Fixing commando build

Hi all,

Need some help with my commando build. I currently have a build that I believe lost some tanking due to the changes over the course of the game. I was closer to 3000 OA and DA with my resistances being a little higher on the elemental side.

I am wondering if anyone has ideas on improving this build? My resistances are as good as I can make them and that is the best gear that I have managed to find at this point.

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/O2GYP06Z

I would like to add more bulk, damage and resistances if possible.

Well physical Commando lacks any native RR from classes and also Markovian’s not the best set in the game.

I suggest to focus on armor/block side of the build more. So change devotions and dump Oleron in order to take Shieldmaiden, which is must on any shielded tank, take also Ulzaad for damage/armor and Targo the builder for lot’s of things. Then add some devotions that triggers on block, especially Anvil will be good damage dealer,Obelisk of Menhir is for defense. And I also think you should put shield component onto your shield, one with %block recovery. In general block recovery is very important for every tank build.

Your build too focused on survival but you’ve forgotten that it’s a shield build. https://www.grimtools.com/calc/lNkR3QdZ I changed only devotions, components and augments. Check it out, you’ll get some ideas atleast. I amplified your dps and improved shield stats. You lost a bit OA/DA but now you have much more DoT and procs.

13/12 war cry is a big no-no

and so is overcapping squad tacticts

zolhan on onehanded weapons do not work good either.

OA is crucial for dps on solider since you need assassins mark to proc

@bloodyskullz use this a starting point [1.1.1.2] Carrot Lord - Markovian Cadence + 3x Blitz Warlord, Gladiator (7:06) and SR 86 viable
I changed the relic and switched oathkeeper to demo and some skills here and there (and got panther devotion and other components and augments here and there)
https://www.grimtools.com/calc/eVLX3xMV
Not 3k OA, but you have massive OA shred on Blitz.

I would personally go with Oleron exclusive over Menhir though :slight_smile:

Thanks to all who replied.

@Nery what would be a better set than markovian? At the time when i completed the build Markovian was the optimal set of choice for a commando (I won’t say soldier as depending on the build like battlemage, krieg is a better fit).

@fordprefect I was running them at one point but I think this was before I reached 100. I may consider going back to using those more defensive constellations and maybe combining them with Oleron’s rage for the offensive side of the build?

@malawiglenn Why is war cry and squad tactics a big no no? Is it not worth it at higher levels or does the points to precious to pump into them? Also, Zolhan’s technique is only 1 point to be honest, the rest is coming from +1/2 from the items I am using. I do like the medal you chose though instead of the markovian. Lots of resistances that I need in that one. Also, doesn’t a solder build normally need high health to help tank?

Anything past 12/12 on squad tactics is 3 skill points for 1% AS/CS, which is an awful return. Same for 13/12 war cry, where you don’t gain any damage reduction, which is the main draw of war cry.

Zolhans does not work well with 1H weapons. This has been tested. It is a dps loss.

The commando I “made” for you, is based on one of the tankiest cadence warlords on the forum. Check out that “carrot lord” build first. And as you could see, I no problem getting resistances. Also you want to have +%max resistances. Having 84% fire res compared to 80% is like this, you take 16 dmg instead of 20. That is 25% reduction. AND with blast shield, your max res becomes 89%!

Also look at the armor rating, 3.8k. almost double to what you had.

Wow, I didn’t notice the armour rating on my variation of the build. I have to farm for that medal and weapon now and hopefully it drops in crucible.

What you said made sense, I always looked at the healh + resistances for the tanking but I overlooked everything else. You selected the anvil constellation but it wasn’t tied to anything, looking at the carrot warlord, I am going to guess it needs to be tied to the “presence of might” skill?

Sometimes the binding of devotions bugs out in GT. Just bind it to any permanent toggle skill.

Weapon is mandatory, you can even use the non mythical one for starters. That blueprint you can farm in ancient grove vendor actually (you know how to reset vendors right?)

Medal is good, but there are replacers. For starters, look out for anyone that gives decent resistances and also some +% max resistances.

No I didn’t know that was possible. Is there a guide for this? I am in the process of resetting my devotions at the moment.

I have written about it my basically all of my beginner guides, but it is a pretty common trick.