FYI: Sustainable forestry is already possible

you’re repeating the same fix that was already present at the time that Crate acknowledged this was an issue. The whole point is to not have to do this.

For wood availability, we noticed some of you have resorted to using décor trees to sustain your towns. While this is a fine workaround, it’s not exactly an enjoyable one. We are discussing solutions for sustainable forests. Ultimately, we want there to be a way to maintain forests on the map without requiring so much player micromanagement. Stay tuned for a future update!

The key part being micromanagement. This method requires zero micromanagement.

Nope. The key part is having to plant them in the first place. That itself is micromanagement. Once it’s established it may no longer require micromanagement, but that doesn’t remove the initial process nor does this change the problem.

I guess you’re in a bad mood and just looking for an argument? I’ve said previously in this thread the initial planting is tedious. Many players were/are planting trees every single year, this post was to help them. I dunno how to help you, maybe go outside and touch some real trees.

Keep it civil please.

As stated multiple times, Crate are working on a solution for sustainable forestry so keep an eye out for that happening in a future update.

3 Likes

Just to note: “sustainable forestry” was historically Damn Hard. As far back as the late Neolithic (ca. 2800 BCE the Cucuteni-Trypillia cities (up to 20,000 + population, so much bigger than our FF villages!) had cut down so many trees in their western Ukrainian homeland they materially changed the biome around their cities: changed extensive forests into grassy plains. The first historical evidence of coal as a fuel to heat homes in Europe (the game’s equivalent biome) is from 952 CE (in England) - because there was no accessible firewood left within walking distance of the city.

Shouldn’t surprise anyone that it takes a bunch of work to get to ‘sustainable forestry’ in the game . . .

2 Likes

From The Whole Earth Catalogue-

Founded in 1379, New College, Oxford is one of the oldest Oxford colleges. It has, like other colleges, a great dining hall with huge oak beams across the top, as large as two feet square, and forty-five feet long each.

A century ago, some busy entomologist went up into the roof of the dining hall with a penknife and poked at the beams and found that they were full of beetles. This was reported to the College Council, which met the news with some dismay, beams this large were now very hard, if not impossible to come by. “Where would they get beams of that caliber?” they worried.

One of the Junior Fellows stuck his neck out and suggested that there might be some worthy oaks on the College lands. These colleges are endowed with pieces of land scattered across the country which are run by a college Forester. They called in the College Forester, who of course had not been near the college itself for some years, and asked him if there were any oaks for possible use.

He pulled his forelock and said, “Well sirs, we was wonderin’ when you’d be askin’.”

Upon further inquiry it was discovered that when the College was founded, a grove of oaks had been planted to replace the beams in the dining hall when they became beetly, because oak beams always become beetly in the end. This plan had been passed down from one Forester to the next for over five hundred years saying “You don’t cut them oaks. Them’s for the College Hall.”

3 Likes

The Royal Navy from the early 17th century until the mid 18th century tried to reserve at least 40 acres of ‘mature’ oak, elm, or ash trees for every wooden ship-of-the-line they built. As that proved increasingly impossible, especially by the mid-18th century when they were trying to maintain 80 - 100 such ships and replacing a percentage of the timbers every year in each ship, they had to source their big ship timbers from North America and Scandinavia.
There’s a huge difference in the speed with which you can grow and replace small timber, like firewood, staves or withys, and Big Timbers, like the ones needed for timber-framed barns and buildings and big warships.

2 Likes

As of p5 this is no longer working on for me with freshly planted forests. I guess unlimited wood made the tighter economy balance tricky. Trees also cost 5g to plant now.

I was going to plant some around my wells early in t2 and saw the cost. Yeah… no. Probably won’t use them now until late game when I have too much gold and nothing to do with it, or only in arid conditions when wood is scarce.

Interesting. Maybe they want deforestation to be a real risk and get players to rely on the market more.

Or just getting ready to add their solution to the game in a future patch.

They increased in an earlier version (7.6?) the rate of natural seeding. If they want deforestation to be a risk they could just change that natural seeding level back. They made numerous changes in 8.x versions to the cost of items. I expect this is just part of that.

I told a lie (accidentally). They did eventually start self seeding, it just took a while longer than usual. So this method remain perfectly viable.

1 Like

Yep, just leave them long enough before felling and seedlings should start appearing in the gaps. I plant checkerboard style anyway if using placed trees, just because I think the gaps are needed for the seeding (although this is real world based and not game-evidenced).

In 0.8.0 it is still not good regrowing. I tested and did not place decoration trees.
This is my worker camp radius, they only cut big trees, but now not many are there
I think without decoration trees there is no way

How many people do you have working there though?

Only 2 and they cut stones in addition

You need to seed the workcamp area with heaps more deco trees to get it kickstarted.

I just have one worker in my work camps. So far haven’t had to move their radius. Depends on how thick the tree area is though.