Could someone please explain the source of this incoming damage?

Finally was able to capture one of those WTH moments.

Here’s the beast - https://www.grimtools.com/monsterdb/740/skills

Here’s my char - https://www.grimtools.com/calc/r2B1o1DN

Here’s the video - https://youtu.be/8AlkEwkU0S0
the moment in question is right around 30-35 sec mark

All my shields are up. 4500Armor, 3100DA. How on earth could this mob deal so much damage at once?

I too would like an explanation.

Well, the monster has two bonus physical damage passives that add up to another 967-1176 damage, plus a base phys modifier of 74 and a two separate small boosts on those same passives for another 55% on a very small chance. I don’t know what’s already included on the monster stat sheet, but at the very least the passive bonuses can’t be since the blade arc lists a flat number and one of the passives has a range. Unless that’s an average I guess.

At any rate, another 1000 base damage from the passives would about do it, no? ~10k after cunning, minus armor to 5.5 (or 6 or maybe even higher depending on when and how shred works), then 20% off for res to 4.4k. It’s at least in the right ballpark, unless I’m missing something obvious about how those monster stat sheets work.

I’d wonder why it isn’t hitting that hard all the time, since the base attack is 800 presumably before the passives, but I suppose shield blocks and other actives could account for it?

I don’t think it works that way. It’s not as though he’s attacking you with 2 different attacks simultaneously.

Even if it that were possible, each of the 2 attacks should be lessened by armor.

Furthermore, Rotmane’s bladearc also doesn’t have a %WD component so it’s not like the damage stacks :confused:

I’d forgotten about the whole physical flat and armor thing. Hmm. I do wonder about the flat damage needing weapon %. A lot of monsters have passive damage bonuses and not so many have weapon % attacks. What’s the point if they never get to add that damage?

I haven’t been around the forums for super long, do we have a confirmation that monsters follow the exact same rules as players for these calculations?

My guess is that it benefits their auto attacks

For the most part, yes. But of course there are exceptions. Regardless, assuming GT is indeed correct, the mechanics are all there for the player to see.

The only thing grimtools does not go over that has caused confusion in the past is how these attacks are used. Some enemies will use a skill multiple times like on certain shotguns, may not necessarily be the case here, just pointing it out.

If you watch carefully, the blow that takes half your health happens just after Turtle Shell and what i’m assuming is Stone Form runs out. Blast Shield is also on cooldown during this time.

Edit: Just realised that icon isn’t Blast Shield, it’s your Tinker’s Ingenuity proc.

Besides the Physical damage, you’re also taking a chunk of Internal Trauma when you take the hit which is worth considering as it bypasses your armour completely.

@Evil_Baka: Would DoT contribute that much to the chunk in HP? I’ve always thought that it applies as a constant stream of damage over the entire duration.

This of course is based on my personal observation as I watch my HP drain while kiting from enemies.

In other words - it’s sheer speculation on my end.

He has no passive form of damage absorption and only 19% physical resistance, only his passive health regen will be staving it off. I don’t think it’s where the entire chunk (losing about 4100 health in a frame) came from but it’ll certainly have contributed.

Even so, his armor alone should have lessened the blow from the beastie significantly no?

Assuming that the bladearc chunked his armor down from 4k to 2k… (and I doubt the armor shred is that massive)

(5000 - 2000) * (100% - 20% phys res) = 2400 damage.

Which is 50% less than the actual amount taken. :confused:

EDIT: A good way to get to the bottom of this mystery is to fight rotmane again with griminternals running and with char sheet open. Don’t kill him (but don’t die either…freakin’ HC problems :stuck_out_tongue: ) and see how it plays out.

Watch your armor/phys res values

If a normal hero deals so much damage in one hit to a fully geared tank, then this type of attack would pretty much oneshot most builds out there. Most casters have 1700-2000 armor and not much phys res.

Would really wanna know the exact damage breakdown here to be able to adjust the build.

Not true really. Because of %damage absorption, damage reduction, etc.

Most builds have 20% absorption at most.

True…let’s assume 10k hp, 1.5k armor, 15% phys res, 20% absorb, 200 flat absorb.

Let’s assume 1k armor shred too.

(5k - 500) * 0.8 * .85 = 3060

3060 - 200 flat absorb = 2860 damage.

This is roughly what I reckon happened:

• Rotmane’s Blade Arc will have gone to do around 6257 Physical damage as 1117 base Physical damage + 460.22% totalled from 962 Cunning and +74% from passives (possibly more if either of the x% chance of y% Physical damage kicked in), this was lessened by his armour and physical resistance to anywhere in the 1400-2500 area (depending on what area the attack landed on, it may have hit his hands/feet which are individually less armoured for instance).

• The Blade Arc also applied a base 4009 Internal Trauma (722 base with a 455.32% total bonus) that lasts for 2 seconds and in total dealt 3247 damage after physical resistance is taken into account.

If we assume the Physical damage did hit a low armour zone and he took a second of Trauma at roughly the same time (amongst other things maybe), that’s starting to get closer to around 4000 damage in total that he took.

2 Likes

riiiight. low armor zones…

evil_baka? chigaimasu da yo!

evil_genius desu.

EDIT: Lmao…there goes that theory

He has no real low armor zone :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

There’s no guarantee what I said is right, just a hunch on my part is all :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

A really good one, nevertheless.

Only 19% phys res doesn’t help either. People are putting way too much emphasis on armor for physical hits, when physical res helps just as much.

mate. he’s playing a classless spec. 19% is absolutely huge.