Epic Games Takes on Steam

Personally I’d say it’s more important, as unless a game is only available on Epic (which usually annoys gamers), and same prices on all stores, then customers will usually buy from the most convienent place that provides the additional services on top of just selling games that the customer wants. Which at present isn’t Epic.

Yes I’ve joined the Epic store, only because they give away some games I fancy trying for free (subnautica in VR), there’s nothing else that Epic offers that would get me to use it otherwise. :wink:

Grim Dawn free on Epic store, when? . I want to all erase all of my precious memories and start a brand new journey :wink:

Enjoying Subnautica so much right now. Thanks Epic! :cool: Looking forward to more free games cause I am not paying a single cent:p

just delete your save dir :wink:

Well that’s actually good news for us, if they don’t comply they can get a rather large fine that will effectively lower our taxes :cool:

Epic’s policy for developers is nice but I hate (temporary) title exclusivity (Ashen) :frowning:
And splitting up your gaming library across 10 different platforms isn’t really a thing I want to do as a user.

Better sort out their security problems first. Fortnite being hacked and accounts stolen.

makes you wonder why people don’t sign up for 2FA…

True 10chars

This company (Epic) is just full of fools.

They offer a free Subnautica game, so I install the client and then the game. After 100% download, it fails to install due to insufficient disk space. I made the space and now this POS is redownloading the whole thing.

How hard would it be to confirm there is sufficient disk space before download starts? Have these clowns even checked out Steam before they try to imitate it?

It blows my mind. I get emails from them daily that somebody has been trying to hack my account since a long time (I played Fortnite with my kid once). I would never enter any personal/payment information with them. They obviously have no clue what they are doing.

I actually just filled out Epics ‘Contact Form’ linking this thread and recommending they forward it on to whoever is in charge so they can see what people think and (hopefully) do something about it. I’d really like to see them do well and bring some real competition to Steam but it appears there is so much they need to work on.

I’ve been paying more attention to what Discord is doing as a result of all this and it looks to me like they have a ton more goodwill in general than Epic and it seems they are pretty good people all around. Fairly inspiring video here…

//youtu.be/hX9MOVIMYkg

Even if Epic fails with their store I guess the one good thing to come out of it is that Discord adopted Epic’s one good idea (so far) of a fairer markup for game devs.

More news on the “Epic” front…

Ubisoft goes Steam-less, embraces Epic Games Store for The Division 2

The Epic Games Store’s relatively new effort to take on Valve’s Steam juggernaut received a major shot in the arm today. That’s because Ubisoft has announced that the PC version of The Division 2 will not be sold on Steam and will instead be available only through the Epic Games Store and Ubisoft’s own UPlay service.

Steam has other news…
Steam Bug Prevented Wandersong from Being Considered ‘Real’

Wandersong is a charming side-scrolling rhythm adventure game and one of the big indie games of 2018. Unfortunately, due to a strange bug involving Steam’s confidence metric system, the game was considered ‘fake’ for four months.

But Ubisoft games require you to make a uplay account no matter where you buy it. And you have to install and run uplay in the background when playing through steam. Which I find stupid and annoying, I haven’t bought one of their games in a couple of years because of it. Also they don’t really make good games anymore.

Publisher stores are not a good thing in my opinion, uplay is a good example but also EA’s origin, they only sell their own games. I don’t want to run an account for every single publisher, steam wins for me largely because of that.

1 Like

and now they have their own refund policy matching Steam’s.:stuck_out_tongue:

Indeed.

Epic Games Store now has a refund policy matching Steam’s

The Epic Games Store has updated its refund policy to one matching the terms of the Steam marketplace, providing for unconditional refunds of games within two weeks of purchase and less than two hours played.

The news came this morning on Twitter from Sergey Galyonkin, Epic’s director of publishing strategy. For pre-ordered games, the return window is until 14 days after the game’s launch date. Both the two-week timeframe and two-hour trial period are features of Valve’s return policy, which it implemented in June 2015.

They also had this to say…

Further down the Twitter thread in which he announced this, Galyonkin said that the Epic Games store will one day add user reviews. However, developers will have to opt-in to having reviews of their products on the storefront. “Plus we want to have a solution against review-bombing,” he added.

Interesting that they are going to make it a dev opt-in tho? Trying to understand the reasoning behind that. I get that they are trying to lead the charge to fairer terms for devs but I think they should let a game stand (or fall) on its own by what the buyers think and that information should be available for all to see on the platform. Haven’t seen any mention yet of plans for game forums like Steams tho which imo is kinda important.

Or their own workshop, which is a great feature, unless I missed that?

Well they do have an “Unreal” section/store thing in the app where people can load up custom assets and all that. It seems like more of a marketplace for selling those assets tho. So they actually have a workshop of sorts in place already. Guess we’ll see how they handle that for moddable games.

Pattern of Complaints Issued for Epic Games

BBB is warning consumers about Epic Games of Cary, NC, which has 279 BBB complaints on file in the past three years with 271 of those complaints filed in the last year alone. Of the 279 total complaints, 247 of those have gone unanswered. Two of the complaints filed were from Alabama residents who made purchases in the game that were deleted and not refunded. Efforts to contact the company through BBB’s complaint process were unsuccessful.

BBB has attempted to contact Epic Games on numerous occasions, but the company has failed to respond.

That’s slightly worrying. On the other hand, Steam/Valve isn’t fairing very well with the BBB either…
Valve Corporation - BBB Profile

And wow, this one here is a weird story. Make of it what you will.
Unity, Improbable and Epic Games are squabbling in public

We’ll have to see how far the 18% gets them…

Personally - I don’t see Epic Games becoming a huge threat against Steam. This topic always brings me back to the numerous new MMOs that came out with the label “WoW killer” only finding themselves becoming a F2P game, and the only real WoW killer is itself. (Which seems to be its time.)

I think Steam is in the same field as this example. They have become a powerful company with millions investing their time and money into the company. And as I haven’t read anywhere stating you could move your Steam games/saves to Epic Games’s platform - it’ll be hard to convince a lot of players to move over. Unless I’m wrong here.

Possibly. The strongest strike against them is as you say tho, the matter of so many people having invested in Steam’s platform. That’s a pretty big hurdle on its own.

Still, GOG managed to carve itself out a niche in spite of it. Just a niche but a niche nonetheless. And it even looks like Discord has found a way as well.

I don’t know how Epic will fare but they do have the means to force their way in and they’ve been shaking things up a whole lot. I’d say we’ll know much better how the tide is going to go for them around this time next year. It’s still early days but I’m definitely interested enough to keep an eye on it and follow the drama as it plays out.