[DW melee] Beginner's Virulent Dervish

No, they do not.

1 Like

Hello stupid dragon.

I was looking around for a beginner DW guide and finally stumbled across your stuff, which looks amazing. I first saw the blademaster and have been lvling up my night blade (lvl 27 veteran) and so far it has been tons of fun, I was pretty much dead set on using the blademaster since I thought that was the main DW build of the game but I saw this dervish class which looks equally as fun.

I know I’m just here rambling, so my point is, which class should I choose between the Dervish or blade master? I know the basics between the two is either dot or flat dmg, but are there any other insights you could provide between the classes?

I’ve never been able to fully experience elite or ultimate So I’m looking for a fun build to carry me through and eventually start farming for better gear. I was playing a pyromancer class all the way to lvl 72 until I realized how much of a terrible class it is for a self found account. Now, I’m having a hard time choosing between your two DW classes in fear that I’ll spend another hundred hours only to regret my choice.

Thanks for taking the time to read the post.

Actually, Dervish is also flat. The previous version was a flat / DoT hybrid with poison ticks up to 100k, but that came at the cost of defense, and I realized kiting and letting poison do the job isn’t what beginners want when they are looking to play a DW build. So it is now a flat damage build with better defenses. There’s still some leftover DoT but it’s not a focus of the build anymore.

After aforementioned build rework there isn’t much difference between them. The single target is more or less the same, but Blademaster is a bit more durable by the virtue of having War Cry, which is why most of the time I recommend Blademaster over Dervish. Blademaster’s AoE is much worse than Dervish because both are using devotion procs to cover that up, and Tainted Eruption simpy does better job clearing trash than Azraaka’s Shifting Sands.

Pyromancer is a perfectly fine class to play self-found.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I’ll be sticking with blade master then.

As for pyromancer, what are some tips you could give? My current build is a DW ranged chaos build, but I notice so many of the builds on the compendium say not to level it up the way I’m doing, but then they provide no other builds.

Current build: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/DV93WbnN (pyromancer - veteran)

Would appreciate the feedback.

Use fire as a primary damage and chaos a a secondary.

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/lV7dK5vZ
Did some minor adjustments to your build.

1 Like

Thanks for the info on the new build, I’ll definitely be looking into it.

Yet your GT build in the OP has Mark of Mogdrogen :wink:

No idea what was I thinking at the time. Perhaps I decided that slow resist I have from boots and fettan is ok so +4% hp is better. Generally if your slow resistance isn’t 70%+ you get Mark of Traveller.

1 Like

Is Mad Queen’s Claw a straight-up upgrade over the Wendingo Claw?

I finally got one and am wondering whether i should use it, or farm the Shattered Set first?

The build needs to be adjusted for optimal use of MQC. Normally you wouldn’t seek to invest much in Dual Blades, but with MQC you totally should max it. Use ya’s build as a reference. SG set isn’t build defining, it’s just a very defensive set with +2 to all skills.

But ya’s build has almost the same skill allocation as yours… He hasn’t maxed Dual Blades.

On another note, i got the Outcast quest to kill Archivist Thelon and i said i’d try again to kill Van Aldricht and i failed again, and again due to my overconfidence. Things were going smoother this time, i managed to kill one of the three and figured i’d just facetank the other two, who were almost dead already and in one moment i just dropped to 0 HP in a split second. The secret is to be always on the move and to not stand in the pools, as standing in the pools kills…

Lol really.

@ya1 why?

Thank you for the detailed guide! I’ve been having a blast following your leveling instructions but now I’m completely confused. Nowhere in the leveling guide does it say to add a point to Breath of Belgothian yet I’m pretty sure that’s a requirement for DW. Also, it says to add a point to Ring of Frost and Ring of Steel at level 18 yet you don’t have those skills selected in your grimtool link for level 20. I feel like I’m missing something completely obvious here but would appreciate a nudge in the right direction. Thanks!

I will revisit 1-20 section later for more clarity. Thank you for pointing it out.

To put it simply you don’t need Breath of Belgothian early on because I take it to allow dual wielding. All of the 1-19 levelling I did with rifle, then 2H. It’s basically level 20 where I switched to DW because I got a neat Riftscourge Slicer which injected a handful of steroids into Shadow Strike. Ring of Steel I probably removed as an experiment on whether I could kill Krieg with just Shadow Strike + ABB.

I’d say take one point from say Nidalla’s JE and put it into Breath of Belgothian, then keep going towards level 35 setup. Should be fine.

Awesome, thanks for the quick reply!

SD,
Thank you very much for your beginners guides. This is the second one I’ve followed. The being the pre-Kriege build.
I started using this one about a week ago or so.
One hiccup I found in the build is in the level 20 area.
You offer 2 snapshots of lvl 20 builds to face the Warden: The Shadow Strike and the Face Tank.
The Shadow Strike GT shows it with dual weapons but the skill build doesn’t include any points to Dual Blades.
Also, earlier on in the build description you talk about going dual weapons but you don’t actually get around to spending a point into DB until in the 40s range.
I see way down in the posts that you did a revamp (I think that happened before I started) and may readdress the level 1-20 info, so I wanted to point out that one issue I was having. I ended up putting a point into DB to try and match the build for when I went after the Warden. It worked ok. I didn’t die while fighting him.
I was around 23 or 24 though, I think, by the time I reached him. I had to fight through the same area a few times due to game crashing before I reached the next riftgate.

Up to that point I stuck with ranged and had these three items to help me out. The prefix and suffix weren’t that great but the raw skill levels gave me the damage boost along the way.

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/nZoBGEoV
Currently, I’m at lvl 30 in FG aiming to reach the Stingers. I still have the rings but will dump them soon I think. I like the power boost but I’m starting to hit that ‘needs better res’ time.

Thank you for the builds. You do good work.

The shadow strike version uses breath of belgothian skill which allows you to double wield.

searches and searches and searches and…
Oh, there it is.
Still, if you go through the level by level guide of how to spend your skill points he still doesn’t note to put a point into it.
So, one way or another, had to drop a point into either dual blades or breath of belgothian. But, at least, it all explains how the SS version is DWing.
Thanks for pointing that out. :slight_smile:

Sorry I forgot to respond to your post.

Yes, I’ve used Breath of Belgothian to allow dual-wielding. It’s not a big deal even if I didn’t point it out in the guide. I mean even if you didn’t bother to simply copy my skill setup and realize it actually works it isn’t exactly a big issue if you had to invest a point in Dual Blades. It just means you’re 1 point behind, that’s all.

As for the trainsition to Krieg killing setups and then to 21+ not being clear enough I already acknowledged two posts above your, and this will be fixed in due time.

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
Mostly I’m just adding in my observations as editing notes. And part of my noting of the DB thing is that I didn’t realize what Breath of Belgothian did when it was spoken of. If I did that probably would’ve made more sense to me (referring to the upper posts about it). But now I do. :slight_smile:
I still am enjoying your builds and your build guides. You do great work.
Last night I started another of yours, Beginner Nephrite Spellbinder. I’ve been wanting to do a pure caster for a while and this is a great intro to them, imo. Thank you.