[DW melee] Beginner's Virulent Dervish

Thank you very much for the reply!

It’s true, the damage is indeed very good, bosses die very fast, but i believe one can’t have too much damage! :roll_eyes:

How’s the AoE now by the way?

Oh, it’s wonderful since i got the Tainted Eruption! Now i don’t even really look at trash mobs, i only rush to the elites and bosses! Most trash dies from SS anyway, those that are not close enough die to the TE a second later :slight_smile:.

I think i should look myself a SS build, i like very much the play-style. So i could just teleport into mobs and they die, then i teleport straight into other mobs! As it is now, not all yellow mobs die from SS alone, it needs a bit of damage boost and some CDR.

Btw, i have the blueprint for the Hood of Dreeg, would it be an upgrade over Malmouth Helm or Fettan Mask?

I also have Mythical Timewarped Wlakers, which have even more slow resistance, some Phys res, better resistances over Final March, but no DA and +Phys. Which one should i use?

I have several blue and purple pants with over 1000 armor, which i could use as well, but i have no idea which ones to choose. Please tell me what should i prioritize when choosing pants (besides relevant resists of course).

I think you overdid it a little bit :slight_smile:. I will try the Spinedust.

Sounds like you would enjoy Dunefiend set.

That’s unlikely to be a good idea. I might have considered it over Malmouth helm since it doesn’t give anything special, but Fettan gives +1 to all Skills. And Dervish is a pretty skillpoint deficient class.

In the vast majority of cases boots and pants are the stat slots, so you choose whatever you’re lacking elsewhere. Try different stuff.

1 Like

I am trying to understand your skill distribution, but i think i am too stupid to do that :frowning:.

I get it that there are some skills that you wish to softcap at their regular level, i.e. Merciless Repertoire, Night’s Chill, Shadow Dance etc.

Then there are skills you want overcapped as much as possible - Lethal Assault, Righteous Fervor…

But then, there are some skills that are neither softcapped at their regular level, nor overcapped to max - Celestial Presence 13/12 (with 11 points invested), Path of the Three 13/12 (11 points invested) and so on.

Now since i have different gear, i have different skillpoints bonuses from gear, so i just can’t figure it out how to efficiently invest my skillpoints.

Could you please explain a bit the reasoning behind the skill distribution? Like what skill i want maxxed, what skill i want softcapped and at what level etc.

Night’s Chill is actually in the as much as possible category, same as Celestial Presence. If I had few spare points I would have had pushed these higher before anything else. This is the concept of RR skill overcaps - the more advanced your build becomes the more worth it to get these overcaps while cutting corners elsewhere. I didn’t invent this - it’s simply the practice that experienced builders follow.

Merciless Repertoire on the other hand isn’t that important. It’s still good, but between overcapping it vs overcapping RR skills the latter takes priority. Whether it’s worth to go below softcap to push RR skills is a good question though. I don’t know the answer. You want to go down that rabbit hole you do your own math.

If I remember correctly this is to get an extra % of cooldown reduction.

It’s true. Is CDR important for this build? Wouldn’t be better to leave it at 9 or 11, to boost Night’s Chill?

The only real benefit of this cdr here is shorter Ascension cooldown.

Personally I wouldn’t lower it.

Hey, first thank you for the very detailled guide.

I’m trying to level with this build but I’m finding myself dying a lot in Veteran, I’m level 25 currently and just killed the warden. I tried to update my armor as much as I could for my level but I didn’t feel that much improvement.

Is the build more designed to level in normal and not veteran ? Not quite sure what I could change so it feels better and not dying as much

Thanks for any advice you may have

Actually no, I test all of my builds through veteran hardcore.

My standard advice is if you find it too difficult to yourself to play veteran then switch to normal. After patch 1.1.4 that veteran difficulty is one hell of an ego trap. It’s not a reasonable difficulty for beginners at all, even if you’ve played similar games before.

Well I’ve played through the game before but using a pet build so it was a totally different experience, it’s my first time trying melee in Grim Dawn.

But I’ll just go to normal for now and try again veteran after a few levels, see how it goes I guess

In my experience the difficulty gets reasonable after about level 30-35. It is specifically early veteran that is hell.

I just found Mythical Alchemist Mantle and can’t decide if it’s better than the Elite Wendigo Vile Spaulders.

Since we don’t have any source of vitality damage that would benefit from conversion, i think the Mantle is worse and it has less armor too. Am i right?

It’s not a bad gear piece but I think +3 to LA wins over +2 RF and +2 MR unless you can easily cap LA through different means.

1 Like

I wanted to say that i met ultimate Valdaran and successfully killed him. I could pretty much facetank him while chugging potions of health, but at the end i had to tele out, because i was afraid of dying and he died of poison in the split second i needed to recover.

It was a pretty short fight as well, he died very fast. I don’t know if this is normal for any build, or that this build is so good, but i have to say that i absolutely love it!

Edit: Van Aldricht and his councilmans defeated me though. I guess i underestimated them, or overestimated my power.

Valdaran is one of the easiest Nemesises to deal with in campaign. You basically need to initiate on him with Shadow Strike since that would prevent him casting Lightning Bolt with RR on you. Then it’s simply whether you have enough sustain to eat his shotguns. Nothing a well timed use of PB and Ascension can’t deal with.

Van Aldritch has a skill that has 45 RR, one of his companions has a skill with 30 RR. You either need 45+ overcaps of pretty much everything (especially elemental) or play carefully. The flat RR icon is that of a glowing broken shield above your character.

It is really a boss that gets much easier if you know what he can do.

The problem is that i failed to kite them. Twice i used my movement ability, but instead of getting to my cursor, i just charged into one of the bosses, don’t know why. And when using regular movement my attacks stop, so i have no sustain anymore…

I’d argue that kite isn’t the right word for enemies like that but whatever.

Can’t even begin to guess why do you end up charging one of the bosses instead of blinking away, if anything it sounds like, you know, pressing wrong buttons. I’d check options whether it has “classic targeting” and “classic casting” by chance. Normally one doesn’t use them.

As for attacks stopping - sounds like you were fighting in the fumble poison pool. That’s what I meant by knowing what the boss can do.

If I have the mood left I’d try running them tomorrow and record the run.

1 Like

is it even worth running them again? do they drop anything useful for a Dervish? i’d rather use my keys in the FG dungeon…