Collapsible text

I’ll pen ya guys up one more little tip/tutorial here, perhaps you’ll find it useful.

If you’ve seen me around the forum any then you likely know that I use images in my posts ALOT. Screenshots are the best damn thing combined with how easy it is to slap them into Discourse , imo.

I use ShareX:

It’s an amazing tool - the only drawback is it has LOTS of options… and some of the defaults on first install aren’t “optimal”… at least not for me.

What I do anytime I have to fresh install it is:

Go right to the hotkey settings specifically.

You will get this screen:

…and for me personally I am interested in these two hotkeys. By default these hotkeys do a “series” of default actions - none of which I am interested in. The only thing I want my screenshots to do when I take them is to open up my image directly into ShareX’s Image Editor, which is an insanely useful tool. It’s how I draw all my box’s and arrows etc on my images. It makes it dead easy.

So, to get it to only open the editor I click the little gear icons that are associated with the hotkeys, which gives us…

…I am interested in the Override option I have marked. You can see in the text below it ALL the tasks it does by default. Click to enable the override then click the tasks.

See how both the listed tasks are in BOLD compared to the others? That means they are active. Click each in turn to disable them. Then click the “Open in image editor” option to enable it.

…and that’s it. After that all you gotta do is press your hotkeys to take a screen, it instantly opens in the editor…

…and I have access to a wide array of useful editing tools, then I simply copy my image to clipboard and tab over to the forum editor and then hit Ctrl+V to rapidly paste the screenshot into the editor.

Usually only takes me seconds (maybe 10 max if I’m being fussy) to take a screenshot and edit then paste it.

Sorry for the “long-ish” tut… but hopefully someone finds it helpful :wink:

2 Likes

powbam and omnitro have this awesome thread that shows a lot forum format trickery you can do to spiff up your posts even further

really fantastic stuff in there even for just casual user “OP upgrades” :yum:

3 Likes

Thanks, for details I always wrote a longer

<details><summary>Click me</summary>
</details>

Also didn’t know you can Ctrl + V a screenshot

1 Like

Yup! Sure can. I love it :laughing: Best thing since sliced bread :bread: You can do it in Discord too.

Oh, and making screenshots in ShareX which I use without creating a file seems very convenient too.

1 Like

Indeed. It’s how I do the vast majority of my screenshots - nothing gets saved except for the place where I’m pasting it. If I want to save it to disk then I select the option to do so quick.

Also - another great site that supports Ctrl+V of images: Imgur

What is this ad for ShareX? I get it - you like it. But please don’t act like it’s the first program to have all these features. HyperSnap has had them for ~20 years and now many other programs do.

Well… your post certainly isn’t going to be popular now is it Res? Take your angst elsewhere. It has no place here, especially considering that the “ad” is merely a tutorial for setting up a tool that " I " happen to like to use. If that bothers you DON’T read it.

Feel free to show me where anyone made any claim or talk of “who came first”. Noone brought it up except for you and noone really cares.

2 Likes

am i the only one that still/just uses ms paint :no_mouth:

1 Like

For screens? I dunno but I sure don’t. Not when I got faster and easier options :wink:

As far as heavy-duty photo manipulation tho - I just use Gimp if I need to do something more involved than marking a screenshot.

The best I could do. Didn’t manage to make indented nested details to not be sparse.
Alternatively they can be closer but with white bullets next to arrows.
(I changed font color and made everything sparse as side effect just to hide bullets).

Video proofs
  • SR

About SR

• Crucible

About Crucible

2 Likes

[details="[I clicked]"]
I entered text
[/details]

Somehow it couldn’t figure out how to use new ‘‘hide details’’ spec. Can someone explain me the steps like I’m six years old? Because I click the [en.details.title] and write the text between [details] and it doesn’t work.

[details="[en.composer.details_title]"]
[en.composer.details_text]
[/details]

The problem you are having is the brackets that are still around [I clicked] in your first example:

[details="[I clicked]"]
I entered text
[/details]

Get rid of them, and…

I clicked

Abracadabra!

1 Like
Oh I see

Thanks @powbam

And how do I make them colorful without making the hidden text as colorful aswell? I can only make all same color or nothing. Also can’t make the title bold aswell.

1 Like

I went ahead and stole this real quick from this thread OP’s other new thread @Torzini . You’ll need to use html, unfortunately, instead. Might be able to do it with markup/bbcode but I’m being too lazy to screw with that at the moment :slight_smile:

<font size=5, color=#E0B0FF>
<details><summary><b>Reasoning behind the build</b>
</summary>
<font color=ddddd> <font size="3">
Look ma, no colors!
</details>

Which becomes this…

Reasoning behind the build Look ma, no colors!

It’s definitely alot more “work” but it’s what we gotta deal with to actually make some things work right.

3 Likes

I used a different method with 1 color but the arrow is not colored

Attributes powbam
<DETAILS><summary><font size=5 color=#56d054>Attributes</font></summary>
powbam
</DETAILS>

@fordprefect

2 Likes
I should save this, it's easier Thanks @tqFan but I also need the color codes I guess since I wrote ''cyan'' and this color happened :smiley:

color=ivory

These work Color Names
although I usually create a color in Paint / some website and use some converter from RGB to Hex.

1 Like

Since the topic of taking (partial) screenshots came up, I just wanna mention that Windows 10 has a built-in feature for just that.
Press the windows key (between ctrl and alt) + shift + S, that’ll bring up a toolbar at the top of the screen. You can switch between different capture methods, default is rectangular selection. Mark the area to screenshot, then hit ctrl+V to paste the selection into the forum, discord or your editor of choice.
In some games this doesn’t work however, in those rare cases I use Greenshot which is a simple (and free) tool that does the same thing.

1 Like

Nice - never even heard of that one. Bookmarked it to check it out sometime - I’m a software junkie, like to try them all.