Best pets to attach specific devotions to?

Is there a guide anywhere that runs down which pets are the best for putting which Devotion procs onto?

I’m new to the game, and I’m currently running a lvl 50 Cabalist, with Hellhound, Familiar, and Blight Fiend. I am following Maya’s “Carnival - A Guide to Pets” for leveling, so I currently have Shephard’s Call on my Curse of Frailty, Elemental Storm on Familiar, and Blizzard on Hellhound. But I don’t know if I could be more optimal by attaching them to different pets.

Any thoughts? My main idea right now is that maybe Familiar would trigger Blizzard a little more often than Hellhound because of that triple lighting shotgun? But if Hellhound hits faster, maybe it crits more often? And I just remembered that maybe Hellhound’s attacks are short range arcs that hit multiple targets anyway?

Welcome to the forum and the game. :slightly_smiling_face:

Maya’s done a lot of testing for her pet builds so I expect she’s found the most optimal way to use devotions. But you can always ask her in that thread if she thinks changing them around as you suggest might be better.

Oh, I guess I missed the part of her build where she says which pets to give which devotions to. I’ll go check it again.

Oh you know what? I hadn’t actually read her build directly. I’d only read her Carnival - A Guide to Pets. Which gives a leveling build that doesn’t really resemble any of the Cabalist builds she seems to have for endgame play.

Just have a look at the GT link and see what devotions she’s attached them to.

You can also simply bind devotions to specific pets and test them on dummies yourself.
Measure how many procs there are in a minute.
It’s very quick. I personally test devotions on dummies for every new build.

Are there any sets of dummies that are close enough together to that AOE attacks can hit them all? A single target doesn’t really inform this decision very well.

gear only gets ~1000% pet damage, player damage can get up to %4500 and cunning/spirit bonuses.

Flat damage devotions always seemed a waste to me cause of this. Best to go for RR like Ele storm and Acid Spray imo.

Yes, at Fort Ikon, a short distance north-west from the portal.
I prefer testing on single targets for bosses / hard enemies.

1 Like

Dummies in Fort Icon are my favourite for this.
And a single dummy (Homestead) is also very good to see how your skills will work against bosses when there are no other monsters around.

1 Like

As I mentioned, I’m only lvl 50. Ultra-endgame isn’t what I’m worried about right now.

Though I suppose worrying about being suboptimal with pet devotions is also kindof silly while leveling, lol. I’m just a min-maxer at heart.