Epic Games Takes on Steam

The game is infected with Denuvo so it was never really gonna be a purchase here anyway.

just wondering now if Crate will pull a Metro and remove Grim Dawn from Steam and GOG , making the expansion an exclusive to the Epic store? :eek:

they better inform us now in advance:p

If they do, I quit. But if they choose to give us our steam/gog copies for free, to the Epic store I mean, I’d not quit.

Use your common. With 95% of sales coming from Steam it would be crazy to make the expansion exclusive to Epic. :rolleyes: They’d have to do the whole lot as exclusives to make it work.

But you know, its hard to reject money, especially if the deal value is worth a couple more luxury yachts which we know Crate is very much fond of.:undecided:

'Nuff said. :wink:

Glad that I didn’t missed this announcement regarding Metro Exodus. So yesterday I pre-ordered Metro Exodus on steam before it was being pulled.

Lol. And here I am wishing they would do it (not the free part). Just for shits and giggles.

Lol, they aren’t that dumb.

Oh lordy, Phoenix Point’s now got a 1 year exclusivity deal with the Epic store and /r/PhoenixPoint/ (on reddit) is shitting itself with righteous stupidity and wank over how evil it is and that “ITS A SCAM!!11!”.

The Drama is almost as good as Star Citizen and warms the cockles of my black heart with all that reactionary stupidity.

yeah I was in PP’s discord and got the message there as well as via e-mail. It’s sad that as a backer I have to wait a year before getting a gog/steam key and play the game. While Epic user, who don’t care or even heard about the game get it right away.

competitive open market my ass.

Together with all the crap that the AAA market in general pulls I have actually started pirating games more often again as well. Something I haven’t done for years anymore. Its not that I don’t want to buy the game. Just release the product on GoG/Steam/Epic and let us decide where we want to buy it.

So what is the latest game to sell out to Epic for money?

I’d just like to remind everyone that when you “stick it to the Man” with your own skewed excuse for pirating, you’re really just giving the middle finger to every developer that was involved, people that probably poured in tens of thousands of hours of their lives into it and probably had 0 say in these kinds business decisions.

Don’t agree with how a business conducts itself? Don’t buy their products then. Nobody is forcing you to play their games.

Epic is trying to upset the market by giving devs a way better cut of the profits. From a Dev perspective, why would they not want another 26% revenue? Of course there is the risk of the Epic store tanking cause it’s not going to get the user numbers necessary to justify the move, but they are certainly trying to disrupt Steam’s market share. (Before somebody tries to read too much into this, no, this isn’t some hint that we’re moving to the Epic store in the future)

From a consumer perspective, I’d want everything in one place. Every new storefront is another account I have to maintain, remember and keep secured.

That said, offering Steam keys during a funding campaign and then backing off from that promise to go exclusive on another store front for a year is a bit of an insensitive move.

I’d just like to remind everyone that pirating is not stealing since there is no loss or theft per se. And if someone wasn’t going to buy your product then it is lost revenue either way regardless of whether they simply boycott it or choose piracy. So personally I see it as less of giving someone the middle finger and instead as giving the developers/publishers less of an incentive to continue the product/service.

Of course it’s theft and companies lose revenue because of it. You’re using something made by someone else that you haven’t paid for. Making a decision not to buy their product is different since you’re not using that product.

I hope your post is not an indication that you’re using a pirated copy of GD. If you are then I suggest you get a legit one or don’t return to the forum.

I am not here to condone or condemn piracy nor admitting to it. If discussing it was/is against the rules then apologies. But I must disagree with your view on it.

Yet that is what your post sounded like. To me at least. I’m pretty intolerant of the practice so if that wasn’t what you were implying then my apologies.

Discussion of piracy is not allowed on the forum.

“Do not discuss drugs or criminal activities prohibited by law in the United States.”

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1

http://www.aaronkellylaw.com/list-of-piracy-laws-in-the-united-states/

the lost revenue due to piracy is grossly inflated, as not every pirated copy would have turned into a sale, I grant you that. That is not the same as piracy not reducing revenue at all though, some people would otherwise have bought the game, maybe on the Epic store, maybe at a later point on Steam, which they now no longer will.

If you still buy it on Steam once it gets released there, I’d agree that no harm was done, but to me the chance of that happening is not all that high…

My post in relation to Piracy was more meant as a comment on how things are changing the last few years. Especially in regards to the AAA part of the industry. In the past Piracy was rampant and people said, one of them being Gabe Newell, that piracy was due to poor services offered. Which appears to be the case. The past years piracy has gone down due to better availability and pricing across the board.

Everything that is going on is counter productive to that. The quality of services is dwindling. Both for the customer as well as the developers. It isn’t just about Epic and their horribly approach in regards to exclusivity deals. At least they’re still open to all sorts of games from many different developers. Which in the future, after this exclusive bullshit finally dies down, might start to work again in regards to a competitive open market. From which the customers will benefit. However that is long term and most people won’t get there due to the bad taste Epic is creating right now. It’s like a game that leaves a bad taste. Would you come back in the future to see its “road map” releases? You probably won’t. That sort of anti-consumer practices belong on mobile and console market…not the PC.

In regards to a competitive open market. I’m also peeved with Publisher only platforms. Such as Origin, Battle.net, Bethesda etc. Platforms that only release publisher specific games and nothing else. A closed secure platform that allows them to charge whatever artificially inflated prices they want. After all there is no competition where their products are sold. That is detrimental to the market in general. Even worse than Epic’s current influence is. Just look at all the bullshit those publishers get away with, because they run a closed environment. In that case I rather see a new general game store appear like GoG, Itch.io and Steam. However they do need to be secure and offer proper support for both customer and developer. Epic is not there (yet). They’re not secure enough, nor are they trustworthy enough and instead of providing quality services to attract customers and developers…they instead try to buy them. Ever had someone in your social group that tried to buy your friendship? Remember how that ended up? We ended beating that guy up and threw him out.

Enough. Discussion of piracy is not allowed on the forum. Any further mention of piracy and posts will be deleted or this thread closed.