Easy/simple RR dmg scaling table/formula?

is there like an easy to go to formula that will quickly and simple calculate the value and effectiveness of increased RR?
i suck at math, but i did cobble together my own little thing that seems to matches up with my tests, it’s however not simple and quick to measuring additional RR added on top of existing, and basically requires me to go back to square one and do multiple steps each time i want to figure a new/increased value out

any of you have a method of accomplishing that a bit more efficiently?

Wouldn’t it be wastly dependant on monster’s resistance? Every one of them has different resistances, and some of them can gain more through equipped items (to the point of complete immunity; I had Zaria with over 200 fire res a couple of times).

So basically, the higher the resistance, the more valuable and effective RR becomes. Example: monster has 100% cold res, you only have 10% cold RR - this means only 10% of your damage is delivered. But if we increase our RR by only 10, this would double our damage. Adding another 10 would increase our damage by 33% this time. Another 10 - by 25%. See where this is going? Those are diminishing returns.

Now, this doesn’t mean you shouldn’t grab as much RR as you can carry and not break your build in other ways (low defences, damage, stats, etc).

Not sure if you even need any formula. It’s not like you know how high current monster’s resists are, and you can’t do anything about it on the go. Even with well over 100 RR you can and WILL find enemies that are next to impossible to kill (see my Zaria example in the beginning).

2 Likes

Basically what’s @XandeRoot said.
Effectiveness of RR ranges from insane to good depending on monster and how much you already have so usually grab it unless you need some other stuff / don’t bother with damage too much.

1 Like

that would just be the/a variable you plug in, in essence their specific number doesn’t matter as such for the purpose
and i’m quite aware that monster res are different and can be influence by WYSIWYG items - likewise i know the higher the res a monster has the more valuable it becomes and the lower the less dmg bonus it provides

• my question is “how much”, and how to calculate it easily/simply instead of doing it over manually for each RR increase variant as i have/do with my current

It’s impossible just like you cannot easily calculate how much OA increase your damage.

1 Like

not the question at hand
i know RR is valuable, i know the basic RR stacking, i can calculate how much dmg a given RR will do and even what %dmg increase that would be, my point/question is if there is a way/formula to do it with “increasing” RR to existing RR without me having to go back to 0 each time

ie i can calculate how much -80RR will do, but if i then add/want to add another -25% for a total of 105RR i have to do my calculation back from start - what i’m looking for is a way/method/“formula” that can add that extra RR to the existing value i have - without me having to start calc over/back from scratch each time

Well the only thing you can do is on a particular monster:
(you need to know his resistance, no way around it)

current_damage_multiplier = (100% - monster_res + current_RR)
new_damage_multiplier = (100% - monster_res + new_RR)

so the relative damage gain is new_multi / old_multi

=(100% - monster_res + new_RR) / (100% - monster_res + current_RR)
= (100% - monster_res + [current_RR + RR_increase]) / (100% - monster_res + current_RR) =
= (100% - monster_res + current_RR) / (100% - monster_res + current_RR) + RR_increase / (100% - monster_res + current_RR)
= 1 + RR_increase / (100% - monster_res + current_RR)
^ you cannot simplify it further

so in your case it would be
1 + 25% / (100% - monster_res + current_RR) =
1+ 25% / (100% - monster_res + 80%)

and how much in increases your damage highly depends on monster_res

For example if a monster has 80% it will give you 1.25 multiplier (25% relative damage gain)
if it has 0% it will give you 1.14 multiplayer

Dislaimer
This is assuming no % Reduced Target’s Resistances is in place because it complicates the whole thing being multiplicative in a weird way with other types of RR although you can probably skip it in calculation and conclusions whether it’s worth to increase RR should be the same.

2 Likes

indeed, that’s how i’ve been working from, either using a base/fictive value or lifting from GT (we’re assuming GT values are correct and for the basic purpose that they aren’t spawning with res items)

alrighty appreciate it very much tqFan, that was exactly what i was looking for, or something
like i mentioned i suck at math, so i don’t totally get it, and didn’t immediately get the expected outcome/value as expected, but with some nr fudging/switcheroo it did arrive at values i recognized, so i appreciate it a lot, as it makes it simpler to “estimate” the perceived %dmg value gain of RR on top of each other

I’m not exactly sure what you get from calculating this. There’s always a ceiling for amount of RR you can have. You can have Thermite Mines at rank 18 maximum for example, and that’s it, can’t get more, so if you encounter an enemy resistance of which exceeds by 100, you’re out of luck.

And it’s not like you gonna respec from RR skills back and forth for every enemy encounter to be “100% effective”. Unless I heavily misunderstand what you’re trying to achieve.

1 Like

To get damage increase, you need to calculate

dmg_multiplayer_new / dmg_multiplier_old

2 Likes

effective/“avg” dmg gain from stacking RR “beyond a certain point”

thermite mines goes to 26 tho

basically it’s about better understanding when/where single RR points become negligible, ex like spending points hardcapping things getting 1% per point spend - if ex you already had 150RR

say against a nemesis with specific high res or a celestial with fixed all res “more” RR has more value since RR = higher value the higher resist monster has. But if you are fighting less than 1% of enemies 1% of the time with high resist to your specific dmg type, is there overall better return somewhere else against that 99% of enemies than going ex 20/20 VoS instead of just 16/20

i think something is off on that calc, it doesn’t really fit with certain values - it’s only counting gains from 0 res (and it’s counting “straight”/1:1 value in dmg gain)

I think you misunderstand how to use the calculator.
If you’d like to calculate the gain from 20% more RR
you need to use the calculator 2 times
and then divide damage multipliers.

You don’t get the answer what’s the gain from going from 40 to 60 RR.
You calculate what’s the effect of 40 RR on your damage once
and then you calculate what’s the effect of 60 RR on your damage
and then you compare two values.

The value 1.25, 1.14 were a result of dividing two results of the calculator kind of.

1 Like

i get that, but it aint doing that

if monster has 50 res, you shred 100, you don’t deal 1.5 dmg, you deal 3xdmg
^no matter the value it’s only counting gains from beyond 0-negative X, and then it’s adding a value straight/1:1 to the numerical -resist value, not the actual dmg multiplier on would gain

and then you run the calc again and compare the damage multipliers

1 Like

what do you mean, there is no “running it again” in a single RR/dmg instance

this you need to do

1 Like

check my screenshot, that’s not what’s going on in this example

The damage multiplier is what assumed to be as follows:

• suppose a monster has no resistance and you have no RR

• then this is our base - 100% damage
  • now the calculator counts what percentage of this damage (or multiplier) we deal
    if we have RR or monster has resistance

1 Like

Now let’s say you want to calculate the effect of adding 100% RR to your character.

1. First we calculate with 50% monster resist and get 0.5 muliplier
  2. Then we calculate with 50% monster resist and 100% RR and we get 1.5 multiplier

We divide two multiplier and get 1.5 / 0.5 = 3 times more damage just as you wanted

1 Like