Excavation or "Why even bother"

I have some ruins a bit farther away from my settlement and one of them is at 99% with 10/10 and priorized for the last 20 years or so. I startet to watch my labourers and well, they all start in the middle of my settlement running towards the ruin. About half way they decide its more fun to switch and in stead carry stored items to the next storage facility. So not one of them ever makes it out to that ruin.

I would really like to see labourers start AND finish a task instead of switching in between as it suits their fancy. Or it would be nice to, at least in some cases, assign someone directly to this task. Or maybe just don’t use labourers for the excavation but really builders. My builder pool is at 60 and most of the time only 10 or so are needed. But instead the game sends labourers to the ruin although the ruin interface shows the builder symbol.

1 Like

Try building a road out towards it, that could help

1 Like

If the labors are turning back when they approach the excavation site, then there is a high likelihood that there are bandits/raiders at the site and thus when the labors enter their zone of influence, they quickly turn around and return to the town. You might want to try sending out soldiers to the site to potentially clear it of raiders to allow for the final percentage to be completed.

4 Likes

Road didnt help because they mostly switched inside the city area from this task to “carry stored item” and there are no bandits, I play without hostile parties.

I’ve reduced the min/max distribution between my storage buildings somewhat and after like 5 years one dude out of 300 “free” labourers finally made it out there to finish the last 1%. Still, I’d like to see a better AI when it comes to finishing assigned tasks.

I’d also like to have 1-2 workers at the crypt by now to carry the dead. With my peeps carrying around so much goods sometimes it takes 10 guys to pick up the body because they drop it like 2 seconds later to do something else.

Are you running too low on labourers? Another thread had the same problem, and this was the solution

1 Like

Hard to say. I have 1300 pop and 300 labourers that take care of carrying stuff between the warehouses/stockyards and root cellars apart from 11 wagon shops with 2/2 drivers. And I don’t wanna grow the city anymore because the food/inhabitant numbers are good and I already drown in gold.

I might have to reconfigure my industry to lessen the strain on the logistic department.

Sorry you are having a bad time.

I had similar issues. Fixed it, 1600 pop:

• a chain of temporary housing every maybe 100 squares with a well leading to the site
  • ratio of at least 1:100 wagons : population so transportation is more efficient. They changed the goods the wagon carries in patch 9.2 so they transport way more. It takes a year after building before impact is noticeable
  • stone roads to site
  • put a hunter and forager close to the execravation so the temp houses have food
  • I produce tools, can’t proof it helps but I believe :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Have fun

What I have found is that over using the min quantity on resources will start to eat up all laborer time. They work, get to the min vale, all is good until someone takes one, then a laborer is tasked again to fulfill the min, again and again.

Instead now I try and passively influence where things go by setting just the maximum a storehouse, etc. will accept and making sure only those storage locations that need the resource have it turned on. This way laborers are only tasked with moving excess goods somewhere else. It does mean making sure you generate enough excess to keep things flowing.

@Dadinator Smart!
Will try too.

What’s your opinion concerning wagon ratio?

I tend to spam wagons until I see one being idle. In 0.9.2 they handle more tasks according to the patch notes but I haven’t spent the time to follow one long enough to see what else it will do (besides temporary shelters and retrieving mining output).