China cuts children's online gaming to one hour

" Online gamers under the age of 18 will only be allowed to play for an hour on Fridays, weekends and holidays, China’s video game regulator has said.

The National Press and Publication Administration told state-run news agency Xinhua that game-playing would be only allowed between 8pm to 9pm.

It also instructed gaming companies to prevent children playing outside these times.

Earlier this month a state media outlet branded online games “spiritual opium”.

Inspections of online gaming companies will also increase, to check that the time limits are being enforced the regulator said."

2 Likes

Anyone have an opinion on this? I feel like it’s not the worst idea, kids shouldn’t be playing video games all day. However one hour seems a bit stringent. My parents regulated my video game time somewhat when I was a kid, which made me get outside and do other things.

Some limit is good, maybe it doesn’t need to be 1h to have similar effect

1 Like

Nerf to the LPL, it’s time for Europe to win worlds COPIUM

I think that’s harsh, considering certain opium wars :man_facepalming:

On that topic, don’t think cutting online gaming for kids is that bad of an idea, although doubt authorities are doing that just for kids best interests.

1 Like

It’s gonna hurt chinese league of legends scene, majority of upcoming pros are teenagers. I fear it might create an influx of Korean imports to the region.

No limit if your ranking is high enough.

hopefully this will reduce the willingness of international vid game companies to saturate their products’ qualities into china’s mmorpg-y enforced standards. mobile video games are already beyond help in that department unless their market are willing to depend much less over the chinese market.

though i heavily disagree with that china state media outlet calling video games spiritual opium. video games comes in many, many forms and gives lots of varied benefits (and risks) these days to the soul, mind and body. they’re just like any other forms of entertainment (tv, music, arts, etc). its a tool for entertainment (and sometimes education). its only an opium if you willingly addict yourself over them for too many hours at the expense of you and others. again just like many other entertainment venues.

Good points, but the fact is young kids rarely have the self-control to not get addicted to video games.