[DW melee] Beginner's Virulent Dervish

Ah ok thank you. Was using ABB for my main attack but I’ll switch to RF. Thank you!

This build is not begginer friendly at all. I started gd again as I forgot to get back my old save from my old pc, so no stash no reputations on other chars etc… I struggled clearing A1N with all the shrines taken and the early devotions from the crucible trick.

The itemisation is extremly intricate when you have access to nothing else, I ended dealing 0 dmgs on the boss while playing dumb down spellcasters would rekt everything with ease. Survivability is way more tricky than it should. (full physique and still getting in hairy situations even when spamming healing)

When I playtest a build I take into account that someone will play them starting fresh. Among other limitations I only use stuff I got with the character up to level 20, including components. I also don’t do the devotion crucible trick. Still had no problem.

That said, the build was written in 1.1.2.5 patch and the early difficulty was reworked in 1.1.4.0. I admit it is much harder to start as a pure melee character now. Starting as a caster is definitely easier.

Also, you say A1N, but if by chance it’s actually veteran then it’s no wonder. You have to overoptimize your character in Act 1 these days if you want to have an easy time playing as a melee on veteran. Best I could suggest is to switch to normal if that’s the case.

Wow man, ty for for your lovely response.

ty for the output. I struggled a bit with it and actually managed to save the character. The clutch part was the forgotten god helm and weapons boss items and proper components. As a matter of fact, I was playing veteran and it was way harder than anything I did prior to that. The build started getting very good on bosses after getting manticore ascension.

I would recommend any true debutant playing some kind of build that doesn’t require farming A5 or A6 items, for example gunner with cadence or lighting spell casters(good spammable aoes and decent survivability cds). It is that brutal, and you want that kind of zoomzoom as first char to get those bounties asap.

For a true debutant I’d recomment to punch their ego and do the first playthrough on normal. Some debutants had been having issues even with the old, pre-1.1.4.0 veteran, occasionally posting the “Is this game supposed to be that hard?” threads. 100% of the time it was their gear, not their build. Build didn’t matter all that much. Now it requires both paying attention to gear and using optimal levelling strategies.

Lul? Not beginner friendly? What? :smiley: Serious?

I followed the guide 1by1
The whole level part was a rush. Never had any problem. This Hero is a beast and delete the whole game in easy mode.
self buffs on, Shadow strike to enemy, Blade burst for more flat dmg and auto attack go. Easy. Only farm i have done was the MI weapon for my level in the Forgotton Gods zone, From the scorpion.

see this:"
What a wonderfull Beast https://www.grimtools.com/calc/b289v1pV

Level 74 Snapshot. Finished Secret temple, aom campaign, got xp potion and now start FG elite. Ready to farm for better mi weapons and rush to ultimate with new weapons"

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/qNY5pLJN this is the hero I finished ultimate with. Could farm now better gear. But I stop playing for other games :smiley:

serious… some people…

I tried now every beginner build/guide. Reseted my account for 5th time. And this Build. The Blademaster Build. And the Fire Dmg Builds and the Pet Beginner are easy and good enough to start the game. Farm the endgame and snowroll into set items.

That’s quite a dedication :slightly_smiling_face:

Seriously though, restarting the game doesn’t make you a “beginner”. That’s the realization I had quite a while ago - if I can do it easily it doesn’t mean that the beginner would have no problems at all, because beginner doesn’t have my 3.5k hours played over the span of 3.5 years. Ideally a build intended for beginners should have a margin just in case the one who plays it is someone clueless about the game, but I’ve got no way to test it before publishing.

1 Like

Its like a Ladder reset :smiley:

The rest is true. But not all beginner builds guide can have a full guide about game mechanics. Some Basic stuff maybe.
Priolist for gear:
Max resi, get high HP, get OA und DA so high that you can crit but not get critted etc… etc…

This Part helped me a little. Just read the text, enhance your gear with the guide.

" * Vitriolic Gallstone in both weapons. Pretty expensive, since you need 8 Mutagenic Inchor’s to craft them, which you probably won’t have that early if that’s your first character.

• Wardstone into amulet and medal.
  • Frozen Heart into one ring
  • Silk Swatch in the shoulders.
  • Scaled Hide into pants
  • Antivenom Salve in the belt
    That’s the bare minimum of what you need by level 35. Ideally you’d also want Ancient Armor Plating into torso and Runestone into the head. Second ring can be Corpse Dust, Soul Shard or another Frozen Heart."

Is there a weapon preference for this build? For example, should I use daggers, swords, axes? Or does it matter? Thanks in advance

No, there is none. Whatever boosts your DPS the most.

Thanks. Getting punked in the arkovia lost city. Messing with some components now for better stats. Is the inventor the only place to remove components? Because THAT is a hassle lol

Yes, only inventor can remove components. Before you ask - only Spirit Guide can reset your skill points and devotion points, the reset of attribute points is only possible via rare potion and resetting of chosen masteries is impossible without cheat software. Also only caravaneers allow you to store items, only bounty tables handle bounties, only faction quartermasters sell faction gear and only illusionists change your attire. So many hassles, isn’t it? :roll_eyes:

Yes :joy: and dont get me started on the poorly detailed maps lol. I mean can they at least label the zones on the world map lol

Most locations are labelled on the world map in fine print.

Maybe the minimap then? All I know is I traverse many subzones going to one listed on the map and am never sure exactly where I am if I’m not watching closely to see the zone name pop up when im playing lol

The zone name should be written above the minimap.

Just found this thread. Im level 47ish and switching from a different build to this one. Where can i farm for a good weapon?

From the guide:

i completely missed that. Thank you for pointing out my stupidity

Gannar vakkar sting is really hard to farm though. As it only spawns once and running around like a scared dog avoiding you.

I’d say a good old rift scourge slicer with alacrity suffix could serve you more than enough in levelling.