Doubt about some devitions node buffs

Example:

Magi has a node that says: (in my toon)

486 burn damage over 3 seconds.
+50% burn damage with +30% increased duration

What does that apply to?, only to the Magi proc?, or to your toon?, does it apply on attack?.

Basic doubts :slight_smile:

It’s a global damage bonus:

• Flat burn applies to all attacks in with a %WD. The greater the %WD, the greater the amplification. e.g. 22/12 cadence (500% WD) will apply 5x the listed DoT value. Flat DoTs from devotions/items will not stack with multiple %WD attacks. In other words, only the attack with the highest %WD will apply the DOT.

• %bonus: benefits everything

Wow that’s a bit not intuitive :P.

Yeah I know the info is out there, but that doesn’t mean the mechanic is intuitive.

Not everything is going to be intuitive. It’s a deep game with a lot of moving parts.

Intuitive or not it’s dead simple to remember.

• Flat damage numbers apply to weapon damage attacks.
  • +% damage numbers apply globally.

That’s all you need to know.

1 Like

Might just be overly complicated game design, maybe partially due to the use of an engine that was somewhat old and created for another game. :wink:
I´m at 6000 hours+, and there are mechanics in the game that I still don´t quite get.

Then again, if you goal isn´t to beat SR 70+ or Crucible in less that 6 minutes, a basic understanding of the game mechnics is quite sufficent, imo.

No shame there, I’m at double that and I don’t pretend to know all of them either (hell, there’s been stuff I’ve learned and completely forgotten I ever learned 'em and I’ve ended up relearning crap more than once).

Then again, I really just don’t care. The nice thing is that if there is something I need to know, I know exactly where to look to find out - and if I can’t find it readily I can just ask and someone around here can enlighten me. :grava_yes:

1 Like

The most unintuitive thing about GD is the best guide to it is this forum, you read it and you ask questions and it’s the fastest way to learn the rules. The mechanics of the game, for the most part, make perfect sense once you learn them, it’s just the way you learn them… The game doesnt feed you with knowledge, you have to take control of your learning process, old school style

That’s a good attitude to have, kudos there.

However, from a player’s perspective, if I need to dig into a wiki to understand how a mechanic works, there is a flaw there in the design.

Which is why I wish Crate would just bake the (full) Game Guide right directly into the game itself :wink:

Diablo’s and the rogue-likes they derive from are often complicated games intrinsically. It’s just the nature of the beast and frankly has little to do with “design flaw”, imo. Hell, rpg’s in general are complicated affairs and often contain a variety of new complex systems they foist upon you to learn. There’s no 2 ways about it.

I have easy way to recognize damage bonus.

If you see devotion/gear flat direct damage or flat DoT is gonna boost my skills with Weapon Damage. If I play with melee, ranged or skill like Forcewave, I need it. If I play caster without WD, useless. If my character is caster with minimal WD , flat damage isn’t worth pursuing, unless it’s in your way.

Percentage damage is what I want in every build. Especially casters without it can have hard times dishing damage.

Magi is nice constellation for fire/burn builds!