Crash on startup (Solved)

Update: I was using an unofficial SLI tweak. Either that or running the “grim dawn item assistant” tool before launching the game was causing my game to crash on startup.

Sorry, first time using these forums, but i need help since I’ve had this problem for a really really long time (ever since I’ve started playing ~3 years ago).

When I launch the game, it’ll play the intro music then crash/stop responding before i get to the main menu.

If I keep re-launching the game, it’ll crash plenty more in the same way.

But after multiple startups & crashes, the game will eventually boot up normally and the crashing will entirely stop for the rest of the day/time i have my PC powered on.

This “fix” of continually launching the game again and again works, but it’s really annoying. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening and potentially help me fix this?

I’m using Grim Dawn Version 1.1.9.5 (GoG Version) + Grim Internals Mod.

• Win 7 64 bit
  • GPU: Nvidia GTX 9800m Driver 473.62 (+ SLI tweak/working compatibility bits)
  • CPU: Intel(R) Core™ i7-4910MQ CPU @ 2.90GHz
  • 16GB Ram
  • Installed on 1TB SSD

tried the trick with disabling UPnP in options.txt?
Documents\My Games\Grim Dawn\Settings

UPNPenable = false

Hi & thank you for the reply.

yes I tried disabling UPnP in options.txt with no luck.

Does it still do the same thing without Grim Internals?

Does it still do the same thing forcing it to use a single GPU?

If it was me that would be where I first begin my troubleshooting and then go from there.

The game still crashes on startup without Grim Internals.

However, I always used the SLI hack/tweak. So I will disable the SLI edit and force the game to run one GPU. I’ll test & see if the crash on launch still occurs.

Thank you for pointing that out. I never considered that.

So i disabled SLI for Grim Dawn, and the game did NOT crash on startup like it usually does.

I only tested this once, so it could’ve been a fluke. It was rare, but sometimes the game didn’t always crash on launch with SLI enabled.

Regardless, I’ll give a more definitive response later when i have the chance to thoroughly attempt to replicate the startup crash with SLI disabled.

Thanks everyone for your help so far!

1 Like

Alright, so after a week of testing, I can say one of these, or perhaps both, were contributing to my crashing on startup issue.

• using the unofficial SLI tweak
  • launching the game while the “grim dawn item assisstant” tool is running might contribute to the crashes as well. I can’t definitively say.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Even if they didn’t work, I appreciate the input.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.