[Cold Caster] Phantasmal Blades Cold-based Spellbreaker

This is a a Cold based Phantasmal Blades build using the flat Cold Damage in Nether Edge and the item Speaker for the Dread.

Do remember that Phantasmal Blades is a Shotgun skill and the sheet DPS is that of a single projectile.

Actual DPS = Sheet DPS x No. of Projectiles.

Grimtools-

Cold PB Breaker -https://www.grimtools.com/calc/lNkqJL4V

*Screenshot with Pneumatic Burst

Cold Devastation + PB Breaker -https://www.grimtools.com/calc/mN4W6n0Z

*Screenshot with Pneumatic Burst

Aether PB Reaper - https://www.grimtools.com/calc/aZqK7jd2

*Screenshot with Soul Harvest, Pneumatic Burst and Hungering Void

FAQ -

Can the Cold PB work with an Infiltrator/Reaper?

Yes, I personally prefer the defenses of Arcanist so went with it

Which is the best setup among these?

The Cold Spellbreaker is my absolute favorite, the reaper is a close second while the Cold Devastation Spellbreaker is a third. These are just my personal preferences, they’re in no way an actual comparison. Performance wise I don’t have any comments regarding which one is better.

Why go with Time Dilation on Cold Devastation Setup but not on the Cold Breaker Setup?

On the Cold Devastation Setup, Leviathan works just fine. Time Dilation allows me to chain devastations (well 2x at best :p).
On the Cold Breaker Setup however TD doesn’t do much besides help us reduce Mirror’s cooldown. But TD’s defensive capability isn’t needed for main campaign and therefore from a damage POV Leviathan is much better for it in MC.

Can non-Transmuted PB be used in rotation with TSS?

Yes, it works but you loose out on Frenetic Throw’s constant life leech. Although w/o the transmuter each throw is an almost full heal.

Can the Aether Concept work with a Spellbreaker?

The lack of RR is why I am apprehensive to even attempt it.

Why isn’t Lethal Assault being used on the Breaker but Soul Harvest is used on the Reaper?

I personally have a hard time maintaining the temp buff of ABB due to the nature of its activation trigger, it’s a major hit to QoL of the build so I choose not to use it. Bone Harvest on the other hand doesn’t affect our QoL at all and adds to the DPS so the Reaper can afford it.

Will this work w/o specific rolls on this particular dagger??

You don’t need the exact MI dagger, you need a cold weapon with Assassin’s prefix with bonus to Phantasmal Blades.

Is Mark of Consumption usable here?

Mark of Consumption can be used as Medal instead of MoD for even more Life Leech.
I prefer the Circuit Breaker over it.

Isn’t Ultos better than Leviathan?

It is, Ultos constellation would be a great addition for the RR and %Lightning bonuses (for TSS).
I just like Leviathan’s proc and decide to stick with it.

Leveling Tips (Spellbreaker):

1. Skills-

-I never leveled with Phantasmal Blades, no idea how that’d work out

-Use Searing Ember/Flintcore bolts (preferably the latter), their granted skills are Fireblast and Greater Fireblast and should help you a ton till you reach Homestead

-When you reach Homestead spec, to Panetti’s Replicating Missiles. They’re energy intensive so don’t go too deep into them, just get enough to clean trash.

-At level 50 switch to Phantasmal Blades, now you’re set to go. Make sure you have Ectoplasm in your ring slots to cover energy issues that you encounter in the early stages (end-game has zero energy issues)

2. Stats-

All into Physique, spirit investment is required for equipping gear. Make sure your spirit investment isn’t more than the requirement for BiS setup.

3. Devotion-

-Get Elemental Storm (attach it to P. blades) and Wolverine first.
-Get Behemoth
-Then when you have points for Leviathan respec into the devotion setup in the GrimCalc

4. Faction Rep-

-All faction rep is easy to get except Black Legion.
-Kill the Outcast in Normal/Veteran and farm her dungeon and get Legion rep to half way from Honored to Revered
-Make sure you don’t kill her in Elite and Ultimate, she’s important lore wise but that’s not it her resistance augments are priceless.

In Closing-

Back when I first posted this I hadn’t seen any build do this and due to the general lack of unique cold casters I decided to post this one, to my surprise Crate gave a shit ton of support to it and now the concept is really OP.

The other concept is a cute Aether Reaper for those peeps who’ve been looking for Aether Casters that aren’t Arcanist hybrids.

I hope you guys enjoy this.

Reserved for later

Reserved /10cahr

I’ll update in a the next 30 minutes

30 Five Minutes too late … :stuck_out_tongue:

i need a new build now!

Shhh :slight_smile:

Shhh :slight_smile:

Already here :stuck_out_tongue:

Nice one :slight_smile:

Could you post PB skill tool tip breakdown? I cant resist the feeling that manticore acid spray would be much better than rowans crown elemental storm.

Yeah that’s another route one could take, bind Manticore to CD CT and use Whirlpool with Blades. Personally it was too many buttons for me to push.

Btw, do you agree that the modifier for Pierce to Vitality conversion should be a separate transmuter?

that loxmere though! :cry: farming loxmere now as we speak! :stuck_out_tongue:

Want my honest opinion? I like Shard of Asterkarn more. I went for the dagger cause i got 199% Cast speed w/o PB and because the granted skill (Frostborn prefix) is perfect for shotgun build such as this.

He’s a nice chap, he even nullifies you for free. :slight_smile:

P.S he can’t kill me thanks to his strongest thing (energy leech) not affecting me due to 80% resistance to it.

With your toll tip dmg breakdown Im now 100% sure that manticore is better option than elemental storm. You will deal much more dmg and thus have better ADCTH.

Using it on CT is awful idea imho, best place by far for acid spry are P blades itself. Every single blade can proc acid spray, CT will proc it just once on one target, and CT has really limited range to be efficient even if that wasn’t the case.

It would be interesting to have that kind of transmuter option.

Edit: OMFG Double rare Lox dagger :open_mouth:
Edit 2: And double rare shoulders, Jesus man thats totally OP gear :smiley:

-I’ve used Manticore (on a previous setup), and i can tell why you are saying it will have better results because i will be reducing Vitality/Chaos damage as well. Right?

-Tbh i am more comfortable using this setup. Which is the reason this is the only guide i mentioned so many gear options and added an alternate route for the devotion part for anyone looking for alternate setups

-Oh and Acid Spray bound to CD CT isn’t bad, it’s great for bosses (i know, i tried). Your point is valid for trash (since Acid Spray will only proc once). CD CT Acid Spray with Whirlpool is pretty OP. Again too many buttons for me. I only kept Night’s Embrace cause i don’t need to use that skill too often.

-(About the trasnmuter) I know right? I thought of it while levelling this and realized an extra transmuter would do wonders for build variety

Don’t do that :stuck_out_tongue:
I am not the one with OP Gollus’ rings (your BWC Sorc rings)

-I’ve used Manticore (on a previous setup), and i can tell why you are saying it will have better results because i will be reducing Vitality/Chaos damage as well. Right?

-Tbh i am more comfortable using this setup. Which is the reason this is the only guide i mentioned so many gear options and added an alternate route for the devotion part for anyone looking for alternate setups

-Oh and Acid Spray bound to CD CT isn’t bad, it’s great for bosses (i know, i tried). Your point is valid for trash (since Acid Spray will only proc once). CD CT Acid Spray with Whirlpool is pretty OP. Again too many buttons for me. I only kept Night’s Embrace cause i don’t need to use that skill too often.

-(About the trasnmuter) I know right? I thought of it while levelling this and realized an extra transmuter would do wonders for build variety

Don’t do that :stuck_out_tongue:
I am not the one with OP Gollus’ rings (your BWC Sorc rings)

You don’t say… Can confirm the tediousness even though I ended up forcing myself to use it since it was too good too pass up.

So many ways to build PB, great skill. Interesting choice going for the cold damage, I’d have probably just used Clairvoyant + Blood Orb or something along those lines myself.

I’ve tried to compile a list of enemies that can’t be frozen even with -freeze resist, maybe you’ll find it useful:

-Any enemy near a hero with the “unstoppable” aura (unless you use nullification on the hero first)
-Warden Krieg (both transformations)
-High Priest Rolderathis (unless you use nullification on them first)
-Kalis Ka, the Bonehunter
-Pit Master Boris (unless you use nullification on them first)
-Frost Revenant (can still be stunned so w/e)
-Chillheart - Frozen (undead hero)
-Grand Priest Zarthuzellan (unless you use nullification on them first)
-Alkamos, Lord Executioner
-Swarm Queen Ravna (1st form only)
-Terraformer tower Aetherials
-Karroz, Sigil of Ch’thon (the Unraveler that follows can be frozen however)
-Chillmane Alpha
-Ragrathar Rageblood
-Bane’Galgalor, Guardian of the Gate
-Bloodlord Thalonis
-Loghorrean, the Voice of Ch’thon
-the Anasteria from crucible wave 137

-Lol, i literally posted on your 2h-Shotgun Winter’s Embrace build asking for permission to copy this info off your thread. Thanks for this.

-Yeah, my first PB Caster was Chaos/Vitality PB Caster with DG and Wendigo and Doom Bolt nuke. Pretty straightforward setup so never bothered posting that one.

-This however is something most people don’t go for, and people looking for cold casters end up using that shitty spell called TSS (well it’s just shitty to me) so i posted a Cold PB build :slight_smile:

-Lethal Assault doesn’t do much for this build since unlike your build where the %WD of every projectile is high and the number of projectiles are low. In PB the %WD is low but number of projectiles are high. So i can survive w/o Lethal Assault, imho you should drop it too. :slight_smile:
In that MQ video i saw it broke your flow to cast that stupid 3 sec buff. Since you are shotgunning and can freeze 90% of Cairn lethal assault is just a small buff. Still pretty sweet kill you got :cool:

One of them is w/o any rare affixes and other one has one (and its meh suffix of shadows), so even your ring combo that is used on this setup is more OP than those rings :smiley:

I dont have any double rare golus, nemesis shoulders or sect pants, much less some MI wepon :cry:

Tho I do have some Cronleys :stuck_out_tongue:

Hmm, i would like Malakadar’s sword with good rolls, but as you know it’s hard to side with Kymon’s Chosen.

Btw, can you please explain again why lox’s dagger is better than Malakadar’s sword in cold/pierce SB or BM? I mean Malakadar’s sword lies in the same speed class and has plus skills for execution

Huge flat frostburn, +% to crit dmg, more +% to cold, +% to frostburn and its innate cold dmg.
Same speed class yes, but its still slower, tho innate +% to atc speed on MDb compensate for that, and +to execution dont mean much.

Ah, i guess that makes sense.
And what do you mean +to execution doesn’t mean much? On a cold build shouldn’t execution hit even harder?