Buy Now going down / Humble Store going up

Sometime next week we’ll be taking down our “buy now” page in order to make a switch over to Humble Store. We’re partnering with them for payment processing and distributing builds because, well, they’re better at it than we are and can provide much requested payment options we can’t, such as PayPal.

For anyone not familiar with Humble Store they’re an indie distributor best known for the “Humble Bundle” deals they put together. There is no DRM involved and they aren’t a service you sign into like Steam, just a place to buy and download games.

The other benefit is less distractions for us and time taken away from development since they’ll be handling distribution and customer support for things like payment problems, missing keys, etc, that currently absorb some of our time and attention. They’ll also be able to provide Steam keys, for those who want to play on Steam, when the times comes for that.

On a related note, once we make the switch, we will no longer be able to offer the perk of getting your name in the credits as we will have no good way to facilitate it with purchases outside our own system. I’m sorry for anyone who may have missed out but I think we’re also getting to the point where there would just be way too many names to display.

Once Buy Now goes back up with the Humble Store widgets, we’ll be one step closer to releasing alpha. I’ll provide a more info about that soon but the boss is finished and I’ve finally finished my work on Occultist. We’re working on various odds and ends now that need to get done and also trying to resolve some major bugs that we don’t want to release alpha with. :cry:

The most serious is causing things not to spawn properly, which can result in missing underground entrances, quest monsters and even bosses. We expect there will be plenty of smaller bugs in alpha but we don’t want people fighting through the last dungeon only to find an empty boss room. We have top people working on these issues though and the delay just means more awesome content is getting in every day. Zantai should have some examples for you to feast your eyes on Monday. :wink:

In the meantime, here is an interesting article on PA Report about Humble Store that provides more information.

Sounds like a good way of handling this, especially seeing as Humble is indie as well. :slight_smile:
Can’t say this affects me, as I’m a Kickstarter backer (with my name in the credits already :D), but I think this should be well-received news for everyone who hasn’t bought the game yet.
Another fair and well written post medierra, especially the in-game news; every small bit of development is a step closer to alpha, and as such, the final release. :wink:
Cheers,
Younghappy :slight_smile:

Luckily I have my name in credits for a while now, but I just had to update it since I didn’t not like my current nick. Best of luck fixing that bug at the end. :wink:

My Spidey senses sense the Alpha being released on Monday. You simply can’t feast enough on screenshots. It could be gameplay footage though. Anyway, that’s my guess.

Might be your spidey sense is playing an April Fools joke on you. :stuck_out_tongue:

I was expecting something like this to happen. Never trust anything on April Fool’s Day, especially if it’s supposed to be something important such as a Grim Dawn update. :stuck_out_tongue:

One question, how many names are there in the credits at this point?

I believe it is over 2000 now! Going to need a long piece of music for the credits.

Question: I already bought the name in credits thing, but haven’t gotten around to setting it yet. Will I still be able to after this?

Again, some good news and communication :slight_smile:
Good luck for major debug phase !

Mmmh I had not thought about april fool’s day…

from How the Humble Store may challenge Steam: the business of helping indie devs sell games
The terms are also more than fair. The Humble Store simply collects 5% of each transaction.

That’s unbelievable low. They undercut every service, don’t they? Even KS fees are higher.

Wouldn’t it have been quicker to set your name for the credits instead of posting this? :stuck_out_tongue: Are you still working on the name? Anyway I assume the Set Your In Game Credit page will stay for keys from Crate’s system.

Yes, 5% is extremely fair. Of course, you don’t get anywhere near the type of exposure that you would on Steam but that exposure definitely comes at a premium.

People can still set their names in the credits if they already own a key but just haven’t done so yet.

Thank you for the heads up med. Humble Store seems like a good choice for you guys. Good to know that alpha is getting a little bit closer and i wish you squash those bugs soon! :wink:

Omg, I can feel GD alpha will be released during my one and only week of holidays this year. :frowning:

Prolly will be my worst holiday trip ever.

GF: “Isn’t spending time with me on the beach much more fun than playing GD?”

Me:

Congrats! They seem like a very fair partner.

for the moment they’re going to developers individually to invite them to use the Humble Store.

Which makes me wonder, did they approach you, or did you approach them? Either way, this seems like great news!

Sounds like a great change :slight_smile:

so I assume that those that already got the game will be able to download using the humble Bundle store as well?

but great news on getting a partnership with them, as they are making a lot of noise and have a few games on their store already, so great to see that GD will be added to the list too, plus it will be a DRM free version, alt version to steam, (plus yes they can provide steam keys too)

so it sounds like alpha won’t be this month then? that is a pity, I had high hopes it would be, but yeah, better get those bugs sorted otherwise it will be very bad, but take your time and give us a good alpha,

overall, I think the switch to Humble Bundle store is nothing but a good thing

as for KS, there are two fees, one for KS itself that is 5%, and the other been amazon payments, (if it’s US project) that also takes 5%

but anyway, 5% is very fair for HB, so great news

I am intrigued by who these ‘top people’ might be. Could they be the same individuals who were given possession of the Ark Of the Covenant towards the end of the first Indiana Jones movie? I think we should be told!

In other respects, this seems like a really positive development. Thanks for sharing the information with us.

Me, scoop the alpha announcement? I like my head where it is*, thank you. :eek:

(*On the desk next to me, while I work)

Completely forgot about this… I won one of the free keys that were given out by sleepwalker awhile ago and it was confirmed that the alpha would be included with the key. This is where I get a bit confused as when I tried to add the key to here: http://www.grimdawn.com/setcreditname.php

It didn’t really respond and I assume that since the key has the alpha it probably has the in game credits thing as well. Am I a bit late then?