Expanding Horizons: A City-Building Game with Thrilling Challenges and Limitless Potential

The distinction of this city-building game from others lies in the presence of enemies, allowing you to nurture your village while contending with these threats. It may induce a slight sense of stress, but ultimately contributes to the enjoyment of the game. While a peaceful gameplay option is viable, losing interest becomes inevitable, preventing further progress. This could be attributed to a lack of stimulation.

To enhance the challenge, additional selected threats like epidemics and food scarcity are integrated into the game, accompanied by corresponding systems to address them. However, if these aspects were too easily manageable, the game would lose its appeal. Introducing events such as famines would add a layer of realism. Furthermore, incorporating a plague-like menace that cannot be resolved solely through hospitals would heighten the sense of realism, akin to the challenges faced in Frostpunk.

As the population grows, the number of threatening enemies also increases. Consequently, there are instances where a village’s wealth is attained through the efforts of a small number of individuals over an extended period. In such cases, it becomes necessary to prepare for more substantial threats. A prominent historical example is Viking raids, where external invasions were the primary cause of ruin for small villages. This external invasion could manifest as the lord’s army, with an additional faction within the army disguising themselves and plundering as if they were not associated. By incorporating these elements, a greater sense of realism can be achieved, enhancing immersion.

Humans instinctively strive to repel threatening enemies for survival and can act ruthlessly towards those weaker than themselves. This aspect adds depth to the peaceful nature of the game. That concludes my suggestions.

I believe that your final goal is set too low. Perhaps it will culminate at tier 5 or 6? Nevertheless, I sense that this game possesses greater potential for expansion. I can only express this sentiment due to my limited understanding of the complexities involved in programming.

How romantic it is to begin with a village, evolve into a city, and eventually establish a nation!

In my opinion, incorporating a format that simplifies performance evaluation, such as representing it with dots during an overview (similar to a game called WorldBox) or exploring alternative options like Stellaris, would be beneficial.

I guess you haven’t suffered one of these yet then. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

When this happened I had 3 hospitals, but no way was that enough beds to cope with that many patients.

And while I haven’t experienced it myself as I usually play Pacifist, hugh armies can turn up in the game demanding you pay them a sum in gold or they’ll attack your town with heavily armoured troops and battering rams.

And that double hit I had of smallpox and bubonic plague was on Pacifist setting on a Pioneer map btw so such events are not limited to playing non-Pacifist mode. Easiest setting in the game you can have.

2 Likes

Perhaps I have been unlucky, having played for a total of approximately 400 years. However, I have never witnessed a scenario where half of the villagers were wiped out by an epidemic. If such an event were to occur, I believe it would have added more depth to the game, albeit with a sense of frustration on my part.

I mention this external threat because the current army under the lord’s command seems to consist of fearless, expendable soldiers who lack any familial ties or a place to call home. Considering the numerous wars that have taken place in the past, during a time when the population was only a fraction of what it is now, I question the plausibility of a large-scale invasion being sustained.

Furthermore, I’ve noticed that all the units in the game are portrayed as male. Do they not have families? With a death toll of at least 100 individuals every 3-4 years, I wonder if this is representative of a normal society. It would be beneficial to provide a more detailed narrative surrounding these aspects.

Dismissing these deaths as mere casualties of a game feels too trivial and devoid of meaning.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.