Feedback on Mythical MAw of Despair

Hi, don’t know if someone else is trying to build a character around this item, but i wanted to share some reflections.

The item is clearly made for Battlemages and givest two nices bonuses to callidor tempest, so CT battlemage. Tried it in combination with Mythical codex of Agrivix and Mythical mark of anathema and works well enough, as far as BM goes. Tanky and with excellent AOE damage.

My perplexity concerns the bonus for War Cry: 2 seconds stun. If the item is thought for a CT build you want your enemies to swarm you as much as possible, expecially if you now apply to them damage output reduction and HP absorption from damage dealt. At the same time is nice to use War cry for extra tankiness and because is a nice skill, but this way, given the enormous range of the skill, you stun the whole screen and prevent a lot of mobs from swarming you as they are supposed to be.

Not only that, even 1 single point in break morale is useful to force some caster-type mobs (all the more frequent now in Malmouth) to come in melee range, only problem is now they don’t, because they are mostly stunned.

This ain’t one of those “the new bonus is not as OP as i wanted” things, it’s just that IMHO the current bonus to War Cry really doesn’t add to the whole item concept.

With MoD you don’t go for a ARR build, for a Panetti Build or for a Cadence build, you have other, better items for those options. You go for a CT build, hence i don’t unterstand why to introduce a bonus that is not only useless for that kind of build, but it’s actually counterproductive.

So i think the item would be far better not only with a different bonus, but even with no bonus to war cry at all.

Since we’re here i think that, considering that the main problem of CT builds is often the single target damage, it would be nice if instead of 2 seconds stun War cry bonus would be swithced to XX% aether (or fire) resistence reduction or -XX Defensive Ability or some other bonus that weakens the enemy defenses.

Curious to know what other players think.

The stun related to this item doesn’t make sense indeed - CT builds don’t need it, applies to aether melees as well (not everyone’s using Krieg’s set).
Same as the war cry transmuter.
Or the terrify bound to necrotic edge.

The described above variations of CC “bonuses” tight to an item or skills, are something that any melee/close combat char will avoid like a plague.

Dunno why developers came up with it. Nor what you expect to hear from players - 9 of 10 will confirm it’s bullshit, the exception is just a hipster in most of the cases.

CC is far too common on items that are most useful to tanky close-range or melee builds. Ever tried to make a build that kills via Chance when Hit / On Block procs? I could use my facedesk to break stuff for a karate exhibition.

On this specific issue - as soon as I saw the modifier I put Mythical Maw of Despair out of my mind.

It doesn’t need the “Stun” part, it does however need War Cry bonus
The bonus to War Cry makes sense as it’s a skill that lowers enemy damage

As for RR they could replace skill mod to make it so than War Cry applies the debuff

I personally love the stun but I only use it on a heavy AOE melee, not a caster.

Even for a melee, the problem IMO remains the same: you have a modifier that actually slows your clearing speed, preventing mobs from coming in your fighting range and forcing you to chase them individually. That’s the reason i’m lead not to use that skill against normal mobs.

I think that there would be a lot of different options that would allow to mantain some kind of bonus to war cry but with some usefulness, or at least some bouns that isn’t actually counterproductive

Use a mobility skill, charge in the center of a mob group, use WarCry, stun the screen, kill mobs around you, then charge to the next group. Stunned enemies don’t deal damage, so you might say longer clear speed is the cost of increased safety.