Crate's Grim Dawn Related RTS Project

So Crate’s RTS name will Grim Armies - War of Empires :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yeah, basically.

I think GD devotion could be recycled into the uptiering/age up function like in Age series where each gods grant unique bonuses. I’m thinking like in age of mythology: “You’ve reach the glory of Mystic Age by the blessing of Rattosh.”

Though I also wonder if it will be more like in SC2, where uptiering mostly construct Factory/Starport/Fusion Core to unlock all technology.

I meant more on the multiplayer side.

For RTS the mp is pretty inaccessible since afaik its too sink or swim heavy for the average gamer. That why i think progressive progression makes alot of sense for MP. Spoon feed at the bottom and still being a rts players wet dream at the top. RTS does have a good following for sure but mp is the weakest aspect of the genre. Who ever can make it more accessible for the plebs by beginner/intermediate ect leagues i think it would sell even better. Cheers.

I am also a fan of AoE 2, although I like BW almost as much - Age of Empires 4 is due out soon. There is no shortage of good RTS, but something has changed in the players. Players want to play 1v1 less and less often - they can simply write that they are afraid :open_mouth:

RTS as in ‘open world’ like WoW and what D4 is trying to be? THAT would be nice, especially if Crate has their own online. No gog. No steam. No 3rd party.

Some snippets of news from the Farthest Frontier dev stream on 24th June 2022.

toomad2309: Can you drop any hints for what the new engine is being used to develop?

The new engine is being used to develop our RTS game.

grumpyGryf: In what language you’re creating new engine?

Medierra: its definitely C++

grumpyGryf: why own engine instead of using unreal?

Well, Unreal is fundamentally not built for ARPG’s or RTS games. So even if we went with Unreal we would still have to make a lot of our own changes to make it work the way we want. And on top Unreal has it’s own fees and costs to use; we’d be paying Unreal pretty much for the rest of the game’s existence for using that engine. So since we’re going to have to do our own thing and we like doing things our own way we decided to make our own.

Medierra: commercial engines all sort of evolved with certain game types in mind - they can be modified to do almost anything but the further you get from their native capability, the more work is involved

3 Likes

Lovely thread, and thanks to medierra for a lot of insight and for sharing his views on other RTSs.
I have two questions for medierra:

1. If you have played Tiberium Wars MP, what do you think of its experience? Any features that inspire you?
  2. How do you plan to implement the resource-gathering system into your project?

Thanks for the responses already.

It will be an RTS in the GD universe, right? So what factions will be available to us? I hope we can play as Aethereals and Chthonians and learn more about them?

It will be set in a pre-GD era - no idea how far before that event it will be. Medierra did say there might be some Aetherial stuff, but no Chthonic.

It predates the Grim Dawn, so Aetherials are not going to be a faction.

2 Likes

Niiice! May I take this opportunity to ask how is the game going? Any eta on some reveal pictures or the like?

I’m afraid it’s not anywhere near close to anything we could show yet.

We have only recently ramped up artists on the project to test the art pipeline on the new engine.

3 Likes

Ah ok. Thanks for the response though, appreciate it!

I had no idea crate are working on an rts game. Rts has always been my favourite genre but sadly it’s so rare to find a good one. I’m still playing battle for middle earth 2 after all these years so I can’t wait for this :smiley: I’m sure it will be great.

2 Likes

That’s awesome. I personally prefer the first one though. Honestly despite its age those games are pretty well thought out imo.

1 Like

I sadly never played the first one but I have heard it’s as good, just different.

And yeah even after all this time it’s still my go to rts. So well balanced and lots of choice to keep it fun ^^

1 Like

I wonder since the blood cult has always been a thorn in the empire’s (and the covens’) side, it would make sense for it to be playable.

For game name I’m proposing Grim Evening or Grim Midnight, since those tend to come before Grim Dawn.

And do we have a concrete idea as to what type of RTS it’s going to be? As in, classic base-building + resource collection a la Warcraft, or objective-/points-focused like Company of Heroes?

What we know of it is in this thread. So no, no info like that atm.