[DW melee] Beginner's Virulent Dervish

Oh, so that’s the reason couldn’t figure out how to DW!
Well, I suppouse a good 2-Hander beats +4 to SS, wouldn’t want to go back farming bugs at level 27.
Oh, getting past the docks onto the oasis was !FUN!
Also the Temple of Osyr was a big, one-sided R-train.
I really need to adjust my facetanking to this new Veteran where one can die to the very first mob, oh joy.

Had some issues with trying to keep me toon alive 'spite havin most res 50+ by 30, possibly adding some life leech before Eye of the Guardian might help 'spite losin some damage?

But Eye of the Guardian is added for it’s lifeleech, not extra damage.

If you give me a GT link of your character I might be able to give some pointers on why you’re dying. Levels 30+ is when it should become progressively easier unless you’re doing something wrong.

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/0V0b5WXN

Sumthink like Hollow Fang etc to weapon instead of acid/poison-buff?
The issue so far feels like too little armour, one hit from a named troll and health hits critical.
I know it´s a glass cannon…

Why do you have Eye of the Guardian on Shadow Strike? It should be on Righteous Fervor.

The only gear piece I’d call inadequate is your chest armor, it should be more or less the same armor rating as your pants. Aside from that your defenses look ok to me, surprised you have issues surviving.

I’d recommend removing 5 points from Nidalla’s Justifiable Ends and putting them into Pneumatic Burst. You don’t need extra adcth to survive vs boss bursts, you need a timed instant heal to bring your health back to safe levels. The rest is just how you play.

I was following the guide, but it looks like the devotions have changed compared to the guide, as well as some other things. Perhaps one of these days, it would be nice to update it as they are still used.

More like the guide was released long ago, then I updated the level 100 version of it since people complained it’s too frail, then I decided to re-level a Dervish since levelling experience one year ago and now is two different things (more difficult now), and changed some things compared to my level 100 setup during levelling. Both my level 1-75 setups and “official” setup are ok to use. The “official” is bit more optimized for damage and level 1-75 is for extra safety on HC, since that’s what I play. Literally the only outdated thing is level 84 and 90 snapshots, but I don’t think it’s that much of a big deal to make it a priority task to adjust it.

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/YNnXgKGV

Hi this is my current set up at the moment, this is my 3rd character and this is the furthest I’ve gotten. I’ve been having a blast and thanks for your wonderful build really helped hold my hand throughout the way. I have 2 lvl 70 stings in my inventory that I’m waiting to put in. I’m just wondering if I should keep the vitriolic gallstones or go for the cactus thing on my weapons because the double buffs from the gallstones seem too good to give up. I followed your 1-75 devotion set up completely but I’m wondering if that’s been updated. Any tips on what I can change or gear I should be going for at this moment? I’m honored in all 3 FG cults and repescted/honored with most of the basegame-Aom factions.

Gallstones and Cactus things stack. One is component and the other is an augment.
Same goes for your jewelry, you seem to be under assumption that it’s either components or augments, but it’s not the case.

Literally the post above yours.

A bit puzzling why you decided to use these shoulders instead of Wendigo Vile like my build suggests, but otherwise looks fine for this level. Only extra thing you can consider buying is acid Harvest Seals from Homestead. They are low level, but they are pretty good, I’d replace at least the Astral Rumination ring.

You’re also not using neither components nor mobility runes in your medal, which is something to fix. Especially mobility rune, being able to escape out of combat improves your chances to survive.

I think I had those shoulders to reach max aether resist. As for arguments and components I didn’t know they were 2 separate things and I’ll make sure to put them on my medal as well. I’ll leave my devotions the way they are, they follow your devotion point distribution guide.

Aether soul in medal and/or ring augment from devils crossing https://www.grimtools.com/db/items/365 (your amulet and right ring lacks augments)

I’ve been following this guide for my first char after a save reset, and after finishing ultimate I’ve reached this point. I don’t have much gear to swap around, only razor and jacket from the mythical venomblade set, mythical final march, mythical stonetreaders and mythical viperfang grips.

GT: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/DV9LAkL2

So with the gear at my disposal + some crafted items that I might have, can you recommend me any gear/component/augment/skill point/atribute/devo swap to make my life in SR/cruci/nemesis farming easier? I think I might have low armor and DA, but don’t know for sure.

Thank you in advance.

You’re still using two Scaled Hides in chest and legs, while you should use 1 Scaled Hide in legs and 1 Living Armor or Sacred Plating in shoulders (depending on what fits better for your cap resistance minigame). I prefer to use Ancient Armor for chest here, but either a second Living Armor / Sacred Plating or even Sanctified Bone are an options too.

Bloodied Crystals are used instead of Runebound Topaz for a reason - it’s an overall superior component, especially for this Dervish that has Consecration to get even more armor out of bloodied crystals.

Vitriolic Gallstones are fine for a time being.

Outcast’s Venom is completely outclassed by Dreeg’s Spinedust if you want offense. My build uses Ravager’s Eye though, which makes the build more tanky.

Putting 2 into Dual Blades is an easy way to squeeze 2% more physical resistance.

General impression on your setup is it’s all offense - offensive devotions (yes, it’s a copy of mine, but I went so offensive on devotions because I min-maxed some defense elsewhere), offensive skill distribution (you can take points from Merciless Repertoire and bump Veil of Shadow and Circle of Slaughter for example) and augments (Ravager’s Eye, there are also generic DA augments like Arcane Dust that you could use in place of some of your Sylvarria’s Essences). Your GT link has +2800% acid damage, which is something many endgame builds would be jealous of. But your defensive capabilities didn’t catch up yet - 2600 DA and 1800 Armor is barely fine for dungeons on Ultimate in my book. It’s possible to beef up your character a bit, but it’ll cost you damage everytime you do that. When I’ve been building my Dervish I made a choice to reduce my damage in favour of more safety / consistency.

As for whether you can farm SR or Cruci in give or take the same gear…honestly, no idea. We have a budget blademaster build here on the forum which somehow climbed SR60 with crap gear, and we have a budget infiltrator build that somehow completes 170 in a reasonable time. But the author of both of them is an extremely skilled player. Perhaps he’d be able to do the same with budget Dervish with adjustments, but it doesn’t mean you or I could do the same.

First of all, thanks for the in depth reply. I’m gonna farm some ugdenblooms and swap my augs/components to your more defensive setup, with scaled hide on legs, ancient armor on chest and living armor on shoulders.

I’ve already put 2 points into dual blades for the phys res, but I’m not sure about how many points to remove from merciless or how to split them between veil of shadow and circle of slaughter.

By the way, do you think 2x seal of blades/might would be needed for the %armor/phys res or would I be fine with the other defensive oriented changes and just keep the gallstones? My last question would be about my low stun res, is there an easy way to up it a bit that I’m missing?

Thanks again.

EDIT: After a lucky drop and reaching lvl 20 in SR I’ve upgraded my defenses: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/62aMOmX2

Where should I spend the last 4 skill points? My current options are overcap Merciles Repertoire, Presence of Virtue for more OA or Circle of Slaghter for a little more fumble chance, but the last one doesn’t seem very effective.

For Circle of Slaughter you either stop at 4\12 or 8\12 since these are breakpoints in skill’s fumble scaling, for Veil of Shadow I’d say it’s good to have 10/10, many nightblades actually push it to these levels because it means RR from Night’s Chill is applied in better radius. It isn’t necessary for the pure melee build, so I usually save points here, but if you need some defense…

Yeah, Seal of Blades is what I’ve been using for extra lifesteal and %armor and Seal of Might might be worth considering too, but I’m not sure which one is better. Try it with Gallstones I guess and if survivability turns out to be fine for you then Gallstones it is.

60%+ is an acceptable stun resist. I would worry more about your 30% slow resist instead. Normally you’d want 60%+ on builds that rely on autoattacking, since otherwise you can be slowed and not only your damage would drop, but your sustain would drop too since it lives off lifesteal.

I see you’ve got one Misery already. I’d say try to push it to shard 60 and grab full SR set. A cheesy way to do it is to quickly climb it on normal up to shard 65 to grab the waystone blueprint, and then open shard 65 on Ultimate, you’d need to tryhard it once to just buy the full SR set.

One point into Blade Barrier for an emergency heal should work wonders for your SR climb.

One question about gear…
Kinda stuck with Alchemist’s Belt at 45.
Yeah, it drags behind in armour, but those +skills…
Also at this point kinda needs to be getting replacements to most suggested gear exc. weapons & helmet.

Belt isn’t a super important slot to keep up with level.

This build is so hard to pilot, like I need to press one numkey which is rather hard!
Seriously speakin dead easy to pilot, don’t really need potions mostly because if I need one I’ll be dead before potion does its thing.
Around level 60 there’s really nothing to worry but some mobs that shred defences and land some high burst.
Rogue dungeons aren’t really doable yet, need some lifeleech first.
Also besides MIs FG has mostly been a huge waste of time so far.
Say how would one fine tune build to work best in rogue dungeons?

Get Ascension.

Any easy way to turn that fire retaliation into acid?
I do happen to be wearing legendary boots, that give acid ret, so +%Ret is useful, but a full Perdition set would be even more useful with lovely acid damage though I would have to lose heavily on damage and it would be a whole different toon.