Community Localizations (Build 30)

Create a Localization

Grim Dawn reads community localizations from the “/localization” subdirectory of the location the game is installed. This is usually similar to “Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Grim Dawn”. The game reads directly from a .zip file containing your localization files, which can be created using any standard .zip utility.

A community localization consists of a .zip file containing the localization texts along with a “language.def” file which tells the game the name of the localization as well as the font set to use.

example language.def:

language=French
fonts=FR
author=John Smith

The name given in the language field is what shows up in in game options. Community localizations appear as “community_French” for example in the language selection box in game options.

Currently the following font sets are available:

“CS” - Czech
“DE” - German
“EL” - Greek
“ES” - Spanish
“FR” - French
“HU” - Hungarian
“IT” - Italian
“KO” - Korean
“NL” - Dutch
“PL” - Polish
“RU” - Russian
“ZH” - Chinese
“SK” - Slovak
“PT” - Portuguese
“BG” - Bulgarian
“JA” - Japanese
“VI” - Vietnamese
“TH” - Thai

If you are working on a localization and require a font set for a different language, please PM me the request along with a link to the unicode alphabet for your desired language.

Item Localization

Gender Support

If you want to make use of gender support, you need to edit tagItemNameOrder (it’s the first tag in “tags_items.txt”) to use ‘a’ instead of ‘s’ for the genderized parameters, and specify the index of the parameter which contains the item gender to use for the item.

for example (genderized prefix/quality/style/suffix, with gender chosen by name)

tagItemNameOrder={%_3a0}{%_3a1}{%_3a2}{%_s3}{%_3a4}

Gender codes would then be given to each tag representing an item name. The code present in the name is then used to pick from the genders supplied in other tags.

for example, a masculine singular object would be defined as follows:

tagSword=[ms]Sword

and a genderized suffix would be defined:

tagSuffixPower=[ms]Power[fs]etc[ns]etc

Recognized gender codes are:

[ms] Masculine Singular
[fs] Feminine Singular
[ns] Neuter Singular
[mp] Masculine Plural
[fp] Feminine Plural
[np] Neuter Plural

Reorder All Item Names

If you want to change the order in which item names are built for all items (from prefix/quality/style/name/suffix to some other order), you can change the parameter indexes around in tagItemNameOrder.

for example, name/quality/style/prefix/suffix (all items)

tagItemNameOrder={%_s3}{%_s1}{%_s2}{%_s0}{%_s4}

Recapitalize Item Names

If you want to recapitalize the item name string after it is created you can prepend ‘$’ to tagItemNameOrder. The string will be changed so that only the first letter is capitalized.

tagItemNameOrder=${%_s0}{%_s1}{%_s2}{%_s3}{%_s4}

“Godly Plate of the Whale” would become “Godly plate of the whale”.

If you want to mark a specific tag to prevent recapitalization you can prepend ‘$’ to the tag.

tagSuffixWhale=$the Whale

The item name would then become “Godly plate of the Whale”.

Individual Item Tag Reordering

If you require it, you can reorder only some tags, for example to move a certain prefix to the end of the item name, you can prepend reordering info to the tags.

The code is |X where X is from 1 to 9 indicating the new location relative to the locations of other tags.

tagPrefixToBecomeSuffix=|1Warrior's

Tags without reordering info set are considered to have ‘|0’. The tags making up the item name are then sorted in order of their indexes and the item name is created.

In this case, Warrior’s would be moved to the end of the string since all other tags aren’t reordered.

Conversation Localization

Gender of Target

You can change npc speech in conversations based on the gender of the target the npc is talking to (usually the player) using gender tags.

Hello [[ms]sir[fs]madam], how are you today?

Support for Scriptio Continua

If your language uses scriptio continua and you are encountering text wrapping issues in conversations, add the line “wordmode=false” to your language.def file.

Questions?

If you have game related issues with your translation you can post in this thread for help.

Thanks to the community localizers for their effort!

Thanks Rhis :slight_smile:

Hi Rhis,

Many thanks! :smiley:

Thank you for your support! :slight_smile:

Thanks Rhis but I did not notice you released the texts during yesterday. Please unstick build29 thread and stick the this one to make it first on the page. Thanks :slight_smile:

Thread has been properly stickied. Thanks!

Hi devs,

we waited to release patch B30, as you recommended us, to commemorated with a few changes that you promised to discuss during January before the game will be released. That’s why I write now and I want to know and not only me, but I think that other community translators too, if you will make some of these changes for our non-English versions:

• Lores: if the lore name has long text in English, you are adding a tag Title. Unfortunately, some translations must shorten the name, even where there is no Title tag. It is thus possible to add the Title tag for all Lores? In English it should have same text as normal name.

• Quest log: all quests and npc talkings used genderizaton, but in the quest log is not applied, because in full descriptionthere are remaining tags ms, fs etc. Can you adjust this text to be identical and description of quest should use genderization too?

• tags_items.txt: tagStyleUniqueTier2 (3), tagFactionTier - these are the styles of items that are not use genderization as other styles. Can be these styles adjusted to be used by the same rules? With this we have a problem, that “female” items are allocated with masculine form style.

• tags_skills.txt: In Czech translation we decided to not genderizate individual skills, but if a player chooses a Mastery, the description could be resolved, whether it is a woman or a man. I don’t know, if this could be written in chosen gender or in general for both gender. If you don’t change this, choice in clear :slight_smile:
    Another thing is that if the description is too long and on the side appears the scroll bar, the text remains below the bar. Then there is no other option than to use the tags {^n} that must constantly check whether it is good or not, for all rows. But more about is below.

• Graphical part: some graphic elements are accurately rendered in English and will fit nicely into them. But other languages ​​may have a problem. It is thus possible to have a variable size of the graphical interface for:
    – XP: %number (when you complete the quest, window with rewards and experience gained - we don’t have any good abbreviation for XP)
    – Faction window section “Reputation Gained From:” (while translated faction name is long to fit on the line, it continue to next line and last lines can be out of UI - for example Kymon Chosens)

• The aforementioned box describing the Mastery - why not be similar to the description of the factions in the Faction window? Not as graphical but by functionality.

I must remind the two often-cited problems:

• untranslatable tabs Char I - III - will be? May be great as not text, but as graphic.
    -Char I Armor Rating table - this table titles are significantly shorter (middle column) or too high (single words are beneath them) - could you make more better table - wider?

And finally, one more little thing that you have promised to consider my colleague translators, Diary, discused on this link http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14795. After discussion with Rhis, he was promised that Diary might be added before the game or after the release of final game. So, is there any mind of Diary or the diary is forgotten feature? :slight_smile:

Thanks for reply, if there will be applied any of these changes, that we want and need for our players, not only i Czech version, but at least all Slavic nations.

Yes, will try to get these into b31. for you.

Not sure I understand what the choosing of a mastery has to do with how skills get genderized.

These might be somewhat harder to get done, but I will at least take a look to see what we can do.

Replacing graphics is something that’s going to have to be left to the mod system. We’ll probably just remove the “Char” part and leave it as tabs I, II, and III to solve this problem.

I’ll take a look, could you provide a link to a translation zip showing this issue?

Unfortunately it’s just that the idea is so far out of scope right now when it can so easily be replaced by many other methods of taking notes. Just too much other stuff to do to prepare for release.

If anyone else has additional areas of text that they’d like to see given genderization support, please identify them using screenshots.

We’ve had requests in the past to make everything genderizable, but that is simply impossible, and probably not really needed. Even identifying the best places to add genderization support is next to impossible as an English speaker where such rules don’t apply.

I’m definitely willing to look at the most important areas where the translations would benefit though, if they can be identified.

EDIT: As Lumeriol explained to me, czech rules are different.

As an addition, titles of the quests don’t work in two lines

In multiplayer window:

:wink:

Thanks for your respond. I am happy that some of our wishes will be accepted.

And for some things, that are not understand:

• tags_skills.txt: In Czech translation we decided to not genderizate individual skills, but if a player chooses a Mastery, the description could be resolved, whether it is a woman or a man. I don’t know, if this could be written in chosen gender or in general for both gender. If you don’t change this, choice in clear

I thought this screen, where we have tags:

If can be possible to add genderization to this window. If not, or it can be hard, we could replace it with some other structure of text.

Char tab, if there will be only I, II, III, it will be maybe best solve of this problem :slight_smile:

-Char I Armor Rating table - this table titles are significantly shorter (middle column) or too high (single words are beneath them) - could you make more better table - wider?

I thought this table:

I don’t think that it should be by our translation, but there is link is in our forum as attachment:
Czech translation (not current, but with problem)

New Multiplayer character window – could it be a little bit wider?

We have problems with Skill masteries, item level, locality and faction reputation…

One thing, that I saw, when i die on Hardcore, there is tag tagGameOver=You are dead! from tags_ui. It is impossible to genderizate, I suppose.

And last one, I don’t know how do you resolve new tutorial system, but will be there applicated genderization?

And did you see Empowered items or Legendary faction items? These styles are not genderizable. Classic items are without problem :wink:

Thanks for the clarification. That will be fixed in b31.

This will be in b31 too.

Will get back to you about the rest later.

Regarding this one, you can move the quest widget by right clicking on the title.

The tutorial system generally talks about things the player can do rather than the character. Since the gender of the person playing the game is unknown, does it need it?

Don’t know if any other guys are having problems with it but:

-Local Map Legend
-Multiplayer Party Window

are too crowded for me with tags overlapping eachother.

Screenshot it please.

Sure.

Ugh, really don’t know what to do about that. You don’t have some smaller words? :slight_smile: