Farthest Frontier Coming to Early Access August 9th!

Well, this is early access so it’s unlikely to be on other platforms until it’s ready for full release. Maybe by then Medierra and Epic will have got things sorted out. :rofl:

1 Like

Personally I won’t use EPIC even if it is free. The whole CCP ownership thing is just a total turnoff. They have their hands in enough pots already and valve has generally stood up for the general populace even in the face of large developers raking people for cash on garbage never to be finished games.

The only thing with GD is that I wish I had a non-steam version of it since my kids tend to play on my steam account so often now haha

So it will be able to scale with the # of CPU cores/threads you have? Or will there be a hard cap. I know in Cities skylines that game is so horribly threaded that I get garbage fps on my threadripper workstation here…
Would love a game that could actually produce nice FPS with a town built.

You can just set your Steam to offline mode and you can still play while your kids use your Steam account.

Or you can grab the full GD Definitive Edition that’s DRM free on GOG.com right now during their Summer Sale for half-price ($27.62)!

Oh shoot! I didn’t realize there was a DRM free version. I guess im gonna buy GD again LOL

Have you used both versions at the same time? I just wonder how it will work with the steam-cloud backup.

1 Like

Been on GOG since 2016 when it fully released. :laughing:

I use local saves and Steam and GOG share them quite happily.

And if you have an Xbox you can buy the game to play on that as well.

I don’t have any consoles, but I do use the cloud saves quite a bit since I have a variety of devices. Can I Just copy the files around between the two versions?

Sorry, but I don’t know. I never use cloud saving so don’t know whether they’re compatible or not.

That would require juggling but it can be done but you need to become very familiar with how it works. Both GOG and Steam use the same LOCAL saving location. GOG’s cloudsaving location is ALSO the same as the local saving location. However, and unfortunately, Steam’s cloudsaving location is separate from the local saving location.

Which introduces issues for someone that wants to hop between both. You can go into the Network tab in-game (Steam version) and you will find two buttons located there. One to delete cloudsaves. One to “download” cloudsaves (downloading places them in the localsaving location). Keep in mind that these buttons are ONLY visible while Steam-cloud is enabled.

What you ask is possible but it requires you to pay attention to what is what and to remember the things you have done (with your saves) when trying to switch saves back and forth.

It would require a lot to write-up a detailed how-to on exactly how to go about it but it involves the buttons mentioned, probably some deleting and copy pasta and triggering the game to reimport saves into the Steam-cloud etc.

I would add that it would be MUCH MUCH MUCH easier to simply move all your Steam cloudsaves to local saving instead and spare yourself the headache and work that would otherwise lie before you. It isn’t necessarily hard to do… it’s just hard to do if you’ve never done it before and don’t fully understand how it all works. Once you’ve done it a time or two, well, then it’s easy. It’s the getting the experience part that’s a pain.

That is fine, I am aware of how the saves work as I have used Grim Stash with the Steam Cloud save. IIRC there is just a setting in Grim dawn config files that sets the save folder, I could then in theory take the GOG version and point it to the steam cloud version.
Technically as long as I launch the game from Steam AFTER I play the GOG version; it will update the steam cloud save with the current files.
This is how I have done it with GrimStash in the past.

If you are talking about this…

…then I regret to inform you that it does nothing that I was able to divine the purpose of.

Anyway, tho… this all might be a bit too off-topic for this thread now.

Probably is.
But I will definitely pick up Farthest Frontier.
I partially feel bad for these guys & gals @ Crate because they have set a bar that is SO HIGH with Grim Dawn as honestly it is one of the best games ever made.
It is hard to reproduce such success

2 Likes

I have a feeling FF at the start of EA will be higher in quality and rich content than many ‘fully released’ games…

1 Like

Sometime this week I will load this on my GPU cluster workstation, can you verify if the game can address more than 2 GPUS and 2CPUS?

Well that didn’t turn out to be true.

I mean, we live in an age where huge corporations think it’s acceptable to release a buggy, unfinished game as a 1.0 full release. At least Crate are working on it before they do a 1.0

2 Likes

I agree there, this game is more polished than many other beta’s I have been in. However only working on “Monitor 1” (at least the last time I played) is a bit silly.