Cherries

Anyone else gorging themselves on these at the moment? We’re on our 5th kilogram of them so far this season. We’re lucky enough to get them straight from some farmers so direct from tree to punnet to us. Lovely. :slight_smile:

Yes, but they haven’t been great down here in Albuquerque so far. I’ll be up in Wisconsin next week though, I’m expecting they’ll be wonderful. May drive out to the orchards to get some.

I’ve also got a pluot on my desk right now that I’m looking forward to tearing into. I do love the stone fruits…

Haven’t eaten a fucking cherry for like 20 years now. Well, it is actually like 5 because that’s when our tree died, but still.

Thanks for this topic. Really made me love life.

Switzerland likes its seasons for food. It’s apricots and cherries at the moment for fruit. We always smile when we’re out and about through the year too as the restaurants signal the seasons: asparagus in spring, perch straight from the lakes in the summer, game in the autumn and of course fondue in the winter.

That’s how it should be! Many citified Americans are sadly out of touch with the concept of eating seasonally these days. I worked in a grocery store, and I can’t tell you the number of spirited conversations I had about ‘good apples’ in the early spring.

There aren’t any.

I eat fruits and veggies seasonally as much as I can. I miss perch too. If I had time to do some fishing on my upcoming trip I’d go pull some out of Marshmiller Lake… We do have fine trout down here, but Doctor Girlfriend doesn’t really like them.

Well, Switzerland is still very traditional in a lot of ways and also “behind the times”. Think of the US 50 years ago and that’s probably Switzerland now. Shops don’t open on Sundays or religious holidays (of which there are many) and you don’t make noise on those days either. So no mowing the lawn, woodworking, etc, which would be the norm in the UK. I kinda like it because I don’t think we really need to have all days of the week exactly the same. But then I’ve never been a shopaholic.

Not cherries but currently eating through several packs of grapes. I do prefer Cherries though :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, I’m from rural Wisconsin. Shops are closed, farmers market closes early, for entertainment you go down to the park. City life is like being on a different planet.

Yes, right now. This one.

Bad things happen when you eat too many cherries.

Yeah, to the cherries.

I know, I know. You mean bad butt stuff.

Also, how are the cherries up there right now?

Too expensive for me. Disclaimer: everything’s too expensive for me, I’m broke after dropping cash on a new bike. Top ramen 3 meals a day for a while.

Oops, my mistake. We’re just about to finish off our 7th kilogram. :smiley: Will have to get more at the weekend if they’re still around.

I…don’t…like…cherries…

…never…ate…one…in…my…life… * hides *

Then how do you know?

Fresh cherries are the best*

*if local and actually tree ripened. Store cherries are terribad

2 kg per week, as long as they are available. (ever since i could afford it…) dunno what to get after their season, autumn and winter are somewhat covered by boskop and blood orange. as a kid i practically lived in fruit trees in the gardens of my grandparents.

Pears in late summer and apples all fall. I usually take my vacation in October so I can go to the apple orchards in Wisconsin. The orchards in New Mexico are not BiS.

And we’ve set a new record for cherry consumption. Bought another 2kgs last Saturday so that will make 9kgs this season so far. Best before was 8kgs. Almost didn’t find any though so that may be it for us this year. All our regular spots didn’t have any, apart from one farm who did.

Crazy pricing though. Cherries with stalks on 8 francs a kilo, those without 5 francs a kilo. Um, you get more cherries to the kilo without stalks folks.

Didn’t get to cherries yet lol! But I love cherries, if they are direct from the farmers then you are lucky mate :slight_smile: