[feedback/suggestion] DB's direct strike mechanic results in a huge power gap between MC and (3+1) Cr

The following is a copy/pasta from a PM I sent @adoomgod:

In my testing, I’ve come to realize that of every single build I’ve ever piloted in buffed/bannered crucible, doom bolt benefits the most from crucible banners/buffs because of its direct strike mechanic.

i.e. the DPS boost you gain from buffs/banners is doubled upon landing a direct strike. And when you factor in the OA/crit boost, it becomes that much more potent.

I’ve recently made a vitality DB spammer capable of clearing 170 in ~6:15 - 6:45

Even though the spec performs this well in 3 + 1, its performance drops to 7:15 in 4 + 0, and hits 13minutes in naked.

To give you a frame of reference, I usually don’t suffer a loss in clear time in 4 + 0 vs 3 + 1 because of how used I am to playing naked crucible. In fact, sometimes I find that the restrictive AoE of the banner slows down my runs.

Though, admittedly, I had to forgo PoT3 for possession in naked crucible while making more defensive changes, which also added to the clear time.

So what I think would really help DB outside of crucible, is for its base damage be increased by 50%, and have direct strikes score maybe a bonus 20% damage instead of its current 100%.

What might also help out non-Crucible DB is to lower the %crit value of the skill, while increasing its base damage proportionately.

While this will result in an overall single target DPS loss, it will serve 3 things:

1. it will narrow the gap between buffed/bannered doom bolt and MC DB, thus allowing more players to enjoy its raw power
  2. Increase its AoE clear (arguably the weakest thing about DB)
  3. And because of its increased AoE, it’ll help minimize the current casting issues associated with DB
3 Likes