Components are broken, but what is the solution?

After getting Grimmest working somewhat, I noticed that without autopick, the number of component drops was frustrating, to say the least.

Regardless of what other tools exist with MP-functional autopick, ie GrimInternals, I would honestly rather not have to deal with them at all (on the ground nor in my inventory). I have come up with a solution that does not necessarily please me immensely, but I can live with it.

1. All components have been redone to exist only as completed components.
  2. All components are added to vendor tables and can be purchased.
  3. All components have been completely ripped out of the drop tables.

I present this thread here to get some feedback if possible. Not sure what kind of complaints this might cause or if anybody has a better (and feasible) idea what to do with them. I probably need another hour or so to complete step 3, which is going to bloat the number of records in Grimmest quite a bit, so this is on pause for the moment, awaiting a final motivation session where I can finish it.

Iirc wjhat Zantai said 1) isn’t possible as it’s too entwined with the rest of GD. 3) I dislike as it does give a nice set of options for playstyle having the components. 2) would be very handy though it goes against Crate’s desire to lock items behind grind to get crafting items.

My wish is the same as it has been for ages… A single extra bag where all the components get automatically placed, with each component having its own set location with a greyed out icon if you have none, counter in one corner for the number of completed ones and in another corner 0/3 or 0/4 dependnig on how many partials it takes to complete a single one. This way you have a single square for both partial and complete components…plus you can see at a glance what components you don’t have.

No more combining partials, no more hunting through all the bags to find all the components you have picked up and moving them one by one elsewhere. :smiley:

I would prefer 1) and auto-pickup. If you do 1), I cannot imagine auto-pickup being a lot more work as you should have to change the same locations, just slightly differently.

What mamba said. I’m still a fan of partials being gutted and the droprates of now-fully-completed-components being reduced commensurately for most components (exception being Kilrian’s Shattered Soul, which is rare enough as a partial to remain so as a completed component).

It’s not an impossibility to implement, it’s just an inconvenience/possibly a waste of time, depending on your perspective. But being as this is a mod, all time is a waste of time! :smiley:

Edit: To expand on things a bit, from a design perspective: I feel like removing components from dropping isn’t a good idea. On the one hand, sure, they might create some clutter and need to be shift-clicked into your stash after a long session’s haul. But on the other hand, it feels better to have loot drop to the ground than to solely acquire that loot by hopping between merchants/blacksmiths. It makes the combat of the game feel more economically rewarding and enticing, whereas the removal of such drops might slowly begin to make players wonder why they’re bothering to begin with. See case-in-point, Anthem.

#1 is the best option, but it’s something for a possible GD2 someday.

I agree with these sentiments. I’ve always found it weird that they didn’t move this direction when they redesigned components originally to not have completion bonuses. Also, given how quick the game becomes, I think you’d still receive plenty of drops. I 100% agree about the drops being satisfying. My biggest qualm with both Shattered Realm and Crucible is the lack of drops. It makes no sense to me why it matter so much, but there’s something less satisfying, for me, about seeing nothing for long stretches of time, then being showered with loot from an inanimate chest.

Yup probably why I’m not a huge fan of the modes. SR is at least a little better, though, given that you have Shattered Souls to vacuum up and shrines to interact with. Gameworld interaction is key, imo, to maintaining player immersion!

what about just item filter for those ? would be simple yet not impacting game

not sure what an item filter has to do with this, either you show them and have to pick them up, or you hide them and they do not end up in your inventory either… so this does not address the issue

On the other hand we will get auto-pickup and auto-complete of components in a future version, so that will address it.