Death Knight retaliation build

This is the first build I’ve tried to complete. All inspiration and credit goes to Squib and his build http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36239.

I like the idea of the retaliation build but don’t really like the playstyle the Warder version provides. I wanted to see if the Death Knight could do a retaliation build.

I welcome all feedback to improve the build. I mostly just winged it with the skills in Necromancer, used the devotions Squib’s build does since they provide extra retaliation.

Edit: http://www.grimtools.com/calc/RZR99mKV think this will be the final update to the build barring major patch changes. Dropped 78 points from Physique and put them into Spirit. Reduced Ravenous Earth to a 1 point wonder to proc Shield Wall. Used the left over points and replaced Squad Tactics with Counter Strike and got War Cry and Break Morale passive.

If anybody feels I plagarized Squib’s build and am trying to pass it off as my own, I’ll delete the thread and try another build.

Edit: Dropping from 93 to 15 points into Physique and replacing Squad Tactics with Counter Strike, managed to drop Defensive Ability from 2994 down to 2440. Overall the build is pretty defensive, the only time my HP spiked a lot was against Shar’Zul and just ended up kiting a bit when my HP got too low. Hittest retaliation damage so far was 324,111 damage and highest hit tken was under 4600 from Shar’Zul.

Interesting. I was thinking of an Azragor/Skele retaliator with Spectral Wrath but I hadn’t considered pure retaliation. Let us know how it rolls after xpac.

going for 60% aether res on a aether based xpack seems abit risky, atleast for HC

It’s not complete yet. I might need change a few pieces of gear cause I don’t think i’ll be able to max out Aether and Chaos resists as is. Why my post is asking for advice and feedback. As it stands right now, the max possible retaliation is 271K damage (I’m sure Warder could push 300K).

but you havent added any components / aguments, so you might be able to get more than a warder by adding that as well

Considering new mobs (85+), I think that you should improve your retaliation and reflect.

Pure retaliation does not work well.

Is my opnion based in 2 chars that I made (pure retaliation & retaliation-reflect)

Reflect need to be higher than 130% to see the results.

Why I’m asking for advice since with current gear I’m pretty sure I can’t max Aether and Chaos resists.

Not sure what you’re seeing when you go to the link. Using a calculator the max possible retaliate damage is 270K and the damage reflect is at 243%

Sorry, I didnt actived the buffs…

Why not pure Soldier?

Instead Necro, you could add War Cry and Blitz.

I already have a pure solo Soldier sitting at lvl59 awaiting the expansion launch tomorrow.

A pure Soldier retaliation build looks like it would be possible but you’d be almost 6K HP lower then the Death Knight. Like I stated in the OP, this is the first build I’ve actually tried to complete. I’m sure I’ll need to redo the skills come tomorrow afternoon.

Unless I’m doing something wrong, both Warder and Death Knight versions come under 23K HP though Warder has max retaliation of 305,015 whereas the Death Knight has a max of 284,230 damage.

I will be testing this build at least in Crucible as soon I can talk to the Master to start it. If anybody else wants to test this build themselves go right ahead.

That’s a damn cool concept. Wonder if it would work well though.

Since the Master in Crucible won’t talk to me when I click on him, making my way through Bastion of Chaos. It’s actually kinda slow going cause I actually have TOO MUCH defensive ability.

Regarding this, does it also mean that going for aether damage is bad since aether monsters have more aether res?

Need a bit of advice on how to alter the build a bit. The concept does seem to work but I need to drop between 200 and 300 DA and need to maybe exchange some retaliation damage for some Vitality or Aether damage for Soul Siphon.

Possibly last update to the build til there’s a significant patch. Dropped 78 points from Physique and put them into Spirit. Lost about 3K HP but DA dropped from 2994 to a more manageable 2556. The build is still slow but the only time I was in danger of dying was fighting Shar’Zul when I kited a bit to regen HP. Still cleared all of Bastion of Chaos without a single potion.

After a few runs through Ultimate Bastion of Chaos, I think this build is a success. Didn’t use a single potion in any of the runs and the highest damage taken was 4528 from Shar’Zul. Highest retaliation hit was 324K damage.

With Overguard up the build has 99% Block Recovery and with the addition of Shield Wall devotion, can block 10.5K per block.