Difficulty of Last Two FG Bosses

You are mixing up Korvaak with Kymon. Kymon is the one with the fire pillars. I admit that I struggled fighting Kymon the first couple of times, but once you learn the pattern of his pillars (outer ring, inner ring, left side, right side, random, repeat) is a very manageable fight. And Korvy only has two attacks with really nasty damage: the purple meteor shower he uses in phase 1 and the orange meteor shower from phase 3. Both can be lethal but are very easy to telegraph. The purple meteors are quite slow and you can tell when Korvy will use the orange ones because he starts levitating for a second time in his rotation. Those are faster than the purple ones but just by constantly moving you can easily dodge them. Rince and repeat until the three gods give him a ticket to deadgodland.

If you are so unwilling to take criticism from other players then just pm your feedback to the devs. Until then Iā€™ll keep wasting my time and energy however I want. Actually, Zantai, one of the main devs, already gave you his opinion about those two bosses. So, thatā€™s it.

1 Like

You literally made a build that is not supported by the game and you are surprised it sucks?

Hereā€™s the thing with customization in this game: every possible build in this game is made up by the devs. You canā€™t go outside of the box because the game doesnā€™t allow it to. Now you might say this is a bad thing but let me remind you i have well over 60 different builds that can do endgame content like rogue dungeons, nemeses, deep SR and so on. Without dying once i might add.

Before you say that Soldier builds are the majority iā€™ll say this: hardly a fifth of those 60 builds have Soldier. And yes, Soldier has a bunch of defensive stuff because itā€™s the defensive mastery. Doesnā€™t mean itā€™s ā€œstackedā€ or even OP when i have non-Soldier builds performing better than a lot of Soldier based builds. And there are so many more powerful builds that i havenā€™t used that have been posted in this forum.

2 Likes

I think i know what you mean but i find your statement quite confusing so i may add a clarification : iā€™m not sure (and i donā€™t think so) every build in the game has been planified by the devs (especially the non-set ones but even some sets has been used in a successful way that had most likely not been predicted by the devs).
that said some potential builds clearly arenā€™t supported, and will suck no matter how many theorycrafting you sink in. i think thatā€™s what you meant but correct me if iā€™m wrong.

No, everything in the game is made up by the devs. Thereā€™s not a single working build that devs havenā€™t thought of because they are the ones that make the items, add the numbers and do literally everything.

The only thing the devs donā€™t know is how well it will perform.

I admit iā€™m doubtful about that given the abysmal number of builds and how out of the box some of them are but you probably know better than me so iā€™ll leave it here :wink:

There are a few things i noticed with grim dawn difficulty - bosses get progressively stronger the longer you face them. Most of their dangerous abilities such as Gravathulā€™sm ball Korvaakā€™s combo Kaimonā€™s fire pillar and Lokaarā€™s mechanics are all stuck behind a timer ( you can see it from grim tools even) so if your character is abit weaker or yet to have enough RR for the right boss chances are you are having a very different experience than someone who can skip all the mechanics with DPS.

And grim dawn is a wonderful game with many different playstyles, but it also means peopleā€™s experience is going to be vastly different. Melee without a good defense is going to get obliterated by stacking debuffs/stacking damage/other mechanics compared to conjurer that can kite forever. Some encounters are distinctly harder than others for certain playstyle (log is harder for pets for example as his doombolt one shots them and he eats them).

Which is why i think we see threads like this every now and then. If you cant dps things down on a boss you are weak against you will have a hard time.

But honestly outside of tweaks on build there are tons of consumables buffs in game. Stuff like OA buffs HP buffs elemental res etc. OP should consume as much as he can on a difficult boss to tip the scale.

2 Likes

And this is why nerfs exist, as buffs to everyone else.

Before we had Crucible as a metric, the nerf meter was ā€œCan you skip MQ/Gutworm enrage or Fabius Blade Barrier?ā€

More recent design has put most enrages at healthgates rather than timers, however with sufficient DPS if the healthgate is too low then the enrage wonā€™t last long enough to matter and if itā€™s too high lower DPS will struggle too much - see pre-RATA Retal vs Valbury bosses.

1 Like

With sufficient DPS it doesnā€™t matter. If I can down MQ/Kymon in under 4 sec, their enrage abilities wonā€™t do much harm. And this is still the case today, nerfs or not.

What i dont quite understand is why some abilities are time delayed when they already have a CD to begin with. Really encourages dps skip mechanic though.

Bosses should imo fire their most dangerous mechanics asap both as a check to playerā€™s reaction and to teach them about dodging/dealing with them. It is also fair to most builds.

Madqueen and Alek for example are better bosses because they use their strongest abilities straight away. But stuff like Korvaak you can skip his mechanics with enough dps all day, even if said mechanics is dangerous to your build.

Thatā€™s true.

I actually never saw Korvaak unfold his full attack power until I met him in higher SR. The fight takes much longer there so he has the time to actually use his really dangerous abilities.

But in the campaign boss fight, most of my builds can out-DPS him so easily that he never has a chance to cast his strongest spells. And the one spell that he always manages to pull off (ring of fireballs homing in on his position) looks nice but is not dangerous at all.

Outside of SR, only my weaker builds have ever seen him cast meteors or spawn pets. No matter which phase, his strongest skills have an initial delay of 8 or even 12 seconds, thatā€™s too long. I think 5 to 8 seconds or even less would be more appropriate for a final boss.

many of the game bosses become dangerous simply by getting more HP so they can unleash all of their abilities. Krieg is another one.

Not really. Hold on, one secā€¦

There. AFK Warden HC using a classless char:

1 Like

Kreig is one of the best designed first bosses Iā€™ve seen. He is dangerous ONLY if you fail to understand his mechanics. Learning those mechanics is a fun part of this game.

@Ceno iā€™ve played POE for quite a while, not so much the past year and only clocked about 200 hours in Grim Dawn, so far. Kitava, for me, was much easier than te last phase of Korvaak. Maybe because Kitava had somewhat predictable mechanics, whilst Korvaak, in the last phase, was all over the map.

2 Likes