Call of Cthulhu 2018 - Cyanide Studios

Call of Cthulhu gameplay teaser

I guess “looking forward to” isn’t my disposition as I have seen countless titles tack on a pc version like a drunken sailor complete with crappy console style control movement stuck right up yer @ss.

Cyanide did a good job with the pc version of Styx except for their limited keybindings and mouse controls which didn’t help me at all with my Logitech Trackman Marble.

Let’s see if it ends up worth a buy like Dark Souls

Cthulhu-themed games tend to fail though. Maybe Cyanide will do it ok. I still have CoC:Dark Corners of the Earth which I haven’t played yet because it didn’t work properly on pc. I also played CoC Wasted Land on my droid and it was good except unstable. We will see soon enough.

CoC Dark Corners on PC used to work, you just needed a mod to get certain areas to be playable (stupid bugs…). I played through the whole thing a few years back, prolly on windows 7 so who knows if it works on win10. Definitely worth a playthrough despite all the bugs.

I’m hyped for all the Lovecraftian games coming soon. This one, and sinking city. I’ll probably be let down but whatever, you don’t get to dive into a lovecraftian rpg/adventure game often… many of the games on steam that claim to be lovecraftian are really not.

this would have been the much better name for the GD expansion:D

what would have been ? Call of Cthulhu ? Sounds like that would get them into trouble…

Yeah doesn’t make sense considering cthulhu isn’t even a character in GD

Isn’t the whole mythos in the public domain by now? It’s been a long time.

According to Google Chaosium seems to have trademarks on “Arkham Horror” and “Call of Cthulhu” while Lovecraft’s stories are in the public domain

I am a big fan of anything “Lovecraftian”… read all the Del Rey books and printed out the few unpublished shorts yrs. ago. I even read HPL contemporaries and Derleth’s “mythos” stuff -which weren’t half-bad. Much of H.P. Lovecraft’s work (possibly 2/3rd) is multi-genre and not just eldritch maddening horrors. I didn’t much care for the dreamquests and scifi-ish HPL but oh well.

Very few screen adaptations were worthwhile although Stuart Gordon’s Dagon seems to grasp HPL flavor best.

Insofar as games I believe Frictional have done an awesome job of evoking the dread and terror that are the hallmarks of anything Lovecraftian.

GD themes have quite a lot of mythos-influenced stuff from the overall tone/art/sound to more obvious nods like the Cthonics and Eldritch constellations.

I’ll pick up CoC 2018, but I’ll wait a while as I do for any game before purchasing. Normal for me is at least a year out. New releases reward the first folks that purchase them with complimetary QA bug/balance testing.