[Feedback] Mythical Leviathan could use some help

Now, my subjective opinion, because in the post I’ve been trying to be as objective as possible. (One biased person trying to be objective, lul)

So, I’ve always thought, that Leviathan is closer to staff, rather than to a mace, with these dragon (?) heads and color. And franky, the whole weapon is simply not unique in terms of it’s function. It’s your regular big stick with low AS and extra tankiness. It’s not bad, but there are a plenty of such weapons in the game. But there is one empty niche in itemisation - 2H Phys caster weapon. So, it would be at the very least interesting, if the weapon supported skills like Bone Harvest, Hagarrad rune or even TSS. Of course, this change is far too radical from it’s current state. And some players don’t want to get rid of this big stick for punching, but same could be said about the change of conduits in few recent patches.

You need to get a very well rolled one to compensate that +2 soldier bonus on Gutsmasher, believe me I tried, for any 2H Cadence user build +2 soldier skill bonus is too good to give up. It cost you 20-24 skill points.

1 Like

How does the weapon perform at endgame atm? I never tried timing it.

Necrotic Edge is like AQC in that it has slower animation? If so that sucks. The item mod would need to be pretty compelling to be worth it for physical damage. Significant %WD and/or IT to NE, would make more sense than the current mod.

The Granted Skill is cool and all, but it has the issue annihilation relic had in the past before it became %on attack; it competes with, and delays, cadence. Either give it better AoE, raise the values, or make it fast to cast. I didn’t like annihilation being changed to on attack, as I enjoyed casting the meteor myself, but the values were too insignificant that it had to be; I hope this doesn’t happen to this skill too.

Outclassed by Gutsmasher and others. 2H cadence is still in a bad state.

Just throwing it out there but outclassed doesn’t mean much if the weapon still gets reasonable times. What specific times does Leviathan get on Death Knight (as the weapon is clearly built for it compared to Gutsmasher and Witchblade).

Fair point, I’ll check it out when GI is ready.
The only problem - I’ve never seen Gutsmasher in Cadence builds. Only BA. And 2H BA is significantly faster and more stable.
Oh, and yet again - NE lowers the dps on 2H Cadence.

1 Like

Technically Gutsmasher is for Witchblades and Warders but Warlords also use it well enough, I have a build can do SR 75, the only thing the build lacks is consistent life steal because of Cadence, If I could improve the lifesteal it can go up to 85-90 I suppose. And there are lots of items that gives bonus for certain classes but some other class combos use them better. Like Sacred Harmony blades, they are for Saboteurs but I’m now testing them with a sorcerer and it looks much better in every way. That’s why this game is so good, the limits are not sharp, you can cross them with a bit of imagination and game knowledge. So now we have a 2H melee weapon for DK and I don’t see Leviathan DK builds around, also other classes don’t use it too.

True enough, I just jumped on Witchblade because of the +2 Soldier/Occultist, Chaos conversion and CoF but those combos would work well too.

It went through a revision a long time ago because now one used it then. It didn’t have the Vit->Physical conversion and supported Physical ABB back then if I remember right. I think there were 1 or 2 builds after it changed but yeah, it’s one of those weapons that faded away.

Off the top my head, this is the only Leviathan build I remember from v1.1.4.2. Might be a bit old/outdated now with some of the more recent feedback in this thread.

I used Gutsmasher in DK spam BA build. As for Leviathan - use it in battle mage Cadence, BA and FW builds.

It would had been better, if you’d mentioned that it’s cold FW and BA…

I thought that might work too but never tried.

I never liked ABB skill and don’t use other than lethal assault buff but bringing back that modifier could be usefull for other players. I guess the other option is that lowering it’s physical resistance and increasing it’s attack speed but I don’t think devs would approve the idea. My crazy idea is hat we do not have 2H pierce-cold weapon other than Nadaan and it supported by bleeding damage not cold. Making Leviathan pierce damage and adding it to vitaly to cold and phys to cold conversion would be very good.

I dont agree at all with Leviathan as a staff or to be used for spam casting. Ive personally always thought of it as Samehada. Id personally love to see increasing its ADCtH, either on the weapon itself or buffing the value on Necrotic Edge, or both!

I have a feeling something like this is what will happen - it’ll get it’s attack speed bumped up, Vit conversion might get removed and Leviathan Death Knight as a whole will get it’s damage and/or survivability adjusted after it gets tested properly. Doesn’t necessarily mean damage/survivability buffs or changes will go on Leviathan in particular, just that the build using it will get them “somewhere”.

tl;dr It’ll just get bumps in the places where it needs them. I’d be skeptical on it getting revamped a 3rd time or even as radically as some people in this thread want. If it does then great, but don’t set yourself up for disappointment.

That would be nice for Warder and Warlord Cadence builds but would be huge increase for DK I believe but if it’s attack speed won’t increase, adding some adcth to weapon also compensate it because the build can focus on AS on the gears or devotions instead of lifesteal.

1 Like

How exactly? I can’t follow your train of thought.

You’re right now that I thought about it. sorry my mistake, my mind went through to vitality builds that have too much lifesteal source.

1 Like

Right, so that being said, adding ADCtH in a good amount to the weapon itself, or buffing the ADCtH values already present for Necrotic Edge would be nice. What would be really nice would be both but thats greedy.

Ok, so i’ve tested 2H cadence on DK:

1. With Leviathan - https://www.grimtools.com/calc/RVvBAQvV
    7.15, 7.05, 6.40 - rather a sad expirience
  2. With Gutsmasher - https://www.grimtools.com/calc/eZPMJGJN
    6.50, 6.40 and I got bored. Feels slightly faster (like 10 seconds.) Yet, a bit squishier, although, I’ve lost 19% phys res.

So completely unprofilled weapon performs slightly better than dedicated one. Even with 24/16 Cadence.

4 Likes

Actually I made both cold and physical builds on the mentioned skills. :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.