Coal resource T4 housing

What is chances that t4 houses and above move from firewood to coal for heating? Thoughts?

I believe with some basic rework it would solve the reforestation needed in the late game, also freeing up log splitters, I know it will cost laborers in the mines but it could also be a taxed resource as is spices.

Well, first mention of coal as a fuel to heat houses was in 952 CE in England, so its use in the Medievalish period the game is set in is completely appropriate.

On the other hand, they’ve said we are getting foresters and deep mines, so virtually unlimited coal, iron, possibly sand and clay and stone and renewable timber will be available Soon. That makes it much less necessary to provide substitutes for any of those raw materials - unless on the less fertile maps (Arid Highlands, Alpine) the foresters will be less effective, in which case timber/wood substitutes might be very useful.

Already said that some maps will be better than others.

Thanls. Remembered something like that but couldn’t put my hands on the quote when I was posting.

Makes perfect sense: there’s no point in having several different kinds of maps if they are going to be functionally similar when it comes to resource availability.

Just got a lesson in that yesterday, in fact: rolled up a Random map that turned out to be mostly Alpine, with 4 of the 1200 Stone concentrations and at least a dozen deposits of Gold and Coal - I’ve never seen so much coal on one map before! And, while massively resource-heavy in all the minerals, the map was also pretty well forested, BUT the fertility was mediocre everywhere. It will play very differently from my usual Lowland Lakes maps!

my current map is alpine and it has plenty of iron ore/trees but it has no water and thus no willow or medicinal roots or fish or course lol

it makes it interesting to have no baskets or medicine unless I buy from a trader.
Baskets and willow my traders almost never bring in. So I gave up on that.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.