Diablo 1 Mod - Creating the Butcher

The Butcher

Easily one of the most TERRIFYING childhood memories I have. Opening that door for the first time, being horrified by his voice only to have him charge at me unrelenting, with a flurry of blows to hew my brave warrior in half.

I am calling on my fellow gamers, if ANYONE reading this has a good handle on creating game models I am looking for someone to work on a model of this nightmare for the Diablo 1 Mod. I can use in game models but it just wouldn’t be the same. I know this is a large task and I am more than willing to work with whomever on an agreeable payment.

This may fall on deaf ears but I wanted to put it out there for anyone to possibly hear.

Thanks guys!

Attachment: Butcher Example.jpg

I hope someone takes this up, I’d love to see this. I’m really looking forward to the Diablo 1 mod and to have the iconic characters in it would be awesome.

Creating models is IMPOSSIBLE, because Crate never posted skeletons of monsters (only of 2 player models). Your only way: retexturing the already existing model.

And no, currently there is no proper .msh unpacker that can extract a skeleton along with the model.

Re-texture? Boooooo lol. And thats man I am excited to get it done. It’s a lot of work but I am working my ass off to get it done haha

Take Butchers texture from Diablo 3 or Heroes of the Storm and apply it to the one below. Its ok I guess :stuck_out_tongue:

If they have a msh packer, can’t you construct a skeleton yourself, provided that you know the names of the bones they use?
just searching for bone_ on cheat engine alone gives a bunch of results, wouldn’t surprise if someone figured out all the bone names the game uses and use that to rig a model if they can import it.

maybe the skeleton is the same as TQ and copying over a model alone would work? :stuck_out_tongue:

Very likely, but not guaranteed :smiley:

so its not impossible :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t know much about modeling (next to nothing besides how to make the simple things in autocad), but in the model viewer provided, TQ models can be shown and animated if you hex edit them to match the GD models, but there are no animations that will work from TQ on GD models (and vice versa afaik) I tried with quite a few and you’d think something simple like the player character would work but no. Hell, the pc can’t even use skeleton animations (and vice versa, again)

you seriously had to wrap that in spoiler tags ?

If you’re trying to create an exact replica of Diablo 1 then sure making a new model, animations, skeleton, textures, etc… then go for it though it will take a ton more time to do so.

Otherwise it would be far easier to use pre-existing GD models and either changing the texture/size of the model or perhaps grabbing something from Titan Quest since apparently that is possible (such as using the Minotaur or one of those larger satyr enemies?) and perhaps re-texturing those if that would work.

You can use the troglodites mesh from Titan Quest… is perfect.

Polyphemus (or any cyclops, but why not use a boss one for the Butcher :wink: ) would also work nicely

Could use a troll/mistborn model, give it Maw of Despair helm and Butcher of Burrwitch axe and scale it up.

There is a troll hero that is all bloody looking and if you can figure out how to give him both helm/weapon (since they may not be designed for a troll’s use due to size/positioning) it could look rather imposing imo.

Technically speaking, I believe the Butcher of Burrwitch should work on a troll; in earlier builds before 2H weapons were a thing the trolls used to drop Bonesmashers and Bonecrushers as 1H clubs, yet they still wielded them as 2H weapons at a scaled-up size - theoretically would it not be the same for Butcher of Burrwitch despite it being a 1H axe? :wink:

I’m not sure about human helmets working on trolls though - personally I don’t think a troll would need Maw of Despair anyway. The first image in the OP, minus the demon horns ofc, is troll-esque enough to pass imo.

See I know nothing about retexturing so I would have to try and figure that out and I feel like it would turn out awful

Yea weapons are easy to change but the helmet since it’s oriented in 3d space at the height/size of a human it’s most likely not possible to give a troll Maw of Despair (which I would think with the horns would complete the look).

Example - though you can get rid of some of the armor that he has equipped.