Battlemage: Shield build with Phys. to Aether

Yes, I thought I would also try that mace actually. Give it a try, see which one works the best. I’ll continue to update. Currently lvl 58 now.

You will not do fine even in early ultimate. A build like this will be so slow that i cannot even put in words what playing such a char is like.

Log/Nemesis/Queen/Sentinels will rape you all day long. Some cannot even be killed (provided you can tank them ofc) because their regen/self heal easily superseed your dps.

BoC/SoT can only be described as “true nightmares”

But I personally somewhat admire this person’s stubbornness, and I really wish he/she can prove us wrong.

hehe well as long as I find it fun to play then I will. And so far so good. I have failed other chars and not given up until lvl 82 or so. We’ll see.

Hope you make it with this build. I can relate yo your stubbornness. I would take a build to level 85 just to hit the same brick wall that others have with some minor tweaks:)

Just cleared ultimate BOC with this build:

Grimcalc: http://grimcalc.com/build/YKd82kR

Weapon: Mindwarp x 2 (w/ 2 x Wrathstone)
Chest: Iskandra
Shoulders: Iskandra
Hands: Voidsteel Gauntlets
Legs: Wraithborne Legwraps
Belt: Tinker’s Ingenuity
Amulet: Iskandra
Ring 1: Screams of the Aether
Ring 2: Band of Eternal Haunt
Medal: Mark of Anathema
Relic: Blademaster Talisman

Total Physical to Aether Conversion: 61%

Very interesting! Sounds like a fallback for me if this fails horribly since I have most of the items you have.

Just hit lvl 65. And so far so good. I have equipped the lvl 65 items I have and will give some Elite end stuff a go now. From what I can tell it is doing fine for now. Hitting the training dummy I see everything between 6K - 21K crits.

So I’m in eraly ultimate. I have not equipped teh last lvl 75 items (Iskandra’s chest and shoulders and the aether gloves). But I am pretty much raping the mobs and elites. Soon at warden. We’ll see how that goes.
I am level 70 now and have good gear and very good resistances. The only thing I am missing is chaos resistance. But that will be solved when I have the reputation I need. I have awesome survivability with almost 9K hp (which isn’t that much really). I only use health potions in bossfights or on hard elites.
So far so good.

I’m playing an aether/fire melee spellbreaker and it works very well. A 22/12 OFF is definitely crazy with Warpfire.

For the 100% chaos converted to aether you can use Clairvoyant’s Robe + Mantle + Albrecht’s Duality if you want to free a slot ring.

I still prefer the two rings for a melee build, since these two pieces aren’t actually melee-friendly (lowish armor mostly).

Not that i think about it, i never have had warpfire on a spellbreaker, although i can see it work pretty well…

@SiriusDream. I’m trying just now to make my CT battlemage become a melee one… I’m going crazy trying to squeeze decent dps out of it without losing survivability. I can run most areas, but it is simply too slow. So, if you manage to make yours a decent toon (that don’t take 30-40 min to run BoC) please post your setup (gear mostly), maybe i have overlooked something obvious.

Sure, will do. Currently lvl 73 and destroying everything I come across. I know it’s a long way to 85 but the feeling is good at the moment. No Iskandra’s items equipped yet but in 2 levels I am all set. I am using the Peerless Eye Of Beronath as an amulet and the Badge Of Mastery (unfortunately no + to Cadence so still looking for that) as a medal.
My most recent finding is that I specced 1 point into Discord in the Cadence branch, which I unspecced just now. It gave me negative DPS.

Other than that I am killing lvl 78 - 79 monsters and lvl 80 bosses with no problem what so ever.

My crits are everything between 5K to 17K at the moment. And they are very frequent as my AOE is very high.

I am thinking about using the Iskandra’s hood at lvl 75 and see where that takes me. I am using the Maw Of Despair for now.

My crits are everything between 5K to 17K at the moment

Sigh…:frowning: This’ precisely what i was speaking about… Any other build at this point of the game has above 20000 >base< dps, while we’re struck with this crappy damage. I tried again because i really like the idea of an aether melee battlemage, but I just do not seem to be able to make one that actually work.:furious:

I even tried to go “elemental” with 100% conversion in this case, but still without fortune:cry::cry:.

Well this is somewhat missleading to me because I feel this is perfectly viable, since I don’t need to play in the top tier DPS charts. I want to play a fun class (fun to me) that does what it’s supposed to do, in regards to what I had in mind for it. And so far I feel that DPS wize it just melts through everything. The crits perhaps aren’t way up there but they are frequent and there are many many small numbers which makes it fast to progress through quests etc.

To me it is awesome so far. Then again if you want more white DPS, ie. the numbers you see on the board when you press i, then this class perhaps isn’t for you. Its a tanky melee class that survives awesomely and does decent dps.

What “works” and what “doesn’t work” is sometimes purely based on ones own opinion on how it is supposed to work.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m no dps-addicted and I’m more than interested in playing any “underground” build that catch my interest… (i have at least 5-6 char that could easily be defined as underpowered:o)

However this build is giving me the biggest problems.

I don’t know where you are in the game (maybe late elite?) but in ultimate i need 2-3 swing to kill even some “white” mobs. Ofc survivability with battlemages is never an issue…

I’m playing with this char in this precise moment, and I’m still trying some other setups that, on paper, should better its performance, so I’m not giving up (albeit, as i said, this’ not the first time I’ve tried, but quite the contrary)

Hmm, yes. Lets see what happens when I am 85. I will give you an update then. Just hit lvl 75 and eqipped 3 Iskandra’s items.

I am in mid Ultimate actuallt, lvl 76 and killing everything pretty easily. Sometimes my toughness dwindles but it’s natural since I am ahead of my level for where I am in the game. But I don’t die.

If this works on 85, I’m not sure. Let’s see.

I’m honestly thinking of trying a Cadence Aether Battlemage. Cadence and Deadly Momentum got a big boost in the last patch, specially in physical damage.

Sure, it will be a pain in the ass to kill Aether resisting enemies like both Herald bosses. But i can murder Valdaran with my full lightning Warder in around a minute or so and that dude is a walking electric plant.