Direni / Bourbon Problem

This may relate to a bug posted in November about Direni not appearing in Cronley’s hideout:

In an effort to save all quest choices until as late as possible, after reading the note in Burrwitch Outskirts, I never talked to Direni until I had to make the Barrowholm choice in AoM. At this point I returned and made all previous choices, including killing Direni.

Problem is, to end the quest, I need to talk to Bourbon, who is now standing in his new location, and would only discuss breaking the aether barrier and proceeding, then talk about the Coven after I retrieved the effigy, and now after finishing AoM - he only congratulates me.

Is there any way to complete this quest? I have not done FG yet on this character - but I can’t imagine that is going to impact Bourbon’s conversation options. Any suggestions (other than blah erasing my quests progress back to my backup at Homestead [wasn’t sure skipping KC/DV would not cause problems])?

I checked the Hideout - he was not there the first time, and is not there after AoM … he’s dead … (nor was the door locked as posted in the Bug Reporting thread).

1.1.8.1 (Veteran)

Danke.

did something change with Direni ?
didn’t he used to be like ulgrim, that if you don’t interact with him before a given time he automatically moves?
i could swear i’ve had direni go to cronley hideout because i forgot to kill him before reaching Cronley - just like ulgrim will move from burwich outskirts/DC jail once you go past a certain point in Act 2

This is my experience as well. He even has unique dialogue where he comes out as the perpetrator for the water in Devil’s Crossing. I always thought that repairing the bridge to Arkovia and rifting away is what prompted him to move if he never dies but perhaps I’m wrong.

1 Like

The difference between what you have and the bug report is the other one never even picked up the quest; they skipped it entirely.

Still did you try verifying the game files?

1 Like

i gotta test this 2ways now
because i’m certain i’ve skipped out on Direni “by accident” going too deep in act 2 :thinking:, just like ulgrim triggers to move in act 2 too

alrighty something has definitely changed, can confirm Direni doesn’t move if you have the quest
but also Ulgrim doesn’t move anymore, until you talk to him at homestead (ported back forth Gulch-DC and he was in both places at once) and i know for sure i’ve seen him move by the time i reached deadman’s gulch before and “failed” the quest) - Reddan is the only one that actually moves, tho i also didn’t bother checking him after cronley until inside homestead again, so no idea if his trigger was also only when clearing homestead rift :thinking:

Verified files through GOG Galaxy - found no errors. I will try to reproduce (after making a backup) the issue in Elite on this character.

Interesting about Ulgrim - I will have to see if The Ironclad Chef is still failable if you skip / do not complete that before Deadman’s Gulch. I did not hold off on that quest as there is no alternate ending (other than failure).

1 Like

you can’t fail it “anymore”(starting to get unsure if i actually did or it was all a dream), since the quest will just “shift” to Edwin the “cook” now - it’s just also weird, because i know i’ve seen ulgrim move from DC before homestead/didn’t see him in DC+Gulch at the same time @_@
Direni i can totally see “bug” out if he no longer moves and quest not “fails” (if he ever did) - i’m a little ways off to be able to confirm the AoM/Bourbon interaction mixup happening,
but i would not be surprised if it’s possible considering direni stays/quests doesn’t seem to be failable “anymore”
(again i’m assuming they were once because i feel like i distinctly remembering failing a “couple”/these quests before)

I agree with you - several quests including Ironclad Chef and A Timely Arrival have notes in my Excel tracker indicating a miss/fail quest (so does A Cultist in the Midst). That tracker is from 2017ish, however. I think something has changed.

Got sidetracked with SR (level 99.6 in Veteran…) but I will see what happens post FG, and if it provides a resolution for Bourbon. Be interested to see what you experience in AoM when you get there, if you have the same experience I did.

1 Like

i’m not that far from unlocking AoM/bourbon move, tho i’m on a “break” atm, but i’ll for sure make it later tonight tho, and will post if the same happens to me

Ok, on to elite with this toon. Unless I am missing something, Bourbon’s dialogue (and the conclusion to A Cultist in the Midst) is permanently missable if you (i) kill Direni; and (ii) do it after completing Act IV.

Caveat: still possible there is something wrong with my game, rather than it being a systemic issue.

My OCD is mitigated by at least having a history of WHY I have one quest in veteran that is incomplete. No, wait… :scream:

i don’t think anything is wrong with your game, i tested a couple of times, (just got sidetracked so forgot to “report in” sooner)
and no matter what, the second AoM is activated via creed, the hand-in to bourbon for the quest is impossible
doesn’t matter if you kill him before activation or after, the second bourbon appears at Fort Ikon, or again back in DC at the colossus, i couldn’t hand in the quest
0 issues up and until the point of starting AoM at creed - and you can’t hand it in to bourbon at Fort Ikon either
^and i did multiple tries, “saving” my game before killing logh and then trying to do the direni quest before and after

Good to know - and thank you!

It matches my expectation - most likely the Bourbon from AoM is an entirely different actor - the original is removed and replaced with a new script. No one was ever supposed to be crazy enough to hold on to that quest.

The fact that Direni is not moving during Act II, however, could be a bug. I would have thought he had a trigger (e.g., wiki indicates finding Elsa (*) triggers Ulgrim to move to Deadman’s Gulch), but he is no longer moving to Cronley’s hideout if you do not complete the quest.

He does correctly move if you spare him and complete the quest.

(*) :: I will have to try that in my next run. Got distracted - just bought (finally) Crucible and did 170… in veteran… as aspirant… at level 100, heh. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

ye it’s curious why both ulgrim and direni trigger to move is changed and doesn’t just either fail the quest or shift it “earlier”(in case with ulgrim) :thinking:
it’s probably just an oversight like you mentioned, devs just not expecting people to be this crazy with their questing :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
we will see if they do anything, but suppose it means this could indeed be moved to “bug” ticket now until then? :man_shrugging:

Mmm, no, the devs did not account for someone hanging on to that quest that long, though we did consider someone hanging on to the quests from Harmond all that time…

You can fix it in MP, if you really want to clear your log.

1 Like

Thank you for replying Zantai.

I did some testing last night and noted that, as you said, both Something for Nothing OR Flesh and Iron can be turned in to the black legion soldier near Bourbon / Rift Gate (though they will not offer Flesh and Iron if you turn in the first quest). The Spirit Guide also does not seem to shift, of course if you make it that far in the game, I doubt you need it when getting to Coven’s Refuge.

I appreciated that the Coven quest, from before there was a Coven, carried over and was still available in AoM if you missed it. Though it looks like (reasonably) only specific actors in Ikon and Devil’s Crossing were replaced (e.g. Captain Somer eternally pines the loss of Ulgrim).

Thank you again.