Exalted Champion surprise

As the title, just got my Exalted Champion Achievement on Steam and was really surprised by only 1% of people even have this. So do a lot of you all just play Crucible and Shattered Realms? Even when I play other games, I always enjoy seeing the world developers created for us and enjoy roaming the wilds of it, finding its secrets, and, of course, getting that cool loot. I know the last can be done quicker in Crucible and SR, but miss out on the other 2 ways I enjoy to play. Just was really surprised by only 1% with that achievement, that’s all.

Just to make this clear, I am not trying to bash the way others play the game, okay? Just really thought it wouldn’t be that low of a percentage for a reputation achievement. So, in closing, what are some of your all achievements that you’ve received and thought the % would be higher?

Think you have to look at the perspective overall. Only 23% complete the base game - and that’s on Normal difficulty. The figure drops to 9.3% in Normal of people who’ve completed AoM and just 9% and 4.4% respectively who’ve completed the base game and AoM in Elite difficulty. People completing FG content on Normal is just 4.8% and just 2.4% on Elite.

I don’t play Crucible or SR, just the main campaign, but I do spend most of my play time in Normal because I’m always making new builds. I’ve yet to get that achievement, though I have the one getting Revered with 9 factions.

4 Likes

I’m similar. I have trouble even finishing the game because I’m constantly thinking of new builds, reading forums, theorycrafting, restarting characters in Crucible/on Ultimate etc.

2 Likes

That’s cool! May start try that once I feel like my understanding of the game is better. At this time, enjoying my main toon and a few alts (which has always been how I play MMO’s and games like this). Would have never thought that it dropped off that drastically.

i think that’s the weakness of old school system based hack/slash loot arpg. when you level up, most of the time you can only put lvl up points into strengthening your stat numbers instead of getting new exciting skills. and players usually have to grind similarly designed enemies in familiar areas for a while until they get to the specific level tiers that allow them to access new engaging skills/gears/areas/challenges.

if most people are told that when they gain access to more difficulties they will have to repeat the same content again to get stronger skills/items/challenges, i think most people won’t be interested.

merit stones only help serious players access elite/ultimate sooner. beginners and casuals most likely need to read a lot of game mechanics, guides, and builds in the gd forums before they even able to tackle elite and ultimate (and that doesn’t even mention they need to plan their build carefully, while already having the items necessary for leveling their builds through elite and ult without much ragequit).

maybe we should try comparing how many % of people complete main story in normal and continuing to higher difficulties in diablo 2, 3, titan quest, torchlight, etc to have clearer pictures here.

This isnt unique to Grim Dawn. Look at popular console games like Dark Souls or Bloodborne and check out how low the % is for some of the very basic achievements.

Will have to trust you @ Barf_Mog. I, personally, don’t play console. Bought an X-box 1 for NBA Live 18, played it a lot for about 2 months, now barely touch it. As for this topic, had no idea. Guess my wife is being real when she calls me a completionist, or at least try my best to be.

Well, you could be firing up the Xbox again because GD is coming to it. The port to Xbox is being worked on atm.

Yeah, only 57% have made it past level 10, seems like it’s tough for new players to stick to it I guess.

Hehe, as much as my brother would love that, I’ll pass.

maybe the console players are too used to diablo 3 console’s easy handhelded management of stats and skills. gd is old school. they have to read the game mechanics in and out of game before their build gone bonkers with stats all over the place.

the spirit guide’s respec option is very helpful though. gd newbies and pros will always have the need to respec.

2 Likes

I started of hanging out for the elusive Xbox port , gave in and bought a pc purely for grim dawn , got about 280hrs now , complexed game and expansions on normal a couple times with my own builds , except the heretic tomb , havnt nailed that mofo yet lol , currently following a build guide to try and learn a bit more , don’t find this as much fun as self discovery but find it necessary to try and understand this game a bit better . Think il still get the Xbox version and sell the pc when it gets released , I’ve got it hooked up to tv in lounge and cables running across the floor , the missus loves it lol

Well there’s always the game guide

https://www.grimdawn.com/guide/

and Malawiglenn’s guide if you need more info

1 Like

The only reason i mentioned console games is due to the popularity of those titles to kind of put things into perspective. I know PC isnt always comparable in terms of demographics but I think the sales numbers for those titles compared to achievements says quite a bit.

Steam statistics are very inaccurate for a variety of reasons.
For example, I have played over 200 hours of Dark Souls on Steam, back when it was still working with some 3rd party microsoft service without any achievements. Only about 2 years afterwards the microsoft service was terminated and it became a regular steam title with achievements. Consequently I have 0 achievements in Dark Souls, despite having actually completeld all of them.
So everyone who has been playing DS before that change also has 0 achievements.

Further there is an option to play offline that will also disable achievements.

That being said, regardless of any statistic, nobody but hardcore gamers would be addicted enough to play the same thing over and over again with the only difference being higher numbers on the screen.

2 Likes

Im going for that one now since it’s the only achievment left on the story tab for me to get. Almost done with all the others too. don’t even want to imagine my levels of no lifery right now lol