Broken characters saves (Steam Cloud)

Hello there!
In 2018 I completed “Ashes of Malmouth” and delete game from disk. Year later I bought new PC and few days ago I’ve tried to start up game and find out that my characters are missing!
Saves were deleted from my old PC, but I’ve tried restore them somehow. I replaced current saves with restored one, but game doesn’t see my characters. Is there a way to restore my saves?

Archieve with them:
save.zip (299.9 KB)

Welcome to the forum. :slightly_smiling_face:

Then make sure either cloud saving is on in both the Steam settings and the ingame menu if you want to use cloud saving (not recommended really) or for local saves that cloud saving is off in both those locations.

I’ve tried this, but it didn’t help. I think something wrong with my saves (because I’ve restored it after it was deleted).
After I load a game - there is not characters at all. Is there some save validator tool?

No, that’s the only way to get characters back.

Ohh. OK, thank you

Try verifying the game files. And did you back up your characters locally at all before you deleted them?

Unfortunately, no :frowning:
Looks like I need to play game from beginning :slight_smile:

Well, there have been quite a few updates since 2018. There’s another expansion to play for a start - Forgotten Gods - which added a lot to the game.

By restore I’m assuming you mean you used a file recovery program to try to resurrect them directly from the hard drive on which you deleted them?

I’m curious because I decided to take a crack at getting them to work for ya. I downloaded GD version 1.0.4.1, which was released in January 2018 (I also tried it in version 1.0.7.1 from Dec. 2018 first) and was just months after AoM’s release, and I slapped your saves in and the game refuses to see them.

I can only assume that your recovery attempt wasn’t able to fully replicate the files and they are corrupted as a result. The files you provided above are without a doubt completely borked as far as I can tell.

One other thing you could potentially try is to view your Steam Remote Storage directly in a web browser…

https://store.steampowered.com/account/remotestorage

…scroll til you find Grim Dawn in your listings and then click the Show Files link next to it and see if your old character saves happen to be listed here. If they are you can try downloading these instead.

Yes, you was right, I’ve used such recovery program. I checked status ot the saves and it had errors. So, it’s looks like corrupted recovery. Steam Remote Storage already has broken files and it’s impossible to know that was there before :slight_smile:
Thanks a lot for you try! You did so much to help me!