Cows unable to graze on fields?

Same issue. 1 of the 10x10 fields of 4 shows red when trying to set grazing area. It’s the 1 closest to the barn. The others are fine. Have also had the checker in that field. Hard to know why this is happening, if it is actually meant to. I wonder if it is related to the known issue “Fencing/ Walling Cows In makes them derp out”, as there is a fence around the 4 fields.

1 Like

Interesting! Unfortunately, I have seen this issue on fields that have no fences. I do tend to border my fields with dirt roads, not sure if that would cause the same problem from the known issues list though?

Is this actually a bug? Or is this by design that sometimes fields work for grazing and other times they don’t (even when the fertility level and crop output of those fields are identical)? If it’s by design, I find it impossible to “read” which systems are interacting in this way to cause the red “grazing denied” behavior on these fields.

Honestly I don’t think you should be allowed to do it. If you are growing wheat or other vegetables… allowing cows to graze on the field would destroy the crops as they would eat them all. The whole point of a farm is to not have anything but the crops. So the fields should either have crops eaten by cows or have nothing for them to eat.

I have my cows graze on the area I’m planning to place my next farm. So that way it’s 90% or so when i start.

Well, not really. Farmers in rl will allow fields to lie fallow for a year or two so they can recover a bit. And ingame cows won’t eat crops, they’ll only eat clover which you plant to help with fertility anyway.

Hello All,

I faced the same issue, but with me is a transit problem.
If you have fences all around the barn, you cannot tranfer interbetwen barns and cows somehow get out but will not go back in.

This stops Milk, Slaughter and even grow.

Yes, it’s a known bug.

1 Like

I have a save file (well, multiple save files) that demonstrates this behavior. In my current save, I have four total fields, all 10x10, all disease-free and using similar~ish crop rotations. Three of these fields allow grazing with no issue whatsoever. One field refuses grazing, although periodically it seems to “try” with the checkerboard pattern (cows are unable to graze there, still, though). Crop yields, planting and harvest behavior from farm workers, deer trying to get around the fence to get the crops… all of these things are working as normal on this field, the only thing unique about it is that cows can’t graze on it.

Uhhhh just as I was typing that last sentence I realized there is something ELSE unique about it: relative to the other three fields, the “broken” field got rotated 90° during its construction. (Where the two storage tiles are is rotated compared to the others — is this caused by which direction you drag out the field during initial layout?)

This isn’t a bug right? You can place the cows after you flatten it. I do already rotate my cows over infertile land and then flatten and plant over it - field rotation over crop rotations are tight!. I don’t like the process of the building manually and reworking myself, but the fact it does function with the fertility map layer is excellent.

Fixing the mechanic to allow for the cows to be allowed over a fallow or clovered field by designating the space another way would be great. But it does work the way it is and I’m thankful for it.

I did have one question, does the compost building not visit barns I’ve watched and followed him and put them next to each other and never seen him go to the barn for compost.

Well then the fact that I can graze cows on 3 of the 4 fields is a bug then? The herd can graze on those three fields at all times, fallow or not, clover or not, whatever is growing, any season that’s not too cold, I could choose to have the cows eating on those fields. But one field doesn’t work. Same crop rotation, everything.

2 Likes

Iinterestingly, I can graze cows on the portions of my fields that I’ve added by expanding them, but not on the initial lot

3 Likes

@romeo Interesting. We should make a video of this.

I’ve never once been allowed to let my cows graze on the fields. I assumed that that was the way it was supposed to be.

Its possible it was considered a bug. As of this update and in my current save, it does appear this is confirmed. My farm went to 0 after being functional for 50+ years. Something has clearly changed.

1 Like

[quote=“Resonance, post:16, topic:116752, full:true”]
I’ve never once been allowed to let my cows graze on the fields. I assumed that that was the way it was supposed to be.
[/quote] Previously you could flatten the terrain and it would work.

I’m having trouble with this too, it can be easily replicated by placing a 10x10 farm and let it finish building then place the graze area on top of the farm, save and reload and it will immediately changed the graze area to red or 0%. This is tested in 0.7.5c and 0.7.5d.

From what I understands, the fertility of the farm goes up every new year very slowly if it have graze on top. The fodder quality goes down every new year slowly and to regenerate the fodder quality you simply need to let it rest without graze and the fodder quality will rise again very quickly back to the default quality and not above.

To add, you can remove the farm with red graze area and wait for a new year and you may graze it again. You can rebuild a farm on top of the same area again and a reload will once again turn it into red without fail.

I can confirm the issue as well however the problem starts usually when continuing a save game.

I can build farms and barn and let the cows graze on my field. Then i save and load the game and suddenly the grazing area my cows used before is red.

This is independent from whether i have cloves or crops or nothing on the field. Before its always green, after reloading savegame its always red or this strange squares.

When i build additional fields i experience the same. First grazing is green. When I save and load its red…

Seems the barn blocks fields as occupied land and doesnt recognising it as scripted land for grazing

1 Like

@medea_fleecestealer Is there a collected/sumamry view of things being tracked/in progress/resolved?

I expect Crate may have such a thing, but it’s not public knowledge.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.