[Feedback] The Great Ranged Balance Discussion

Ludrigan is a squish-fest. I had a DW Vindicator, it was more of a ranged-caster hybrid though. But lemme tell ya this guy was made of paper thin GLASS. I was dying horribly on SR 50 (yes, you read that correctly), specifically to hard hitters like Maiden, Fabius, Jarren, etc. It was carried only by electrocute damage which I was trying to stack as much as possible: max Maelstrom, Storm Box, Storm Totem. My tactic was “hit and run”, basically.

Eventually, I tired of dying and respecced this guy into Light’s Defender with Stormrend. This plays much better.

Here’s a spec I made a week ago or so, just because I felt bad for Ludrigan (and in all actuality I kinda like this set): https://www.grimtools.com/calc/62aaXlg2

It’s AA focused. Can’t get Savagery to 24 - not with these items at least. Terrible phys res (my previous version had 9%, OMFG). Haven’t tested it - and probably won’t for a long time.

Maybe some phys res on the set would help a bit. More health as well - 12.5k for a Vindicator is kinda low if you ask me. Could also use pierce -> lightning conversion, cuz quite a bit of damage remains pierce.

My personal attempt was dropped at this state (didn’t even finish ult on this char. Might return though, didn’t have belt and no idea for other ring) though it is more of caster hybrid as it is really hard t get +savagery on DW pistols while you just drown in Storm totem bonuses…

Obviously ludrigan should be reworked to support pistol primal strike instead <.<

1 Like

Would be cool actually. Primal strike or savagery would work so much better of Ludrigan compared to Storm totem

I thought Stormrend should’ve been a pistol instead of an axe so I wouldn’t mind this at all.

Sorry, posted wrong build… and now I can not find the one I was looking for :confused:

I think it was this one… [1.1.5.2] Shauna Chalmers | Ranged Vindicator | Ludrigan's Savagery | Celestials | SR 85 | CR 170 @XandeRoot it does not use ludrigan jacket and it is not DW ranged, this is how it would be with full set: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/bVAXQW72 I might try it

would make ludrigan druids way too tanky imo, I have one such with 40% phys res already. Or that I can change some gears etc to ditch out more damage with same phys res… hmmm

Watcher of Erulan makes everything better, eh? No big surprise though… But honestly I didn’t consider it for Ludrigan since for me personally bonuses to Chilling Rounds screams “DUAL WIELD!!!”. So I kinda tried to maximize the shit out of it. But I’m definitely using Erulan on Paladin.

Well, if that’s the case, it is easily solved by putting phys res on WoR or Ranged Expertise skill mod =)

But then why should ludrigan set get phys res and not darkblaze? Because occult has blood of dreeg?

Well, yes? BoD alone gives more than that Ludrigan I posted has. My theorycrafted Darkblaze Pyro can have up to 28 phys res, which is pretty great for a class that is considered squishy by default.

edit: and Darkblaze has better damage potential.

I support this statement as well. When you can stack tons of flat damage, Savagery works great, but in many cases, Savagery needs too much equipment support, doesn’t give enough of the right bonuses, and the flat damage/defenses/sustain synergy just isn’t there.

I tried a Pierce Vindicator with the new Goredrinker’s Set, and getting the right resistances, enough secondary resistances, Savagery points while getting a decent RR, damage, and Attack Speed are always a massive pain, doubly so for 2H Savagery since you need even more Attack Speed to make up for the 2H penalty.

With my experience at least with making Vindicators, everything looks great on paper, but then I try it out and I feel like I can’t keep up with builds with half my paper stats. It’s a weird feeling, to say the least.

Wonder how Beronath Fury works with range weapons. I suppose it become worse version of ranged savagery?

Last I tried it’s basically filler level damage and you need primary damage skills instead. Will retry with small 1.1.9.1 buff

Unrelated, but I wish we had a chaos to physical source on pistols. Only option is 30% on the dreeg necklace or using an offhand. Will have to figure out what pistol would be best to request it on though!

The only ranged build I have used Beronath fury for default attacker is on infiltrator

Anyone tried ranged ABB btw? I remember playing around with Ugdenbog Bilelauncher and Mythical Cowl of the Venomblade but result wasn’t that special and no where as good as ranged PS

Old but still [1.1.5.0] Acid Ranged Dervish - 5:50 Crucible [g5][c+][vid]

I was more talking about range Primal strike or transmuted FW use rather then well, AA + ABB nuke. But man it look good. Too bad looks pretty much impossible without GD stashing

Haven’t tried it for similar reasons, I prefer spam over cooldown and that acid setup is as low as it goes. Cold doesn’t get any abb cooldown mods.

1 Like

I wish there was some other item with -0,7 sec cooldown reduction to ABB. Maybe medal or ring. Yeah, three items instead of one node, but together it would have become pseudo no cooldown mod xD

There is now MI medal for ABB. I have a pretty un polished build, with reasonable gear. BUT I am not as good as plasmo etc in CR so my testings would be pretty meaningless. Though my build is way tankier and suited for SR, not this 11k hp 2,4k DA stuff that the CR dudes are doing. For my tastes and purposes ranged 2H ABB is ok but not great.

Overall its kinda hard to compare builds and do balance in this game due to 1) fantazy items or not 2) insane good pilot or not. But that is another issue.

I thought it was ok last time i tried it. Doesn’t have raw power like Primal Strike but consistently good AoE is nice, it’s steadily been buffed over the updates as well compared to Plasmo’s 1.1.5 build so I imagine it’s probably fine nowadays on Dervish, maybe Witch Hunter too.

DW Ranged ABB is something I’ve wanted to make work as it’s the only version that uses both main-hand and off-hand for damage at the same time - 2-handed/S&B just use the main hand, DW melee just uses the off-hand. https://www.grimtools.com/calc/M2ggX1W2 is something I drew up for Acid ABB recently, albeit untested. I took quite a lot from dmt’s melee Dervish for it as it is really well made so have to give thanks to her :+1:.