Devotion proc mechanics question - reap spirit and necro skills

When a devotion is linked to reap spirit, does the cast of the spell proc the devotion or does the pet itself proc the devotion?

If it depends on what devotion is chosen, I was wondering about the following devotions in paticular. Hungering void, twin fangs, will of ratosh, elemental storm, arcane bomb

What necromancer skills in general proc devotions most often? I’d assume ravenous earth, skeletons / reap spirit? I heard Ill Omen is good as well. Can someone explain why ? Does each damage over time tick have a chance to proc?

It casts devotions when you use the active skill, not the pet.

Ravenous earth is one of the best devotion proccers in the game. Drain essence is good too, if you are playing it. Ill omen works like bloody pox so yes, every time the skill ticks, it has a chance to proc a devotion, also it spreads from enemy to enemy.

true DoTs(damage over time) can’t trigger procs
pseudo dots can trigger procs (flat dmg triggered on interval, think inquisitor seal or Sigil of Consumption)
^and skills that apply “initial DoT” over and over, like pox and such will reapply the true DoT “start” at each interval it ticks

ravenous earth is a great proccer overall, should be noted, at least in my personal experience and testing, it “sucks” when paired to 1sec CD devotion skills like Maul or Blind fury, where it’s unable to keep 100% uptime because the application intervals doesn’t match up with the devotion CD so it will only trigger each 2nd application, “wasting” you a potential proc (usually no biggie but kinda blows a little both for fun factor and “efficiency” application)

ill omen is another great proccer, but if not invested in it doesn’t have much duration, which can makes things kinda wonky when/if low pointed.
(and like retal abuser mentioned it spreads plague style, so it’s even better on group fights, but on single target fight the lack of duration if not invested in can be “annoying”)

also note, when devotion skills are attached to pets, ex Skeletons, it will effectively become “their skill”, meaning they not only trigger it to proc, ie more skeletons = bigger proc chance, but also means the pet gains the effect/bonus buff of a devotion, not you, and it will use pet stats as dmg/boost factor, not your stats

Sounds weird but, as you seem to be doing personally, you should always test all devo procs while finishing the build to be sure it’s optimal. I had some weird inconsistencies too when supposedly a better proccer was performing worse for a specific skill due to some frequency / recharge mismatch.

Omen is great at groups but when fighting single boss it sucks.
Good luck procing stuff at a 1 chance/s then :slight_smile: For example waiting a few seconds if you’re unlucky for Elemental Storm to proc on a boss for that important debuff is painful so I have mixed feelings about this skill - depends on the content you’re facing / priorities.

3 Likes

aye, tho i think Elemental Storm is a poor example, since it’s a long duration “low” cooldown devotion, so it has a decent duration buffer where you can get those procs in for constant uptime if not also even overlapping
but aye, on solo target like CoF, pox etc it kinda sucks, but my mention is more that it sucks “more” than those other 1sec interval proccers, because without investment you don’t even get half decent duration to match and “try” make up for some of the downside

1 Like

thanks for all the replies everyone, they answered my initial question pretty well.

Does anyone have any experience using ravenous earth on a single target boss fight? I assume it would be better than ill omen on a single target fight? I did some testing with 2 target dummies and they both seemed to give about 2 procs of twin fangs per cast on average (lvl 12 ill omen versus level 3 ravenous earth). I’m thinking with higher level RE it would be better than ill omen on single target fights.

Some follow up questions about mechanics … When Ill Omen spreads, does the debuff which spread have a full timer or does it have same timer as the initial cast? For example lets say initial cast lasts 5 seconds and spreads 4 times at once per second. Does the 4th spread in the chain last the full 5 second duration or does it only last 1 second since it took 4 second for the original cast to spread. Based on personal observation in packed fights in SR, it seems like each spread last full duration but i was hoping someone could confirm.

I read that ravenous earth can hit the same target multiple times. If a boss is standing in the center of the spell, will all shards hit him every time? Or does it randomly apply a certain number of shards to each mob in the vicinity regardless of visual effect?