[English font] GD clear fonts + london gothic fonts OR normal clean fonts versions

@Darkstalix try options-> video -> UI scale. Fonts adjustment on screen resolutions are automatic based on your resolution (FNT fonts are BMP bit-map fonts)

Sorry but most ui assets look blurry to me even on scale+1 :confused: anw its cool bro i wont use it till i get a bigger screen ;p ty tho

First off, great work with all those font replacements. Some of them look really great, thanks.

But - is there anyone who can explain me how to get them working in another language? German in my case? Just read the whole thread end tried to get an answer on google, but i didn’t succeed. OP said, he removed all other languages from the files, just kept english. So it couldn’t be so hard to get the other languages in again, would it?

Also would love to do it myself, but got no clue how to do it

I wasn’t sure if I had ever properly thanked you for such an awesome project. I downloaded one of the fonts a long time ago and it has made my life in Grim Dawn so much better.

I am using “VanilaExtract combattext+criticalhit+Felina Gothic monster level+hp+ Anko font version9.5” according to the file name.

This has made it so much easier for me to read things clearly and without having to try to interpret the odd font choices in the main game. I don’t have terrible vision but I don’t have perfect vision either.

What I do have is Strabismus Amblyopia. This is a misalignment of the eyes, usually esotropia (eye turn in) or exotropia (eye turn out). When the eyes have trouble coordinating with each other and are not pointing in the same place at the same time, the brain gets confused and cannot put the images together. To avoid double vision, the brain will ignore information from one of the eyes. I do have corrective lenses that have prisms in both sides to try to trick the brain into combining the images but it doesn’t work 100% of the time. With your amazing font changes I don’t ever have any problems reading things in Grim Dawn.

From the bottom of my heart I thank you so much. It is similar to the difference between driving while raining and trying to read road signs and driving on a clear, sunny day and reading those same road signs without any trouble at all.

3 Likes

@Orpington2019 WOWSER! your posting made me cry, literally. I am the font modder stargater *using different account…I am glad I made a huge difference in your GD gameplay.
I just had my laser cataract surgery on both of my eyes in Dec 2020. I am still recovering and had to go for 2nd laser eye scar tissue removal on Friday Feb 26 2021.
The new fonts styles are helping me as well. I went over 2000 font types to please my own eyes , didnt know i helped someone else so much.
After the surgery : I didnt have any more “eye issues” not having able to read GD fonts clearly, it’s a bonus for me now with the custom fonts.

4 Likes

Just an FYI for ya “stargater”…

I finally got around to making such a utility, here…

[Tool] Fonts Switcher

@powbam thanks , i noticed that last week when you uploaded it, Looks neat.

1 Like

Hi there, when you have a chance may you poste a screenshot of the settings used for “nevisshadow-lg_spaced.fnt” as I’m trying to change the size of the Monster/Character name at the top of the screen. I have one setting as follows:

As you can see, it is size 80 but when built and added, the font style and it’s outline width changes but the size does not, please may you help me? Thanks

@iSAUSAGE_UK not sure, i had the same setting, try a different OTF file. You need a scalable font, not a fixed type font.

Well, i love the idea of this simple mod, and sadly it did not work to my liking, probably due to my resolution and DPI settings. When i copied my backup of the original fonts.arc file back in, trying to revert to default, nothing happened. Really would prefer not to have another go-round of “verify game files” as this means i’ll have to get back to work replacing many other files which i’ve modified, so i’m hoping there is a simple fix which i’ve overlooked. Any guidance is appreciated. Just to be clear, i’m hoping to revert the fonts.arc file back to it’s original default setting, as it was working just fine.

@Gargoyle Can’t help you much. This is just replacement of fonts.arc file. If you have change other areas by modding yourself, that might be the cause.

Just so everyone here knows, if you extract fonts.arc, you can place it in the settings folder in the main game folder, just like how you install rainbow filter. So it would look like:
…\Grim Dawn\settings\fonts\

And under that all unpacked font files would go
This makes the mod last through updates, and makes the install and uninstall much easier.

1 Like

Hi, everyone!

How could I change the fontStyle when not using English?
Just started playing but I can’t read the game texts :\

Can I just get a straight swap of everything to Arial bold? I’m legally blind and I need a simple, easy to read font. Thanks.

I have installed the Fonts_arc (normal [KotoriRose] version3 because it was the closest to what I wanted. However, what is up with the spacing?

Is there a way to fix this that I might be able to do? I really wanted this, just a nice, clean Sans Serif font. Don’t need all the other fancies since I’m half blind LOL. Thanks for all the work you do on this stargater!

@Rhaevyn try the UI scaling on options?

Scaling doesn’t fix font spacing. I already have my UI smaller than normal because that seemed to lessen the serif font a bit. That spacing is like way back in the 80s when typesetting would space out words like that when they would right justify copy, like in newspapers.

No, it’s not the UI scale. It’s the font. Trust me.

After spending a day figuring this out, I’d like to add my personal one that ive been developing.

Apparently, new users can only embed one image per post and two links in a post… :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

Cool stuff! I like it :sunglasses:

1 Like

Couple more pictures.
And also just to vent; :joy: (ps, love you devs) my god the way this game handles fonts is the most convoluted and uneededly shifting thing ive ever moded, and I did a lot of Skyrim and Minecraft stuff. They hard coded in a database file all the font sizes, so in their tool you have to manually input those sizes so the game uses them. So if a size is too small, the game will bitmap it to a larger size (this is why some of the images early in this thread look like the font had spent 3 years in nam). However if you set a font too big, while looking sharp and clean, it effects its shadow and outline cuasing charactors to shift too close together. No idea why they didnt just use fonts directly like they are designed to be used. :rofl:

PS. This was designed for a 4K gaming experiances im not sure how it looks at lower resolutions.