[DW melee] Beginner's Virulent Dervish

The lvl100 GT has different devotions than lvl75 GT. I assume that the lvl75 one is the last updated and thus should be used, right?

It doesn’t matter much. After all I tested the level 100 devotions too and they work alright. But for levelling I just prefer to get Behemoth since Behemoth is just OP for levelling - extra heal, more health and +80 armor flat, which means you’d worry less about your gear being below your level, esp. since Consecration is also a great armor boost.

Level 100 isn’t set in stone - I may keep my level 75 devotions or I may squeeze more damage. It depends. For now you can pick either.

1 Like

i engaged Avatar of Mogdrogen on normal and he crushed me like an insect…

Refer to troubleshooting, p. 6.

1 Like

i’m not whining. I was just curious how hard can it be :smile:, since it’s the first celestial i’ve encountered.

Well, you did satisfy your curiosity then I guess. Come back to fight him when you’re level 100 and can handle Ultimate, and perhaps you’d stand a chance :wink:

1 Like

I tried the same with Normal Ravager at lvl 81 and i did it!!! i could kill him, i think it took me under 5 minutes and i only died once because of getting cocky. Hit and run tactics did the trick pretty well. Do you think i could kill Normal Mogdrogen too now?

When will you finish the guide though? :stuck_out_tongue:

I tried and i did it!!! Apparently i could even facetank him, although i only did it by the end of the fight. He was lvl 81, not 86 as Ravager.

That’s the build i have running atm - https://www.grimtools.com/calc/a2EwrOnZ.

Do you think Ravager’s Gaze or Elite Fettan Mask would be better than my helm? The +7% AS to Righteous Fervor is what keeps me from changin the helm for another one…

I’m writing guides when I’m playing Grim Dawn, and I’m playing Grim Dawn in an on-and-off way. Currently it’s an off.

Congrats on your Ravager and Mog kills.

The +7% bonus is becoming less of a deal as you progress further into the game, esp. since affixes can be pretty meh. +1 to all skills on the other hand becomes more valueable as you’re getting close to endgame.

1 Like

What about the weapons? Is Wendingo Claw better than the MI of the same level?

I have a Corrosive MI that gives me a little bit more +acid and less +%acid. How big of an impact has that +200 flat damage to Righteous Fervor?

Edit: I just figured i’d try it and switched to wendingo’s and things started literally melting, looks like way more DPS than Gunnar, although Righteous Fervor’s sheet DPS remained basically the same.

Apparently the core damage is not from the RF skill, but from other sources.

Like with pretty much all MIs the answer is depends on affixes. Garbage affixes can result in the weapon being worse than Wendigo Claw, uber affixes on the other hand can put it above legendary options, with a good margin.

It’s a quite good bonus, but nothing that is worth clinging to.

Actually no, core damage is precisely from RF, plus WPS procs on top of it (which your tooltip doesn’t include in calculation).

There shouldn’t be that much of a difference if dps tooltips are the same. I think you’re simply caught into good feel of using a sword. I mean it when I’m using a 2H mace it’s seemingly bad and slow and makes a boring dull THUD sound, but when I apply a sword illusion unto it becomes a pleasant WHOOSH WHOOSH WHOOSH and I feel like I’m melting stuff :rofl:

When in doubt it’s better to do a dummy dps test with both weapons, if the difference is real it should show.

1 Like

By the way, is the main GT link in the OP the last version of the build (i mean the lvl 100 one)?

The most recent.

Hey, thank you very much for this build! I wanted to try an acid build for a long time and this guide was super helpful. The build is super fun and leveling up was a breeze.

Also helps a bit that I had some items already, like jacket and fist of venomblade, 2x misery, deadly means belt. But now that I’m at endgame, gear confuses me a bit.

For one, I have 2 x venomlash swords, and the char sheet dps with them is a lot higher than with misery. Looking at their effects, I cannot see why I’d go with misery at all, yet I don’t see venomlash mentioned in any of the dervish guides I’ve checked. Am I missing something about these swords?

The other is the medal… I have a mark of the forbidden which on top of nice acid bonuses adds some damage to righteous fury, yet most guides seem to use lethal intents badge. Is it really better? (one guide considered forbidden mark for a while, but still chose different in the end)

Thanks!

1 Like

You’ve picked the worst person to ask that. I don’t play high end builds like other people do. I finish a budget build - I post a guide - I move on to the next one.

Venomlashes I have no idea about. In theory it should be a poison weapon instead of flat acid, similar to how Bloodsong Trickster is played.

As for the medal IIRC Mark of LI ends up better offense-wise due to +Lethal Assault. Mark of the Forbidden IIRC is better defense-wise due to it’s fumble proc.

@ya1

2 Likes

Yup, the effect it adds is indeed poison, quite a bit of it. So the question is whether to go DoT or flat, and seems most guides prefer flat for this type of build.

Thank you for the reply! (now gonna build a char based on your blademaster too, really nice guides you write! :smiley: )

Venomlashes lose with both Miseries and Mad Queen Claws for a plain autoattack Fervor build (imo). Char sheet dps is not really relevant to anything. Each Misery you equip is 30-40 extra skillpoints and often 2 extra ultimate ranks otherwise unattainable. Mad Queen Claw got conversion, excellent proc and give a really solid boost to sustain.

Venomlash seems good for a hybrid Fervor/ABB builds focused on DoTs. And for that full Venomblade set is better. Unless there is a secret non-set build that’s better than Venomblade (quite possible - VB was not updated for a long time and kinda lags behind the best nightblade sets now) which could use the cold to acid from Venomlash.

Lethal Intents got oa, ranks to Lethal Assault, more %dmg and a crafting bonus. Forbidden is more a vitality conjurer medal. It doesn’t have what melee dervishes need.

2 ranks to Lethal Assault is already more dmg from Fervor than the mod from Fornidden - let alone more oa and %dmg from those ranks. Forbidden’s 18 acid to Fervor (provided full vit to acid conversion) is a flat dmg to skill bonus, not global flat dmg which gets multiplied by weapon damage (for example x474% on Execution with Fervor at 26/26 and Execution at 5/10). And global flat dmg applies to everything with weapon dmg, not just Fervor (ABB, SS, Guardian Eyes, Shuroth ring, etc)

2 Likes

That makes it very clear, thank you very much! :smiley:

I am in the process of transiting to the end-game gear and i had some questions.

Here is the build i have at the moment - https://www.grimtools.com/calc/1NXj8OOV (except the green weapon). The augments aren’t optimized yet, i know.

1. I run double Wndigo Claw, but i have a similar MI as in the linked build, only with proper 212 acid damage bonus to RF (unfortunately, i can’t take a screenshot to show it - it shows a black page instead). Should i use it once i hit lvl94, or the Wendigo Claw is better?

2. Should i switch to the Malmouth Helm, or is the Ravager Gaze better? What do I do when i get the Ultimate Fettan Mask, which one is the best option?

3. If i switch the rings for the Coven Defenders, i lose damage and some resistances that are not capped yet (poison and piercing), what should i do?

4. I have the Mythical Final March boots, but i think mine are better for this build. Am I wrong and why?

5. Why do you use the Seal of Blades on weapons? For the Pierce resistance? It looks like i lose a lot of damage for dropping the Vitriolic Gallstones (i get very nervous when i lose damage…:slight_smile: ).

6. Can you suggest some improvements for my gear, especially components? i don’t have all the blueprints yet, but i have most of them (still no Ugdenbog Leather and Living Armor though).

7. I have the Glyph of the Pouncing Manticore. I think it’s it better then the one i use now, right?

Thank you very much and sorry for bothering you so much!

1. You should do the dummy kill test when in doubt.
  2. Use the Main build gear as the referrence.
  3. If you actually can keep resistances capped on ultimate with Venom Harvest then stick with them until Mythical Widow’s Sting blueprint drops (or better gear, refer to high end setups)
  4. Final March are preferable because of slow resistance. Basically, there’s a lot of slowing effects in the game that affect not only your movement speed, but attack speed too, resulting in your DPS being nerfed to the ground. My main setup has 30% from Fettan and 30% from Final March, so it’s a good 60% resistance. You’re at 0% now. Final March also have a bit of physical damage resistance too.
  5. %attack damage converted to health, pierce resistance and %armor too.

i get very nervous when i lose damage…

Lol this dervish has metric fucktons of damage, back when I first posted the guide I was looking at 135k sheet dps in faction gear at some point and asking myself question “is this shit legit?”
    But that setup lacked some crucial stats (OA, DA, resistance overcaps, CC resistances), so the damage was cut down in their favour. After all you do no damage when you’re dead.

1. My go-to component in rings if I don’t have Bloodied Crystal blueprint available yet is Mark of Illusion. Component in gloves should be Unholy Inscription in case you don’t have Ugdenbog Leather yet. Boots should have Mark of Traveller because it has 10% slow resistance. Mark of Mogdrogen is a gimmicky component used only for regen-heavy builds. Dreeg’s Spinedust is an overall superior weapon augment for the build if you want damage. I had it before, but since many complained that the build is too frail I switched to Ravager’s Eye.

2. It’s a leap rune. Leap runes have some issues, so most experienced builders avoid them like fire. Teleport type beats everything in convenience, Rush type beats everything in efficiency.
    Well, I sometimes use non-meta stuff just for fun and style, BUT! The character is like a poison-using assasin. Why would one want it leaping like a barbarian?

1 Like