[DW melee] Beginner's Virulent Dervish

You can’t go elite with your piercing and poison resistance, the first mob with a gun kills you.
Check the armorer in devil crossing looking for pierce and poison resistance in the components section, you’ll maybe have to replace armor elements to boost these resists too.

Then check quartermasters, level 65 you should access augments that will help a lot with resistances :wink:

No idea who thee Quartermaster is and no idea what Augments are.

I made some changes to my armor. got poison to like 78%

Where the fuck are your components…

The reason you’re killed is low pierce and poison resistance (act 1 has plenty of enemies with poison), low armor absorption (GG explosive aetherials), and you’re even using Chains of Anquish on top of it (welcome random oneshots when it procs). It got nothing to do with the build, any other melee character would had been thoroughly fucked in this case.

In the game you have reputations with factions (Devil’s Crossing, Homestead etc …). You can see them pressing “J” in-game.

For each (friendly) faction there is a NPC called quartermeaster whom sells you stuff according to your reputation level with his faction. Among this stuff ther is “augments” which functions like components : you add it to your actual stuff to gain various advantadges and notably, resists :wink:

IN my GT link you can see poison resist augments in rings which are sold by Devil’s Crossing quartermaster. I hope that it will help ! :wink:

But in fact S_D’s guide is really beginner friendly in the sense everything is detailled :slight_smile:

I know that there is a common rule for HPs (100 HP per level), I see that you can evaluate armor rating quite easily, does this kind of rule exists for OA/DA/armor ?

I evaluate armor rating simply by comparing one’s character with my snapshot of give or take the same level. Also if there are blue items or MIs I compare their requirements to character level. I don’t really have cookie cutter numbers. When I play I simply keep my gear pieces not too far behind my character level. Heavy armor pieces can be kept for longer while light armor and especially caster armor must be updated in a timely manner.

OA and DA on the other hand I don’t pay much attention when levelling. I usually have enough DA from investing in physique and enough OA from picking up OA skills/devotions in mid levels.

1 Like

Ok ! Thank you :slight_smile:

i cant craft Vitriolic Gallstone nor can i find the blueprint drop location. so any help finding this item would be great.

It is available from the start, no need for blueprint.

Ok so i’ve searched the black smith on normal setting and this item never showed up. BUT when i put it on vet it showed up.

Whatever you imply is impossible because your unlocked blueprints are kept in the same file regardless of difficulty.

Actually not true. Just had my brother try and craft the item and he could only see the item on vet and i also asked a friend of mine to check also and he had the same results. Could be something within a saved game file or steam cloud save.
Also created a game on normal and asked them to join to see if they could see the item, they couldn’t. i recreated the game on vet and had them join and they could all see it. Could just be a bug.

Okay, it might be. From the way you say it’s easy to replicate, can you post a screenshot?

Can anyone help me with my build? I followed the guide with a few small deviations and it was working great until level 95 in the expansions, then I suddenly became very squishy. I’ve been doing a lot of hit and run with dots and ascension, but just got basically one-shot by a manticore in the ancient grove.

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/nZo7rWvZ

Dude, there are four difficulty modes in the game and two noteworthy manticores in Ancient Grove. Do you want me to just guess which ones you mean?

One obvious mistake you’re doing is 70% armor absorption. That’s your character building mistake, not my build’s fault. Any high level build with armor absorption that low would suffer the same fate.

Sigh. Since this build got quite popular recently I guess I’ll do an update before moving on to next one.

1 Like

My bad, I thought the grim tools difficulty and my level would’ve given it away, and it was just some mob manticore. I like your build otherwise I wouldn’t be using it, I just wanted to figure out what I was missing. Sorry if you had a rough day.

Actually, difficulty in grim tools always defaults to ultimate, even if you upload a level 20 character. Level 95 doesn’t give it away either since it’s a bit too late for elite and suprirsingly early for ultimate roguelike farming. My standard practice is transition from elite to ultimate at about level 90, then I get to 100 just by completing vanilla campaign on Ultimate. Since you mentioned level 95 I could had easily assumed you’re trying it on elite.

If that’s Ultimate then your “mob” manticore enemy is highly likely the Manticore Deathstalker, in which case it woudn’t be surprising he oneshot you given your DA. Lemme guess - high initial damage and then you’ve just melted from damage over time, right? I’ve been killed with more durable characters by that thing, and that was before all roguelike dungeons received a stat boost.

Given all of that I would say you’re asking too much out of the build as it is now. All of my builds are based around the idea of providing a build that could start farming Ultimate, but I never ever stated that this kind of gear is enough to clear everything.

Rough day huh. People who come saying that they “followed my guide” but “they are too squishy” show up every once in a while, and I always take it as an implication that the build is bad. 100% of the time I discover that they ignored some character building basics like keeping gear up to level or using components. Seems obvious if you think about it but you’d be surprised. What’s worse is people would often assume I would magically know what’s the problem with their character because they are “following my guide”. You happened to be a second one in one day so yeah, sorry for lashing on you like that, especially since you actually provided GT without asking.

Now that I think about it you’ve probably been using Scaled Hide until level 95 that should had boosted your armor absorption to 84%. This is if you had been following the guide relatively closely. Then you probably discarded it when you were tweaking your build with updated gear. Try Scaled Hide + Ancient Armor Plating or even double Scaled Hide, you’d notice the difference for sure.

So, by some miracle I had a copy of my dead Dervish left. I used cheat tool to revive him and switch to softcore and ran him through Steps of Torment on Ultimate. The record of the run is below.

Here’s what I think about it:

1. I suspected that me dying vs Alkamos was some sort of an unlucky coincidence, like bad mutators and Alkamos spawning with some uber weapon. Now I’m pretty much sure.

2. I call bullshit on all rebukes that the build is too squishy. Perhaps it is, but for hardcore. For softcore damage spikes I experienced during the run is an acceptable performance.

3. Since it’s softcore I pulled a pokerface and facetanked shit unless hp dropped too low. Usually I play more safe. Expected to get rekt, but nah.

4. If not low defensive ability (2626 w/ PB and Consecration while I’d want somewhere around 2850) it would be pretty much as durable as any other beginner build of mine, except Deathknight.

5. Devotion setup is hyperoffensive with the idea of stacking poison and just kiting when shit hits the fan, but I guess players would had preferred a setup where more defense is guaranteed outside of gear. My mistake, would work on it.

1 Like

I am using this build now, but I transited from Contragor’s immortal pets Dervish, because i failed to farm a couple of important gear for that build at the needed time (this is my first char ever, so I made a couple of stupid mistakes…) and kept dying too often.

Long story short, I am undergeared for both builds, dying regularly to elites, but in a position where I can more or less farm the necessary gear for any of the two builds.

Which of the two builds would be better for clearing MC and getting to 100? By better I mean faster and less problems with bosses.

To be honest, by playing these builds I understood that I do not like pets or melee. I’d rather be range or caster, but have no clue if it’s viable as dervish and I definitely don’t want to start another char before I get this one to 100.

So keeping this in mind, maybe there are some other viable builds for leveling a Dervish with self found gear? I am willing to farm for needed items, if it’s not hundreds of hours. I am around lvl 40 atm.