Game crashing shortly after launch stuck at 1 fps on menu screen alt tabbing out and back in freezes and crashes game

I’m running windows 11 with the following specs and running into issues of the game launching at 1 fps and just crashing when I try to make any adjustments to video settings or alt tab out of the game.
|Processor|13th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i9-13900K 3.00 GHz|
|Installed RAM|32.0 GB (31.7 GB usable)|
|System type|64-bit operating system, x64-based processor|
With a 4080 on the latest driver

1 fps sometimes suggests nahimic drivers installed, tho usually doesn’t lead to crash (nahimic often comes with 3rd party sound systems or bundled with “gamer motherboards”)
i wonder if maybe it’s something else because of the crashing tho, could try the usual fixes, update GPU drivers, ensure video settings are proper, powerplan in control panel for both CPU and GPU, verify game files/reinstall
ensure antivirus or windows defender isn’t blocking it (manually whitelist/exclude the entire game install folder and grim dawn documents folder), - also ensure if using an AV there isn’t some active scan/shield running or ex ransomware protection
i’ve experienced Avast launching like a “deep scan” in the past while gaming and it would put my system to a crawl, subsequently turning it off (and excluding that game manually) stopped it from happening

Is there any kind of log file I can take a look at to see what’s causing the problems with the game? I tried using the repair tool in the game files folder and it won’t even run in a tiny window with downgraded graphics. I as well attempted to use process lasso to limit the cores to just physical cores to see if there was any issue with that. Also, tested disabling hyperthreading. Powerplan is set to best performance. No AV and windows defender has it marked as allowed. I’m on the 546.17 driver released on 11/14 for the Nvidia 4080. I also tested disabling all overlays incase that was causing the issue.

game should create a file in the documents/my games/grim dawn folder i thnk? you can post to the devs

Conduct normal monitoring of your system while this is happening. Run “Process explorer” (not Task manager) in background to see which process was eating up resources if any.

I tried that and didn’t see anything out of the ordinary before it crashed again. There’s not any error in the application logs in event viewer either.

Did you try verifying the game files to see if something is missing or wrong with your installation?

Yeah I’ve attempted verifying files I can try to uninstall and re-install though haven’t tried that yet.

Looks like reinstall didn’t resolve the issue either

That CPU comes with an integrated graphics card. I wonder if that has taken priority on your system instead of your GPU. Could try forcing the GPU for Grim Dawn.

I went and set it to high performance. There’s both the x64 and x86 versions listed there as I was trying both to see if I could get it to work. It’s still having the same weird issue. When it first starts up it’s at 144 fps for a second then it tanks to 1 and crashes out in under a minute.

Ok I found a solution for this. I was trying to fix a issue with another game The Finals. Which lead me to a solution that also fixed my issues with Grim Dawn.

It appears to be a issue with I9-13900K or KF cpu’s. I had to download Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and then adjust my multiplier on my performance cores from x55 to x54. (as part of being able to run Intel Extreme Tuning I also had to disable Virtualization-based security.

Not sure if this will help anyone else in the future or if there’s something that can be done to resolve the issues to prevent having to use this workaround.

2 Likes

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.