Community Localizations (Build 24)

Create a Localization

Grim Dawn reads community localizations from the “/localization” subdirectory of the location the game is installed. This is usually similar to “Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Grim Dawn”. The game reads directly from a .zip file containing your localization files, which can be created using any standard .zip utility.

A community localization consists of a .zip file containing the localization texts along with a “language.def” file which tells the game the name of the localization as well as the font set to use.

example language.def:

language=French
fonts=FR
author=John Smith

The name given in the language field is what shows up in in game options. Community localizations appear as “community_French” for example in the language selection box in game options.

Currently the following font sets are available:

“CS” - Czech
“DE” - German
“EL” - Greek
“ES” - Spanish
“FR” - French
“HU” - Hungarian
“IT” - Italian
“KO” - Korean
“NL” - Dutch
“PL” - Polish
“RU” - Russian
“ZH” - Chinese
“SK” - Slovak
“PT” - Portuguese
“BG” - Bulgarian
“JA” - Japanese

If you are working on a localization and require a font set for a different language, please PM me the request along with a link to the unicode alphabet for your desired language.

Item Localization

Gender Support

If you want to make use of gender support, you need to edit tagItemNameOrder (it’s the first tag in “tags_items.txt”) to use ‘a’ instead of ‘s’ for the genderized parameters, and specify the index of the parameter which contains the item gender to use for the item.

for example (genderized prefix/quality/style/suffix, with gender chosen by name)

tagItemNameOrder={%_3a0}{%_3a1}{%_3a2}{%_s3}{%_3a4}

Gender codes would then be given to each tag representing an item name. The code present in the name is then used to pick from the genders supplied in other tags.

for example, a masculine singular object would be defined as follows:

tagSword=[ms]Sword

and a genderized suffix would be defined:

tagSuffixPower=[ms]Power[fs]etc[ns]etc

Recognized gender codes are:

[ms] Masculine Singular
[fs] Feminine Singular
[ns] Neuter Singular
[mp] Masculine Plural
[fp] Feminine Plural
[np] Neuter Plural

Reorder All Item Names

If you want to change the order in which item names are built for all items (from prefix/quality/style/name/suffix to some other order), you can change the parameter indexes around in tagItemNameOrder.

for example, name/quality/style/prefix/suffix (all items)

tagItemNameOrder={%_s3}{%_s1}{%_s2}{%_s0}{%_s4}

Recapitalize Item Names

If you want to recapitalize the item name string after it is created you can prepend ‘$’ to tagItemNameOrder. The string will be changed so that only the first letter is capitalized.

tagItemNameOrder=${%_s0}{%_s1}{%_s2}{%_s3}{%_s4}

“Godly Plate of the Whale” would become “Godly plate of the whale”.

If you want to mark a specific tag to prevent recapitalization you can prepend ‘$’ to the tag.

tagSuffixWhale=$the Whale

The item name would then become “Godly plate of the Whale”.

Individual Item Tag Reordering

If you require it, you can reorder only some tags, for example to move a certain prefix to the end of the item name, you can prepend reordering info to the tags.

The code is |X where X is from 1 to 9 indicating the new location relative to the locations of other tags.

tagPrefixToBecomeSuffix=|1Warrior's

Tags without reordering info set are considered to have ‘|0’. The tags making up the item name are then sorted in order of their indexes and the item name is created.

In this case, Warrior’s would be moved to the end of the string since all other tags aren’t reordered.

Conversation Localization

Gender of Target

You can change npc speech in conversations based on the gender of the target the npc is talking to (usually the player) using gender tags.

Hello [[ms]sir[fs]madam], how are you today?

Support for Scriptio Continua

If your language uses scriptio continua and you are encountering text wrapping issues in conversations, add the line “wordmode=false” to your language.def file.

Questions?

If you have game related issues with your translation you can post in this thread for help.

Thanks to the community localizers for their effort!

Files have now been posted, thanks for your patience.

Thanks Rhis for releasing the b24_english.zip very quickly!

Thanks Rhis :wink:

First bug: http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showpost.php?p=206986&postcount=74

As described in my post, pls don’t forget to fix it.:cry:

Second bug: Intro screen display bug. {^n} symbol doesn’t work any more.

Localization file:

Thanks for quick support! :smiley:

Why! After my translating the new text a little, and playing as a test, the kanji came to be displayed properly! The text became very readable. I appreciate Rhis so much for having carried out without forgetting adjustment of a Japanese display. :smiley:

Thanks for the files, Rhis! (And the Japanese translation looks great, now!)
By the way, it is not very important, but the credits don’t appear translated (although I translated them).

Here’s a little puzzle for the new build.

As you can see, belts and other gear reference their category in the subtitle explanation in crafting. When translated this works normally. In the above case Magic Belt uses [a]Magic[s]Belt, and everything is ok.

However, for all around armor like the above chestguard, pants, spaulders etc., the description is consisted by just the adjective - Magic. It looks neater this way, as the adjective describes the title of the item, but when running localized, the lone adjective will show a [ms]Magic[fs]Magic… Gender not found, because there is no dependency between the description and the title as far as I know.

Have any of you guys found a way to tackle this?

Sorry if this has already been cleared somewhere else, but where can I find the new Edwin_02.txt file?

Will be posting it soon, hopefully later today.

Thank you for your quick reply!

@Rhis
Nice to read!

Hello Rhis,

will you post the file Edwin_02.txt soon? Translators are keen to complete the version B24 :slight_smile: And do You think there will be many changes between B24 and B25? Texts looks almost complete to me.

Thank You.
Rottenflesh

I’m also waiting for the Edwin_02.txt. Although I made a new text by trial and error as usual, I don’t have the confidence that this is completely right.

Zip updated for hotfix 2/3 changes.

Thank you for posting a translation file for hotfix 3 quickly!

Thanks Rhis :slight_smile:

Hi devs. As you can see, I have this problem: the percentages and the text overlap.

salut all_zebest

I also hope a display becomes more flexible. However, displaying without overlapping temporarily is possible.

A. Since a big space occurs below when the top terms are four lines, you have to make it three or less lines.

B. When UI is expanded, a part will not be displayed if it is 8 or more characters. Therefore the number of characters must be less than 7. For example, “Taux d’armure” -> “Taux de Armure”.

C. Eight lines of description are too long. Six lines are most suitable (c1), but can display without overlapping in seven lines (c2). When you feel it to be slightly tight, space will be made by adding a newline code ({^N}) to the head of the line (c3, c4). However, a little excessive blank arises at a bottom.

c3
tagCharStatsArmorTotalDescription={^N}Si le taux d'armure est élevé, les dommages à subir une attaque physique est réduite. Bonus obtenu à partir d'autres que l'armure est ajouté à tous les emplacements d'armure.

c4
tagCharStatsArmorTotalDescription={^N}{^N}Plus votre taux d'armure est élevé, moins vous subirez de dégâts d'attaques physiques. Le bonus est la valeur ajoutée par les objets non-armures et est divisé uniformément entre vos emplacements d'armure.

incidemment
tags_uimain.txt : 2013 -> 2015 :wink:

I have another question to devs. Why isn’t the waist (belt) displayed?