Characters not updating in screen selection

Hi everyone!

I just reinstalled GD after a long hiatus without playing and much to my surprise, after panicking for not finding out my characters, I realised I had to deactivate Steam Cloud Save in order to force the game to load my local save files and… it still showed some issues.

I created a new character and, even though I chose Female, it showed as Male. Weird, but after deleting and creating a new one, it remained as female.
After playing a while, I go back to the menu and I find out that my new character is still with the baseline clothes of Lvl 1.

I click on enter to play and… the character is on the correct level and with everything equipped.

So my question is… why is it appearing as a lvl 1 without anything equipped on the character selection? Why all those problems when loading characters from local?
Am I doing something wrong?
The game is unmodded btw.

EDIT: The character as shown in the selection screen.

The same character once ingame.

Are you playing with any mods installed?

Also to move characters from cloud to local.

My guess is you have cloud saves enabled in one of these locations:

• grim dawn options menu
  • steam settings: grim dawn → right click → properties → general

And in the main menu for some reason it is loading the incorrect save.
Medea beat me to the cloud save link, but use that if something was amiss with the cloud.

I’ve checked. Cloud saving is checked off both in Steam properties AND ingame.

No mods are in use.
Well, I have GD Stash installed, but is still unused as it is since this last installation.

if it’s not steam cloud
mebe onedrive is hijacking the folder so it’s not actually getting updated
or you’ve got windows defender or antivirus “tampering” with the folder so the game files aren’t immediately overwritten/loaded?
reason i suggest the latter is after 1.2 update bunch of users had WD/AV start interfering with the grim dawn documents folder, specially avast and bitdefender, one user had to go as far as specifically disable ransomware protection before the game could save files there
although it wasn’t related to this specific issue, since save files are still in that location might be similarly impacted in this case?

To me this sounds like having two folders of characters with the same name or sth along those lines
I’d examine the character folders and their names in GDStash if everything’s correct
meaning all characters have the same names as their folders.

1 Like

I don’t have onedrive, not even installed. I’m sure my antivirus is not interfering with any folder as Malwarebytes doesn’t do that. Nor does the Windows Defender.

To me this sounds like having two folders of characters with the same name or sth along those lines
I’d examine the character folders and their names in GDStash if everything’s correct
meaning all characters have the same names as their folders.

Ok that’s what I’m wondering too. I’ve just set up GDStash and curiously the save file located in Documents/My Games throws me an error saying that is not the GD save folder… which is not true? But at the same time is where my characters are?

I’ve checked and on the Steam installation path (the one that follows Steam/userdata/numbers/219990/remote/save) I have the exact same files, folders and characters…

you probably went a step too deep or too early in the GDstash save location pick, i’ve seen that several times in the discord
users/“username”/documents/my games/grim dawn/save
is where it should end in gdstash

I’ve changed the path in GD Stash but, as expected, the actual game still shows the same: my character without anything, as default lvl 1.

It’s a minor inconvenience at best, but I’d like to know why this happens.

changing the path was just to load your chars into stash, tqFan then suggested you check the actual char name within GDstash, and that the char name in char editor GDstash reads 100% matches the char folder name in the save folder
*you enable char editor in config tab in GDstash

Uhmm ok now I might understand what is happenig here.

GDStash shows this character:

AND this one aswell

I think that the game is mixing up those two. Ok. But now, how to make it understand they are the same?

rename it, or alternatively perhaps simply loading the custom mode Necrala into game world to trigger it as FG mod will be enough, unsure
*duplicate named chars can get a bit wonky, tho usually mod flagged chars should be fine distinguished separately by the game (and your mod Necrala does have mod flag tag while the other doesn’t so only discrepancy is not being FG registered)

Ahh I see now what you mean by mod. I have absolutely no idea what mod is that and why is that flagged as it because as I say, I don’t have any mods installed…

I’ve renamed it to Nop and the game does not recognizes my “unmodded” Necrala.

This is my character list as GD Stash shows

And this is my ingame character list.

That new character is a new, unmodded one but now appears as a >male ungeared character…

you’re in custom mode
switch to main campaign

“mods” = custom mode
when GDstash says “user” it’s the mods save folder, ie grim dawn/saves/user

main campaign saves goes in grim dawn/saves/main - those GDstash displays for you as “main”

Ahhhh

Ok ok now THAT makes sense. Finally, that gets it fixed.

Thank you very much! Not a bug, just a user being dumb!

jsut keep in mind you can’t merely copy your custom mode/user folder into main folder, you need to also remove the "mod"flag on them in GDstash if you do
and vice versa, if you copy main folder saves into user folder saves(custom mode) then you need to enable the mod flag in GDstash, otherwise stuff can get kinda wonky (specially if there is then duplicate name in custom mode and main campaign mode without the proper flags)

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.