Future of the game

To add to what the others have already said, the devs also want a break from ARPG games for a while; most of them have been working in the genre for a decade at least now if not longer in some cases.

Plus Crate want to have a broad range of games in their portfolio and not be relying on just the one game to bring in the cash if something goes wrong or gets delayed further down the line. They are focusing on their other projects: Farthest Frontier, a town building game due to go into early access on Steam some time in 2022; a horror survival game and also an RTS game which they said recently would be set on Cairn in a pre-GD era.

1 Like

well to answer multiple replies at once:

i know nothing of this is planned, that’s why i am suggesting it.

seasons are realised in the game through a fan mod, i just wish for it to be in the game without mods.

i would like these additional contents not to make grim dawn like diablo and “as a service” but i think it would add more long term motivation to the game, even without further maintenance. the seasons could always have some (random) bonus & modifiers and be reset automatically, not like diablo where someone has to “make” them.

i am not freesh/new to the game, i have been playing this game since the steam release and i love it, that’s why i would like to see some small long-term motivation dlcs added, so i can play this game until i die lol.

The new FF might be a good game, i will look into it, but to be honest i won’t just buy it because i want to support the grim dawn developers. i prefer to support them via buying grim dawn dlcs.

i just hope that crate won’t abandon grim dawn development or at least pick it up again. i think there is more potential in this game.

You do realize that as a small company supporting one game is most DEFINITELY supporting future developments in other games by the company. There wont be more Grim Dawn without Crate.

They aren’t going to abandon the series, but will inevitably stop updating the game when they think it’s “done”.

Even now, they consider that adding any more masteries or items might overbloat the game as every new class means they have to start supporting it across the entire levelling process paired with Soldier, Arcanist, Occultist, Necromancer, Oathkeeper etc. and in different playstyles and damage types. They’ve literally joked that another new mastery means they’d have to start pushing current and new items to support 5-6 masteries at once before - it’s getting that big and difficult to manage.

Add in as well that there is only so much they can do with Grim Dawn as is right now without spending loads of time they can’t/won’t afford or without breaking the game. A new sequel opens up tons more doors - completely new story to tell expanding on what’s already been established in Grim Dawn’s lore, either a new engine or further developed version of the current engine opens up entirely new mechanical ARPG systems, perhaps even revamping smaller but important things for the better (like merging Pierce and Bleeding damage together).

Eventually in god knows how many years time there’ll be a Grim Dawn 2 and we’ll all look forward to it and probably play that for the next 5-10 years just like most here have done for Grim Dawn 1 since it kickstarted sometime around 2012.

5 Likes

I am pretty sure all of us would love to do this as well, but the devs and staff need a break from this game and want to develop a more diverse portfolio.

I think that part gets missed a lot whenever this discussion comes up. They are an indie studio. You have to understand they dont have the resources to tackle broadening their portfolio while simultaneously managing constant updates to Grim Dawn and the development of the other titles and projects Medea mentioned.

To be blunt I don’t really even like town builders… But I have NEVER seen any other developers pour so much time and effort into making such an awesome game, to include actually commenting and replying back and forth with members of this forum, in posts on this forum, regarding items people wanted to see, stats people wanted changed, balancing fixes people had opinions about, and even creating unique legendary items with real world lore and backstory inspired by members of the community, such as the Brawler’s Distinction and Leovinus’ Ring

The story behind Leovinus’ Ring: Here

Brawler’s Distinction was a Monster Infrequent introduced after @RektbyProtoss and @MikeFic_YT promoted and hosted community PvP tournaments. The devs actually had the tournament winners builds added as unique mini-bosses and built INTO THE GAME! This was rad as hell, and the Brawler’s Distinction drops from them. In my opinion, community driven content such as these PvP tournaments are the stuff that keeps this game alive in a multiplayer capacity.

Which brings me to my final point.

We’re all die-hard fans of this game. We’re probably all going to be back for GD2 when its day comes. In the meantime, I’ll buy anything Crate makes without batting an eye because of the care and dedication they exhibited with Grim Dawn. Ill even buy a town builder game, when I dont really like town builders. If it will help them get to Grim Dawn 2, you can count on me to do my part and throw them some cash! This will help Crate reach their goals and put them in a better position to support the fans the way we know they can and do, when the time is right for them.

I look forward to re-convening when that day comes, and hopefully you will be there too! For now, we still have Grim Dawn and its still fantastic.

Perhaps it’s time for another community run event…

6 Likes

Duh.

5 Likes

Che si possa aggiungere al gioco qualcosa ne sono sicuro e non sarebbe neanche male , ma da appassionato di diablo da anni quale sono , no veramente prendere idee da diablo 3 un flop gigantesco , no grazie. magari da diablo 2 quello si o Titan quest.

the nature of the game makes it kinda imposible to add even more classes,items are already novels at this point

i think zantai said something about grim dawn 2 would adress this so the bloat wouldnt be such an issue

Well, I wouldn’t necessarily say “impossible” - but every new mastery basically significantly increases the amount of work that needs to be done to integrate it in with everything else and provide synergy across all masteries and gear etc. GD is definitely at the point now that it would be quite time-consuming.

I have no idea how they would avoid this type of bloat in a sequel tho. I suppose they could make modifications to the engine that make it easier on the devs but it seems to me that the workload would still eventually increase with every new mastery added. Maybe if they radically change the way everything is done I suppose.

Yeah,saying impossible was a bit of an exageration,it ofc could be done

Some things that could be different to avoit bloat can be stuff like,fewer synergies,an item doesnt ‘‘need’’ to suport 10 different mastery combinations and dmg types,the game is FULL of useless epics that are far weaker than Mi’s that are much easier to farm

Or instead of having ultimate ranks come from an unending sea of items with endless text,have a completly different way to obtain extra ranks,like some kind of enchanting that could also serve as a cool form of progression

I would mention however that i dont have a problem with how it is now,i like that the game is this way with a lot of loot and walls of texts,but i realise its an unfeasible design to have in a game where i would also like more major updates over time,being a small company isnt gonna help either

Really powbam? It’s simple. Decide on how many masteries the game will have at the start and stick to that; don’t add any more. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Plus we know Zan has said if they do make a GD2 they’ll probably cut down on the number of different damage types the game has so that will help with the bloat problem a bit too.

Easier said than done. Sure they can plan out ahead of time but things simply change over time.

Sure. It would help a little but it’s still going to increase workload every mastery added. Synergy across masteries, the gear, devotions (or similar systems), having to test and balance, create the lore, art, animations and so on. There is no way to avoid how much every new mastery tacks on… You can only try to optimize your tools and engine to make the tasks simpler to perform.

1 Like

Having less masteries would defeat the entire point,the point of doing it in a more efficient way is so they can add more masteries without it being problematic,new expansions with new classes is some of the most exiting parts in these games

Not saying having less, simply plan for an exact number and stick to it whether that be 5, 7, 10 or more. Plan expansions as well if you want to add some of them in those like they did with AoM and FG.

I think it’ll be a lot of little things that add up to make bloat less intensive personally. Like medea said - cutting down or merging damage types like Pierce + Bleeding tying the knot, maybe merge Fire, Cold and Lightning into Elemental and make it less common than in GD1 to account for it being 1 damage type instead of 4. Or remove Elemental damage but keep Elemental resistance and resistance reduction so it applies to Fire, Cold and Lightning equally and as the only source of increasing these to the player (so no individual Fire or Cold resistance on gear or Fire RR in skills). I feel something will happen here.

I think allowing conversion to effect standard +% damage bonuses on equipment, skills and buffs could be looked at. In theory, it should help with the amount of equipment in the loot pool as suddenly, we don’t need a specific Legendary set and tons of supporting items across the levelling process for every last damage type in a skill and maybe more.

E.g. we wouldn’t need Light’s Defender for Lightning Storm Totem and Valguur’s Hunger for Vitality as is the current case. Just throw on Light’s Defender and when you take Corrupted Storm Totem or equipment items that convert all of your Lightning damage to Vitality globally, your equipment % damage bonuses count as Vitality instead for your Totems and other sources for global conversion. This example stands out especially to me as the community was asking for Vitality Storm Totem support in vanilla and it didn’t come around until the first major expansion.

That said though, they can’t really prepare for anything and everything, especially with new mechanics they think up mid-development and in response to the community as was the case with Skill Modifiers, Retaliation added to Attack, Movement Runes etc… But perhaps they could take steps early on to try and minimise the rate that bloat from adding multiple skills and items brings later. They’ve learnt a lot from the 10 or so years they’ve worked on GD1 after all :smile:.

The bloat in a potential GD2 would be significantly reduced by having fewer damage types. Crate has really tried hard to make every damage type used by a large number of skills, and that contributes to complexity of the game.

Out of my head, here are some revisions to damage types that could be made:

• Internal Trauma removed

• Physical and Pierce merged

• Acid removed

• Vitality, or Vitality Decay removed

The number of components should be significantly reduced (cut in half, at least). The overall number of item affixes and drops in general could also be reduced.

Devotions shouldn’t be touched. They could even be expanded, it’s a great system.

And, this will be controversial, maybe we don’t really need so many builds in the sense that almost every skill supports almost every damage type - this doesn’t mean that I’m against that design, it’s just that I think that sometimes it’s even thematically out of place. Cold Grenado, Fire Bone Harvest, Physical Doom Bolt - are they really necessary?

Maybe it would be easier to create variety by creating more skills within a certain mastery than to make sure that every skill within a certain mastery synergizes with almost every damage type present in the game?

Crate have already said that if they make a GD2 in future they be looking at reducing the number of different damage types.

2 Likes

Yes. 10chars

1 Like

[quote=“Evil_Baka, post:20, topic:112727”]
we wouldn’t need Light’s Defender for Lightning Storm Totem and Valguur’s Hunger for Vitality as is the current

It makes sense from the numbers perspective, but there’s one huge problem here. There’s a thematic difference between a lightning caster and a vitality caster, and the difference is shown in the design and appearance of gear. Vitality caster should have dark red, creepy looking armor, helmet…while a lightning caster should have bright, blue gear. By making conversions function the way you describe them here, that difference would be lost.

Unless the conversion would change not only the damage types supported by the gear , but also the appearance of the gear.

Complexity of the game means you don’t get bored of playing it by finishing the game with only one character. Making it simple is equal to making it easy to digest and move on.

4 Likes