Giving Credit Where It's Due

I would like to extend the most sincere and heart-felt THANK YOU to CRATE ENTERTAINMENT. I am a huge blizzard fanboy. And I was very disappointed with the turn the Diablo Franchise made in diablo 3…

That being said, I have been independently gaming and not really enjoying it for the last 10 years. I always wanted something more, I knew there was something missing and I could identify it only in a personal context. I thirsted for a certain something. I longed for it. I long ago rested and gave up my passion for gaming. It died around 2004. 16 years ago. Everything since has felt like ashes in my mouth. Nothing satisfied.

I just want to tell whoever at Crate Entertainment that is responsible for this, and everyone who has contributed to it what an amazing job they have done. You have literally rekindled a major part of who I am, and as cheesy as it sounds, I am so grateful for the experience and nostalgic feeling this game brings to me.

For every movie that ends on a hook, and every book series that leaves you craving, every story that approaches near, but misses its mark… this is FINALLY the project that has satisfied that hunger. That lust. The need.

I truely and honestly want to thank the developers, the founders, and the owners. Thank you. Thank you. You have filled a yearing that roots deep to my youth. Something I did not think would ever be filled and gave up on, have been filled with this project. I appreciate it on a personal level.

This is the ending they never told. The plot that was never finished. The answers that never came.

This is the fulfillment of a half a life times yearning for something more.

This game has the atmosphere, the skill development, the itemization, the mechanics, the mood, the level of depth, the gameplay, everything i’ve wanted in a game that was never there.

I love it. It’s not perfect. and thats okay. The best things never are. But it satisfies, it fulfills. It’s the chapter that was never written and the story never told.

I genuinely appreciate its very existance and am glad to have discovered it and been able to experience the closure it has brought to the yearning I’ve had.

Thank you so very much.

Please Please Please - admins, modulators, whoever you are - if you are employed by Crate, can you PLEASE forward this message to those responsible.

Thank you.

I would pay 1000 x the cost of all games I currently “play” just to experience this one. I’m sold. I’m a fan. It’s what I’ve been looking for … for over 15 years.

For that, those responsible deserve to hear it. Good Job. Well Done. Thank you.

17 Likes

Welcome to the club of satisfied Crate customers. :grin: How far into Grim Dawn - the main campaign - are you?

3 Likes

Glad you’ve found your next satisfying journey! :smiley:

1 Like

Welcome brother, or sister! Youre going to get your moneys worth and then some!!

1 Like

Welcome to the game and to the forum. :slightly_smiling_face:

As you can see, no need for your message to be passed on; Zantai is usually hanging around (lazy dev that he is :wink: ) seeing what the fan base are up to with their comments/suggestions/complaints/etc. He’s project lead for the game and he also posts regular updates on what’s happening with the game’s development here

https://forums.crateentertainment.com/c/grimdawn/development-updates

Glad to hear you’re enjoying the game; it’s a gem which the team involved have worked hard to produce. I’m hoping their other games turn out to be the same.

And if you should ever tire of the vanilla game, you might like to try this mod out

If you argue that way, you could also say everything belonged into Feedback, because Crate e.g. got a lot of it from build guides. For feedback a post needs to be more specific (I’m aware that some critic can be rather unspecific. However, not everyone is that articulate, but should still be able to voice their opinion.) than this admittedly elaborate Thank You.

I see you still don’t want to be that guy. Fair enough. :grinning:

This is kinda how I feel about GD, minus the previous loss of love for gaming. I’ve been in love with single-player ARPGs pretty much since Diablo 1. I spent around 11 of my teenage years (wait, that doesn’t check out math-wise) playing Diablo 2, figuring out the ways to overcome all the difficulty and the obstacles it puts in your path.

But once I could finally say I’ve seen about as much of Diablo 2 as I had the patience for, I started coming up short on something to sate my ARPG cravings. Sacred 1 was an atrocity of design that I could write an essay about. TQ was great and was probably the closest I ever again came to that Diablo 2 binge, but it eventually started showing some flaws (mainly due to the sparsity of monster packs and imbalances in difficulty between acts). Diablo 3 is one of my greatest gaming regrets. Due to the way I play (level all characters through the difficulties simultaneously so I have good mental benchmarks of their power levels), it took me waaaaay too long to realise that “end-goal” I strive for in ARPGs wasn’t really there and that I was just wasting my time doing the “expected” thing all the time. Again, I could probably write several essays on how Diablo 3 utterly fails in being a good ARPG from its fundamental design. PoE was excellent, but the reliance on trading (or the godawful grind required for mats) to beat the end game was soul crushing for a single-player guy like me. Worse yet, its meta of “one-shot the screen or don’t bother” forces some really awful design such as spiky damage that have catastrophic consequences for underpowered characters. Plus, the pattern of clearing the screen with everything, melee or not, detracts from gameplay variety in a major way and makes the game rather tedious once you get past the initial “wow I’m strong now” phase.

But GD has it all. An amazing, atmospheric world that, for me came just at the right time (I was playing Darkest Dungeon at the time I found the game and the Lovecraftian setting was something I only just became interested in as a result). Multiple layers of progression so that you’re not just stuck looking at your experience bar waiting for it to move at higher difficulties. In other words, no matter how far you are from the next level, you’re always progressing in some way. Levelling devotion skills, gaining reputation, acquiring crucial crafting mats and iron bits (that you don’t even know you need until they’re all gone after an intense crafting session), nearing that next quest reward XP bump.

It has the slow, methodical, tactical play I became accustomed to from my years of playing D2. And above all, it has the build variety to put TQ to shame and every build…feels right. When you’re a poison spellcaster, the gear you wear, the procs you get from it, your devotions, all make it feel like you embody that poison playstyle. All you may be doing is spamming DEE but midway through the fight, you realise the floor is covered in pools of poison, there are poisonous spikes flying everywhere, disease is ravaging through the enemies who flee in panic and all you hear is the repulsive hissing of flesh melting in acid. And this goes for pretty much every one of the hundreds of possible builds. Each of them feels right, each of them feels “intended”, provided for, catered to. Even if some don’t have the direct, easy-to-access support that others do, there are bits and pieces that, when put together, make the build tick. And it feels satisfying figuring these things out for yourself and not being punished by immediate one-shots the moment you deviate from the norm. For a brewer like me, that’s huge.

I’m currently nearing 2k hours played, have somewhere around 30 characters at various stages in the game, and pretty much the only extended breaks I take from the game are when there’s a major update or expansion on the way that I want to wait for before I continue. I enjoy the game to such an extent I’m willing to tell anyone who will listen that it exists, because it deserves as much success as it can get. When I look at all the people still playind D3 and channels focusing on D3 and D4 news, all I can think of is “if only you knew”. And then I tell them. So that they know.

2 Likes

Very few “top tier” pet buids in GD are not mono-dmg and I think ppl have made “pure” phys pet builds but I ask @Maya to fill in the details. That said, pet dmg conversions are a bit rare still but has gotten much better in the recent patches. No pierce pet builds do not exist afaik.

Most pets have some AoE as skil modifier already and that is aslo what devotions are for. Bind e.g. fiend proc to a pet.

Also do not forget about pseudopets like Blade spirit and Guardians of Empyrion. They add lot of flavor to the summoning playstyle.

1 Like

I will save this epic quote for future reference! :smiley:

2 Likes

Devotion procs attached to pet scaled pets scale with pet bonuses.

1 Like

The Rocket science unfolds!

Doesn’t stop pet builds from apparently being able to killed by Zantai though. :scorv:

This ain’t a pet build topic folks. Get back on topic or make a new thread.

1 Like

Are you talking about 1.1.7.0 patch? Are the nerfs for pets are coming?! :wink: