Big Caster Pistols Feedback

Foreword

Caster pistols are often being brought up when discussing endgame balance. Reason is quite simple: compared to scepters or daggers, caster pistols offer very little to no advantage: they severely lack damage %, they require cunning (so potentially less investment into Spirit), most of them don’t have enough caster stats (like cdr, casting speed and regen) and their mods can be quite lackluster as well. Here is a list of caster pistols that could be improved and made more competitive. Not to mention, they have 0 benefit from pistol passives aside from some very small % damage that is restricted only to elemental and pierce damage types.

Pistols

Let’s start with a couple of good pistols that have great mods and stats to compensate for a pistol base:

1. Anderos’ Amplifier

And here is how it looks now:

As you can see crucial casting speed was added and to compensate for pistol’s base low %damage rolls a hefty OA roll and a small-ish hp bonus was added as well. For an item that is loaded with build-enabling mods this is a decent trade off despite still being inferior to quite a few caster daggers and scepters. The damage roll is still pretty low though.

1. Ugdenbog Howler

Note that this item has another (albeit minor) mod added to it in the PTR (minus OA to SS). Now this is another example of a good caster pistol. It has two double mods that are useful for some Vitality Ritualists, but it also has base cdr and base casting speed which is pretty big, especially given how good it can become if you roll it with good affixes.

Now, moving to pistols that are fully or partially meant for casters and yet are unfortunately designed in a way that would hold your build back if you don’t have a viable scepter/dagger alternative.

1. Arcanum Sigillis

Now “half” of this pistol is meant for PRM casters, yet you would never see it on endgame elemental or aether PRM builds. Why? Well, competing options (Panetti wand for Elemental and Wrath of the Ascendant for Aether) are infinitely superior to begin with. But really, 26% weapon damage is really nothing for PRM - it’s a very insignficant damage boost and adtch boost overall. Plus pistol doesn’t have vital bonuses to PRM nodes or cdr and its chaos conversion is absolutely wasted on PRM builds.

What can be done? Some more meaningful mods to PRM other than weapon damage. Like something unique like chance of fumble attacks and impaired aim for example. Skill bonuses to Proliferation or Distortion could also make this pistol a competitve option, even 4% cdr roll.

1. Arcanum Electrollis

A caster weapon without identity. If you look at the cooldown reduction, conversion, huge OA roll and RR proc it might look good on paper. But where would you use it? For Wind Devils and most things lightning you have Spark of Ultos that has similar conversion and cdr but is infinitely superior because of its huge damage roll. For Lightning TSS slot is taken because there is Allagast. So the weapon ends up being mostly never used ever.

What can be done? A meaningful and unique mod. Maybe a mod that converts Vindictive Flame into Lightning and flat cd with it? Maybe some flat damage or/and adtch to Storm Box? Casting speed would also be welcome as well.

1. Cindercore

A really obscure caster weapon that was probably last used in Ashes of Malmouth by John Smith. What’s funny about it is that during that it received a nerf in patch 1.1.9.0 and then a small buff (that does not compensate for a previous nerf) in 1.1.9.2, so a net loss to a weapon that’s probably mostly gathering dust on people’s mules. Its mods are more or less okay, but it directly competes with full Ulzuin set or green mace for Canister Bomb and lack of caster stats on it (cdr or flat cdr mods, casting speed and energy regeneration).

What can be done? Cooldown reduction and\or flat cdr mod and some energy regeneration as well as casting speed. Honestly, mods to Canister/Grenado have to be pretty strong for this weapon to be even considered.

1. Arcanum Frigus

This pistol is just loaded with mods, it also has cdr and rare Frostburn duration as well, some OA and a decent conversion (which is partly useless if you take Anubars with Star Pact). What’s wrong with it? Well, a few things. First, the mods itself are quite weak: cooldown Phantasmal Blades is a very weak skill to build around, and a small flat damage bump and very low Chaos to Cold conversion pistol offers is nothing to get excited about. Now Devastation mods. Devastation is one of the weakest skills to build around. And cold damage on a single RR class (which is Arcanist with Cold Devastation) is not strong by any means. Conversion in this mod is also scuffed (should be 100% to even begin a conversation of using this pistol anywhere). And cold Canister is just extremely weak despite mods looking half decent on paper, especially when Canister itself was nerfed into a oblivion and stopped being a prospective skill to build around.

What can be done about it? I think PB mods should offer full chaos to cold conversion, Devastation mod should offer full conversion as well as some flat cd to the skill. Canister mod should also offer flat cd, as well as pierce to cold conversion.

1. Barrelsmith’s Destroyers

Those pistols have been discussed to death and yet almost nothing has been done about them. The main problem with them is that they are the only way to play Lightning Canister/Grenado and they block main-hand\off-hand slots. With that any build that uses them potentially loses on (from not using mh/oh)::

• Up to 13% cdr (maximum cdr from mh/oh is 23%, pistols offer just 10%)
  • Up to +2 to all skills (realistically it would be +1 to each mastery on average from mh/oh, but some builds are lucky enough to indeed have +2 to each mastery from that)
  • A LOT of casting speed (probably 15-20% on average, up to 40%+) and energy regeneration (Canister + Grenado are the most energy hungry skills and it’s almost impossible to play them without Arcanist)

Another glaring problem with pistols design is their weird AA part. Never really used in

any ranged build, it becomes even more useless in the current pass through wps meta.

*What can be done about it? Possible fixes: dropping outdated AA/WPS part and buffing

caster part with caster stats such as casting speed and flat energy regeneration energy regeneration %and ideally +1-2 to Demo skills*

1. Hex Launcher

Strictly inferior to Wrath of the Ascendant or green DE scepter when used with Uroboruuk set on a Spellbinder. Not much to add here. The only redeemable quality it has is that it’s basically “free” (you can buy its blueprint from Coven once you get enough rep)

What can be done about it? A bigger damage boost to DE, as well as maybe some crit or/and something special like fumble/impaired aim to DE and a much higher OA roll.

1. Ugdenbog Repeater and Viper Hemorrhager

Both got decent mods on paper but the problem with Repeater is that it only has one mod. It could definitely be a weapon for physical caster Paladin, so a mod like a flat cd to Rune of Kalastor (or extra projectile) would be more than welcome. As well as some base cdr or/and casting speed.

Hemorrhager is just outshined by all the competing options Bleeding Tricksters have. The mods need to be stronger, especially to PB - which is considered a very weak Bleeding source given how much investment skill line requires. Some base casting speed/cdr would also be nice.

1. Oathbearer and Bloodborer

Both are meant for autoattacking. However both are used in Pierce caster builds since Pierce meta doesn’t really have dedicated caster weapons (and Oathbearer carries very valuable conversion). Both could really use some casting speed since Pierce Inquisitor always casts WoP/Seal/sometimes Horn of Gandarr, and Bloodborer straight up supports casting skill.

Any suggestions and experiences with caster pistols are welcome here. But please let’s not clutter this thread with AA pistols discussion or Rifles/Crossbow discussion which deserve separate topics on their own.

9 Likes

Nice suggestions +1 from me!

Also reminder of my idea for casters boost to Hydra constellation.

4 Likes

alternatively, aside from buffing caster part, which is (obviously a must), the pistols could also be buffed on the wps/AA part, by giving the +skills “to something” weapon attacker relevant; so a potential hybrid bomber-AA build could be utilized a bit
^first priority ofc should be proper caster buffing if hybrid “focus” is too much to ask/too much stat bloat

1 Like

Hybrid most like aint gonna work unless some meme thingy, but i’d like to see some mods for AA part to at least see them work separately.

Disagree on that part. With Barrelsmith there is no way to get %WD on either Grenado or Canister Bomb, as the pistols block all available options. The WPS factor, while secondary, gives the build something to do in between Grenado+Canister cooldowns and provides an avenue for some amount of LL to creep in when kiting isn’t doing the trick. There’s no reason to axe the WPS aspect just cause it’s not desirable for your average AA build, there’s no harm in keeping it there for those that want to use it. It’s not comfy but it can sustain you enough to do SR75-80 deathless.

you use chainlightning or stormfire inbetween attacks, not unmodified AA+30%wps (for which you will likely have rockbottom attack speed for anyway)

1 Like

Actually your AS ends up being pretty much equal to your CS since both weapons lack CS but grant AS. As a result, you end up getting significantly more sustain off of something like Beronath’s Fury due to the large difference in %WD between that and Chain Lighting/Stormfire, which is then made even larger by the addition of the 55%-proc-chance WPS (not 30%) you get for free from the guns, the standard double-tap you get from dual wielding, plus any additional WPS you snatch up along the way (if combining with Inqui for instance). The AoE benefits of Chain Lightning/Stormfire when compared to even this basic AA setup are negligible, as crowds blow up to your bombs like nothing. It’s sustain against single target that’s the focus and there AA and higher %WD helps more than Seal-casting.

so you wanna spend a component, and skill points on wps(inquis/OK), for slightly more single target sustain (which was argued needed where to begin with?) vs component and skill points that fit the build? - sounds insane to me
^or possibly in slight meme territory, like Roman mentioned ?
every single barrelsmith i’ve done ended up with more cast speed than attack speed, because you (obv) focus on cast speed, items, devos, comps etc
(doesn’t mean you can’t get equal or even more attack speed, even if you don’t focus in it)
then you have the issue of interrupts; mixing attack speed and cast speed attacks on low speed is just gonna result in more interrupts, because you will have to wait for those stupid gun AA animations

imo there is 0 sound reasoning here to not relinquish the focus on AA/wps - unless as I suggested Barrelsmiths “double down” and buff the caster side; while adding more for aa+wps side too

I would say having something like this working would be more fun (and unique) than the chainlightning or stormfire standard - and more fitting to the set (edit: so my vote would go for getting the hybrid AA caster)

1 Like

You’re sacrificing 32 % Lightning damage and 4 % casting speed by using one Shard of Beronath vs Seal of Skies. That’s nothing. The build’s damage comes from one-time nukes, you’re not doing sustained casting to need capped CS, so the 4 % is barely noticable as well. You also don’t need to spend any points in WPS if you don’t feel like it. But it’s an option you have and if you do it’s gonna take you under 15 skill points to get 100 % proc rate, since you already get 55 % for free naturally from the guns. 55 % proc chance with decent %WD on a build that normally has access to none is, IMO, a decent enough incentive to integrate AA in some capacity. No secondary damage source you’re gonna integrate in a Barrelsmith build is gonna hold a candle to Canister Bomb/Grenado in terms of damage output anyway, you might as well go for the thing that gives you the most sustain, since that’s what you can’t get on neither Canister or Grenado with Barrelsmith on.

Long story short, I’d be much more in favour of retaining the AA aspect or leaning into it more than just axing it, slapping some CS on and calling it a job well done. They’re guns. Not daggers, not scepters, guns. So let’s use them that way.

1 Like

other caster guns have cast speed, that’s the whole point/argument here
the entire skill and modifier support around the guns is pure caster, there are 2 things that support AA that’s the attack speed and wps, but nothing else, so it needs/should have something if that were to be utilized/supported reasonably
hence why you have people, multiple times, before this thread, asking for these caster guns to support that
crazy as i am i just ask for it support both :grin:

2 Likes

You simply cannot expect that to work unless both pistols get 20% to both attack speed and casting speed, otherwise you’ll fail to either attack or cast bombs, not to mention the setup will be extremely tight on skill points which means it will also need at least +2 all skills to ensure enough of them (its already tight as it is), all of this along with mods to encourage AA play. Believe me, i know what I’m saying here. I tried several iterations of barrelsmith elementalist in the attempt to make a working build and the only setup that barely worked (and by barely worked i mean consistency, some damage which wasn’t amazing and survivability) was using SR set to make up for the missing skill points and tankyness. On that setup i called it “working” because i was obliged to use savagery to get OA and slow res, and as a secondary effect, i could sometimes proc the pistols wps, which barely did anything because the build does not have too much flat damage.

EDIT Not to mention, since people kinda lost track around here, the feedback is reffering to the GENERAL IDEA OF CASTER PISTOLS and not a request of making barrelsmith set a hybrid set. So i would kindly ask people to stay on topic. Thank you! :blush:

1 Like

speaking about barrelsmiths first, I genuinely have no idea why they support any kind of AA as you simply won’t get as and most important points enough to justify its use, as grenade/canister both need a ton of points.

now 'about caster pistols. well, they suck they’re … quite bad. first, is you have 200% more damage when using dagger/scepter and it also allows you to use, say, SS if you play a caster NB (whic guns don’t allow to do).
second, almost all these guns lack CS. I know it may be the part of some old balance shenanigans that “cdr casters don’t need cs” but they do need it for better filler spam and better cast animation at least.

while some of the mentioned guns are not that awful, like Cindercore - just give it cs and replace soldier/keeper with Demo/Arcanist, some are awful - like Arcanum Electrollis.

Not to mention using an offhand means also another extra 200% damage (where its the case) and also a lot of cdr and most important for casters, Energy regeneration!

2 Likes

if only mana leech worked without weapon dmg… :unamused:

also speaking about cindercore, quickly sketched this build Sorcerer, Level 100 (GD 1.1.9.5) - Grim Dawn Build Calculator

as you can see, almost no skill points for anything, very low HP and no extra CD for canister. I think that the pistol could also receive pierce>fire conversion and the helm probably some flat CD to canister.
if I’m up to test this, I’ll write how it will go.

1 Like

Little bump! Pistols still needed bumps here and there.

1 Like

@medea_fleecestealer Since this thread most likely be deleted when the patch comes up, may I ask if this thread be moved to the general ideas & feedback part of the forum? I believe there’s still value in this discussion, and caster pistol without mods has been considered a weaker option instead of daggers or sceptres for long.

I asked Zantai if he was okay with it being moved and he did it himself so it’s now in the Ideas & Feeeback section.

1 Like

There are some pistols that I see have no use or place in-game, and I thought those pistols might be a good place to support some niche conduit build.

Desert Sting looks to be designed for Acid Aegis with innate CDR, has flat acid damage but no skill support to utilize that flat, totally overshadowed by Scion of Noxious Wounds or Plagueblood Carver even if used for acid bloody pox. I think skill should be changed to give a bonus to fire strike or cadence line just to utilize those flat, even so without the speed it may still not be used.

Dissenter, Corpseflayer, and Soulflayer these 3 items are similar with each others. DE part is insignificant considering how many vitality weapon that has +1 to necromancer or some easy to get item like Ascendant Source or Hex Launcher. At least Dissenter opens up and may have some success with ranged aether Cadence if used with good rolled Rutnick’s Blaster. Soulflayer even for conduit build is overshadowed by Wrath of Ascendant.

Frigid Barrel of the Relentless North, selling point for this pistol is the flat frostburn with the chance for big frostburn, the flat damage part is useless on Trozan builds, and Trozan already has far better option than this pistol. ABB part has thought competition with Hagarradian Enforcer.

Mediator is a very weak and confusing item, it’s either an Inquisitor item or an Oathkeeper item, but never a Paladin item. I don’t even know what conduit build may benefit from its minuscule damage. More like a glorified yellow item or even Francis’ Gun.

Mutiny, RF part decent until you get Venomlance, still it’s lacking speed so you may want to take Coven Venomlauncher instead for such build. Just like Plagueborne Revolver, not worth to take for RE build, and almost every acid item has DEE support, and the best one with modifier also gives a bonus to Vile Eruption. Mutiny can be made to support acid Devastation or Canister Bomb

Witchstalker the hippies gun totally synchronized gun for chaos Deceiver if it has cast speed that is, as FoI really needs that leech and can ditch scales for such build. Can be chaos FS until you get Darkblaze and Exterminus combo.

Chillborer, outshined by every other weapon that has +2 to Star Pact which coincidentally some of them also support OFF. Doesn’t offer anything to RoH build, and worse than yellow affix Spectral Longsword.

Aldur’s Inquisition, for FS we got Arcanum Sigillis, for rune build we got Anderos’ Amplifier. I don’t think elemental RF is a thing, it has the opportunity to be used together with Hyrian’s Bulwark and elemental Aegis Conduit.

Orwell’s Revolver, for Tactician shadowed by Exonerator. Lightning Mortar build can easily reach 22/12 Heavy Ordnance, can found a use if it’s replaced to bonus to +1 demo, still, it will be shadowed by Rune of Elgoloth in Mortar build.