Dying on Ultimate/Challenger. What should I be doing? (DW Fire-Lightning Purifier)

Hello, new person here.

I’ve been having trouble getting through Ultimate and Challenger–if I’m fighting a monster totem, or Wave 30 on Crucible (with Warden Krieg), I have a tendency to die to damage spikes from certain monsters. For example, getting charged by 5 Aetherial Colossuses back-to-back has a tendency to kill me, or come very close to doing so.

Here’s my current build on Grim Tools: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/O2GqdRkZ
I’m generally trying to go for a Fire-Lightning DW Purifier.

What are some things I should be doing to improve my survivability? I’m aware that my Chaos/Aether resists need some improvement, but I’ve been having trouble keeping them up even with augments. Given my current level and gear, where should I be farming for better gear? This is my first high-level character so I have to be self-reliant for gear. (My end goal is the Dagallon set.)

Thanks for the help!

If you’re going to be self-reliant on gear, I recommend to go into Shattered Realm on Normal and farm up some better pieces. What you’ve got should be fine to get up to 50 or so. Turn in every 5 rounds and then restart with a key to push until you think you hit your limit. Then farm 2 shards at a time. This is an effective way to gear up as a new player, and because it’s on Normal you don’t need to have Ultimate-level resist overcapping, but the mobs are still level 100+ so you get endgame relevant loot.

1 Like

Dagallon is one of the squishiest sets,it is really bad in terms of defense and it needs some convertion from lightning to fire. You are way better using Stronghold set and some Justicar armor

1 Like

Huh, so Dagallon’s Set is squishy? Interesting. My build was inspired by this one https://www.grimtools.com/calc/m23BxR7N so I figured I’d gear it up similarly

Aetherial Colossuses? Physical resistance then! Also works against Flesh Hulks. I remember having big problems with those until I raised phys res. You can see yours near the top of 3rd character page.

1 Like

I remember going pierce on my old hardcore Purifier just so I could use Conviction. Those aetherials in Malmouth are terrifying.