Blight Fiends lack an identity compared to other pets

Most of the feedback regarding pets has traditionally been focused around specific builds and how they perform in end-game scenarios. With tougher challenges punishing specific playstyles, however, the need to establish an identity within the game is more apparent than ever. With Callagdra specifically designed to punish close-range gameplay, the fact that nearly all pets operate in melee range make their state a lot flimsier than they used to be, and with more content around the corner, I wanted to bring up an idea to make the pets more distinct in their roles.

Shaman’s Briarthorn: Was originally meant to be the “tank” pet with higher base resistances than most and a big Ground Slam taunt, but with the current changes bringing it down, it’s more like a Bleed DoT applicator and aura buffer?

Occultist’s Raven: Meant to be a long-range fighter with a big long-range Lightning attack, but the Defensive stance doesn’t allow for pets to focus on long-range fighting. The aggressive stance just puts the Raven in melee range to focus on shotgunning big targets with its projectiles; but runs into the same problems as other melee range pets.

Occultist’s Hellhound: The most versatile pet, as it can take on 2 roles: either simply maxing the base skill and using CDR equipment to turn them into bombers, or maxing out all of its nodes and making it an “off-tank” pet with a taunt and internal damage reduction with Infernal Breath. It’s very equipment heavy to maximize all of its nodes, but you’re rewarded with a pet with huge damage potential.

Necromancer’s Skeletons: Sheer numbers. The potential of having the highest DPS, and great AoE if you bind a low-CD devotion to them. They are supposed to be designed to be disposable, with resummoning a necessary evil.

And now, the Blight Fiends. There are 3 nodes, so there is extensive equipment requirements, but Rotting Fumes just seems like a useless node now. There’s often enough pet OA for the DA shred to not matter, and with nasty monsters preferring close-range ground effects instead of direct attacking, the fumble and impaired aim debuffs also do not matter. Blight Burst is a big AoE, but that all depends on how much survivability they have, as it has a rather long cooldown between uses.

Also, its base skill has an on-death proc just like the Hellhound, but the Hellhounds explosion has twice the flat damage of the Blight Fiends, which includes the Blight Fiends Poison ticks, and doesn’t include the Hellhound explosion’s 185% Weapon damage. There is a transmuter that allows you to summon 3 Blight Fiends, but with an uptime so small that it’s unlikely to stack the on-death procs.

So all in all, you have yet another melee pet on a class with no pet Phys Resistance that’s far less tanky than the Briarthorn, has a barf attack that’s short ranged and requires yet more melee, and more reliable AoE but without the sick damage potential either the Hellhound nor the Skeletons have.

So with many monsters being so dangerous close-up and many pets being forced into that dangerous range just to function, how can we improve the Blight Fiend so they aren’t effectively a worse version of the Briarthorn or Hellhound? They can’t tank well, they can’t DPS well, they’re only useful for Poison stacking, which performs much worse than other DoTs like Bleed stacking, and their designed set (Ghol’s) performs much worse than Beastcaller’s or Lost Souls.

Anyone have any suggestions that doesn’t involve redesigning their AI or attack patterns?

3 Likes

First of all, I completely agree with the assessments made here :+1:

To add to this, Familiar seems to be the only pet with no CDR mods on items to the Pet. Feels like in the current meta, it could use something along those lines.

It has lost its AoM era tankiness and can no longer be burst summoned in pairs. It is harder to control due to the randomness of its AI and the shotgun nature of its main attack expects it to be in close range, which means putting it in risk of 1 shots.

Being able to resummon it faster should help to make Familiar focused builds more attractive.

1 Like

My take would be to rework the Unstable Anomaly transmute and made it a dedicated suicide pet. Remove the 12s lifespan part, add -50% to -75% life to Blight Fiends, and give it 25% to 50% Total damage modified. This way player can keep all the fiends before fight and the fiends can still be easily killed by enemy to explodes.

I always saw the Briarthorn as the big offensive Pet with higher damage and a more effective DoT. The aura also gives offensive ability which helps other Pets with aggression. Familiar is a ranged support and Hellhound is the tank with its offering of defensive ability, taunt (a recent addition) and damage reduction. And Skeletons are glass cannons.

When it comes to Blight Fiend, I think he fits a niche that is simply hard to notice due to the immense damage potential of Pets: Crowd Control. The ability to keep tons of trash mobs in confusion while dealing large damage just ensures the death of the smaller enemies. This makes the main targets easier to reach, isolate and eliminate. This is easier to notice against enemies that have large crowds around themselves (like Zantarin). I don’t think there’s a need for a rework, but they could be a little tankier. They tend to die far faster than the Briarthorn or Hellhound, so I believe they need a little boost to their survivability.

I always thought BF transmuter node was intended to enable the bombing playstile, yet it never functioned for that purpose. Last time i tried it, it required copious amounts of CDR for very, very debatale effect and unfun spammy playstile.

That’s where I’d start. Making the transmuted BF into an actual, damaging suicide bomber skill.

1 Like

If the transmuter or a skill mod were made to turn Blight Fiend into a suicidal bombing pet, i would genuinely do a build for it. Combine it with Hellhound and have constant explosions.

Personally, I wouldn’t mind not having any CDR for the Raven if the Defensive stance modified how it fights. Removing the shotgun potential for actually being a ranged pet that doesn’t fly into melee range (maybe a shorter cooldown for its long-ranged Lightning Strike and making its Heal ability… not useless) would be well-worth the longer cooldown, at least for me.

The question that will inevitably come up is: “why talk about reworking the Blight Fiend now, when it’s been this way since it was released?” The main answer is: as long as we’re introducing more abilities that punish melee-spaced attackers (I’m sure there will be plenty of those in the new expansion), spamming multiple close-ranged pets just becomes more of a liability. I mean, having pets that run and explode is a cool concept (even if Hellhounds simply do it better), but people do take care about the survivability of their pets, and allowing some pets to operate capability in range just makes the experience more well-balanced and allows people to better tailor those builds against content that requires a more nuanced approach.

In terms of performance, I’ve posted 2 Unstable Anomaly builds for the 1.2 patch: full Acid/Poison pets and Lightning bombers. It doesn’t exactly help my case that my best-performing pet build, in terms of SR speedrun, Crucible and superboss times, has been Ghol’s, but the drastic hit to pet survivability in 1.2.1, combined with the increased Superboss Sunders in melee range, I doubt I’d get anything remotely close to what I’ve able to obtain.

I’d like Blight Fiend to focus more on the DoT side with an expanded Blight Burst, so it doesn’t feel like it has to stay in melee range to get off its big nuke. That way, it keeps its disposable role in that it sacrifices itself to get into melee range and stack more DoTs, but if you don’t want to constantly summon and explode, the Fiends can take a more relaxed role. The biggest issue is that Rotting Fumes has really become obsolete with all these new changes, so adding something to it that makes it more useful (maybe lowering the cooldown of its Blight Burst like NJE does to Shadow Strike, maybe?) would be imperative to making it a more unique pet.

1 Like

I didn’t want to make a dedicated post for this, so going to just put this in here -

With the current state of pets where keeping most of them alive for long enough is a challenge vs hard content like supers, a build with 6 non-pet items and no sets performing better than Bysmiel’s Trinkets with all pet items -

5:30 kill with Dark One vs 13 minutes for Trinkets.

Perhaps not a perfect comparison, but it was certainly an unexpected result for me :sweat_smile:

1 Like

This thread was a Blight Fiend thread but now it has become birds.

Bysmiel’s Set isn’t a bad set at all if you want to focus on 100% survivability. Turns out the Raven’s Mend Flesh skill is actually good now but nobody would have noticed because half the items that boost Mend Flesh are behind non-Mythical Level 50-70 items (and they’re jewelry, so even if they were Mythical, they’d be blocked behind the set anyway).

You’re exchanging a lot of DPS for safety, but I never had the health bar go below half once. Mind you, I’m not a facetanker and enjoy maneuvering to get away from the giant sand shotguns, but the Ravens’ heal is distinctly noticeable when you see damaged pets get healed up to full.

It is annoying that once or twice, the Defense position Briarthorn, whose sole purpose in life is providing the Emboldening Presence buff, will rush against the enemy and get itself shotgunned to death by the sands, but that only happened once or twice?

It is a 9-10 minute kill against Dark One’s 6 minute kill, but still, seeing a pet healing skill actually function as intended is at least good news. Now why is Mend Flesh a 16 point skill again?

2 Likes

For those who are masochists (that max it out), so they get less choice of already point hungry system (where we already need bond of bysmiel, dreeg blood, primal exclusive skills - so on & so forth).

It should be like 8 point skill max to begin with, maybe even 6, then I would consider maxing it out. U are also right about that, there aren’t many items to max current fiend heal atm anyway so that would only be next logical step.

1 Like

Latest Playtest build seems much better for pets than before. 16/16 Mend Flesh with Trinkets Familiar seem decent at keeping both player and pets alive.

Build used for testing is my Trinket’s version of Fluffy Squishy which was going SR140 in 1.1.9.8, so it was a tanky build to begin with, but given all the changes in the current playtest patch, personally, I find this pretty good for something where pets used to die in like 2-3 seconds after being summoned vs Cally.

Tested it against my Dark One, 3 Wendigo Totem setup and Dark One still managed a faster and safer Cally kill -

Note - you can combine both Dark One and Bysmiel’s Trinkets ofcourse, but there is no real need for it and not sure if that would make things better to begin with.

Personally, I would say that pets could use a bit more love.

And yes, I understand that it is unrealistic to expect 2 Familiars to be able to compete with 3 Totems for healing but, the 3 totem build is getting a faster kill despite having 6 non pet items while the Familiar build only has the Shield as a non pet item.

On one hand, I suppose it is good for build diversity that unorthodox setups not relying on pet sets can not only compete but even do better. But, it also feels a bit strange that the hardest Pet Set to obtain (since Bysmiel’s Trinkets does not have any Blueprint) isn’t stronger.

Beastcaller obviously did well and better than everything else I tested, but I don’t think that surprises anyone

The change to the Helm Skill, making it a proc on Attack also feels really nice. But it seems bugged atm since you can cast it manually as well. Not really a big deal since it is the same skill and they share cooldown, so isn’t exactly exploitable, but still…

1 Like